What is a Top Chip worth to you?

What''s the Most You Would You Pay For the Top CPU (that also reaches the highest overclock)?

• $200

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • $300

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • $400

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • $500

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • $600-$800

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • $1000

Votes: 7 7.9%

• Total voters

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Supposing the Top CPU chip would overclock higher than any other chip.

I know there are a lot of philosophies, a lot of approaches to building performance computers, and of course application oriented builds, etc.

But....for a good number there is just the thrill and kick of having a top rig, like a top car (but cheaper :) ) and I'm curious to hear what you'd be willing to pay (for the cpu). Comments welcome.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
One thousand dollars seems like a good price to support the premium of having the highest grade chip, along with all of the ability it assumes. Better then the fifteen hundred that a chip can command at it's first selling.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Silly Poll IMHO.

It's all about cost/benefeit analysis.
How much power do you need? Paying for unused power is silly.
How much do you need the xtra power and what are you willing to pay for it.
Clearly the larger the difference in performance between low-end and high-end CPUs would lead to a paying a larger difference.

Lets Say .....

CPU A costs $100 and could achieve a peformance level of 100.
CPU B coast $110 and could acheive a peformance level of 105.
CPU C costs $900 and could acheive a peformance level of 107.

My answer of which CPU to buy would be different in each case.
Why would I pay 9x more for 7% permance?

However I may say that the 5% gain in is worth 10% more to me.

or This scenario................

CPU A costs $100 and could achieve a peformance level of 100.
CPU B coast $110 and could acheive a peformance level of 120.
CPU C costs $900 and could acheive a peformance level of 1200.

Maybe I only need a performance of 100 and stick with that.
Or I may toss in $10 and get a 20% gain.
Or If I was lucky and had the money and needed the power, I would get CPU C.

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
The top of the line chip is absolutely worthless to me, as is even middle of the road. Now for the reasoning. I can't afford to upgrade my system (p4 2.8 northwood, 2 gig ddr (all mix matched, so no dual channel), and an x800xl) in any manner that would allow me to use an different cpu or gpu for that matter.

Now, that my choice is out of the way, *IF* I had endless pockets (as many seem to), I would carefully weigh the difference in price/performance and choose which chip gives me the best bang for the buck. as previously posted, I dont see paying a huge premium for a small performance increase. Instead, I suggest going middle road and getting a lot more money in your pocket for feeding either the kids, or the computer habit, and be happy!

That is just my opinion and position, and I am sure I will recieve some flak for it.

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I said $300 cause in 6 months there will be something faster. Now if I was a reviewer or sponsored I would pay any amount necessary!

sailer

Splendid
I went for the 600-800 bracket. I don't know if that means I have more money than most people, that I desire more speed/power than most people, or that I'm more foolish with my money than most people. I'm not going to delve into the answer to that too much. I may not like the answer. At the same time, I usually figure that a higher end cpu will last me longer before replacement time, so that may balance the initial cost a bit.

I must add that I also tend to buy the highest end graphics card when I buy one, at least one close to the highest end. My reasoning is that the high end graphics cards will last longer before needing replacement and they will compliment the high end cpu the best. I think that getting a better graphics card usually take precidence over a better cpu, unless the cpu is very outdated.

Just my opinion and nothing else.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I would pay $0.

The reasoning is quite simple, the premium for the top chip is always going to be large, so no matter the cost the next model down will be far cheaper. I'd rather buy a mid-tier model more often, than spend twice as much to get a top tier that will be out of date in six months. Basically top tier (and I do not mean the stupid $10,000 PC's) costs twice as much, meaning if you aim a little bit lower you can upgrade more often at the same price and get better performance overall.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I wonder what type of PC Bill Gates has and how often it is updated?

Basically,

Clearly money would not even be the slightest concern.

Clearly upgrading would not necessarily be a hassle concern since I'm sure techs would handle it.

Heck, I wonder what type of PC he even has?

If I had to guess, he does not even have the $10,000 PCs that some folks build. They are of little real use and I don't think he need them for his ego :>

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Knowing how to OC, I would prefer not to spend more than $225ish or so on a chip for myself. But I'd be willing to spend up to around $300. That will get you tons of bang for the buck at stock or OC'd.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
If at the end of this year I can get a quad core (any quad core) between $200 and $300, only money issues can stop me from grabbing one, that's for sure.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I say $400... At that price Id buy a Pair :D

That must be one delicious pair

Late this year, one delicious pair of $400 quads sitting on a dual socket motherboard right next to 8GB of non-reg. Makes my mouth water! :lol:

I don’t see a pair working well in a computer. 8O Pairs are for eating. :p

Absolute maximum is $500, and then only if the "top chip" had SIGNIFICANT advantages over the next-lowest one (e.g. 8-core versus 4-core.) Otherwise I try to keep it under $300, $200 preferably. Most I've ever paid for a CPU was $360 for an X2 4200+ when it was a mere $20 over the 3800+ in early '06. There was a big jump from single-cores to the X2s in performance and the $20 to go from 2.0 to 2.2 GHz was a no-brainer. Could not stomach the $430 that the 4400 cost then.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Absolute maximum is $500, and then only if the "top chip" had SIGNIFICANT advantages over the next-lowest one (e.g. 8-core versus 4-core.) Otherwise I try to keep it under $300, $200 preferably. Most I've ever paid for a CPU was $360 for an X2 4200+ when it was a mere $20 over the 3800+ in early '06. There was a big jump from single-cores to the X2s in performance and the $20 to go from 2.0 to 2.2 GHz was a no-brainer. Could not stomach the $430 that the 4400 cost then.

heh heh, same choice near the same time. I think I paid $355. But now, until some new software changes things, that's all I'd pay for a top chip.