External drive mounted in NTFS folder - Access denied on LAN

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
I have an external USB drive which I have mounted as c:\mydrive (where c: is an NTFS volume). I have no problems accessing any of the drives from the host machine.

My problem is that when I share this folder over the LAN, with full write privileges, the other computers can see the list of subfolders in c:\mydrive, but when I try to access any of the sub-folders I get an "access denied" error. I'm running Windows XP SP2 on all machines on the LAN.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

mafadecay

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Ownership problems and permissions is what you have there. You must be logged on locally as the same user. If you are running a proper LAN then the users should be setup on a server not on the individual local machine. In affect if you create 2 users 1 on each machine called joe bloggs they are in fact 2 seperate users called the same. You need to inherit permissions from one machine. Or you need to take ownership of the files but as you are running a LAN you would have to keep taking ownership back and forth. Not very time friendly.

I am not 100% as do not know the setup of your LAN but you may well be able to goto the properties of the drive you want to share (Right click). Goto security tab and add everyone you want to allow read, execute, write, modify, delete etc. Problem might be your locally stored users will conflict and not be available on the uther machine. Otherwise you will need to look more into taking ownership route.

This is very similar to a post I have made today further up this forum. Can't remember who it was though sorry. If you do not have a clue what I am talking about let me know and I will point you to the exact post which explains things better.

itm

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
If I map the same USB drive to a drive letter, rather than an NTFS folder, then the remote machine has no problem reading the folders. This suggests no problem with permissions, right?

@itm
Right click the drive and select properties, make sure in the properties that read only isn't checked, if it is uncheck it, and allow the change to apply to all the subfolders and files.

Then open the drive and access a folder inside and double check by clicking properties on it, to make sure Windows has applied the change throughout the drive, sometimes it doesn't and that can cause no access, I've had similar problems myself.

mafadecay

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
If you map to a drive letter then share this maped drive you are bypassing the permissions by manually sharing the subcontainers and objects. Using it the otherway NTFS brings the owner status permissions back. You can't simply share it in this way with NTFS.

Are any machines using XP home by any chance as these only use simple file sharing and were not really designed for a network. Also this is setup in XP Pro as default. Make sure all computers that require access have not got simple file sharing ticked. Open windows explorer and click on tools then folder options. Click the view tab and at the bottom make sure there is no tick in use simple file sharing (recommended).

mafadecay

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
It also still depends on how your LAN is configured and how the users are setup. Is this a LAN at work or a home jobbie you setup yourself?