jaoreill

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
have two machines running vista home (one 32 and one 64bit) I have attempted everything to get these fools to share, but achieved next to nothing. Both machines see each other and the shared folders, and I have sharing of the public folder, but any other folder i access over the network gets slapped with a 0x80070005 access denied. I have both machines on private network setting, same workgroup, without password protected file sharing. Neither of the machines have an account password either. What am i doing wrong?

search on google - google is your friend

sailer

Splendid
Welcome to Vista and its annoyances. Vista is filled to the brim with things that are designed to protect you from yourself. You probably need to move anything that you want to share into the public folder. Otherwise, Vista will think that that its something not to be shared and it will surround that thing with all kinds of safeguards. Someone else may know how to share folders, but so far, the only way I have found is to put stuff I want to share into the public folder.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Make sure you turn on "Public File Sharing" in your settings, not just file sharing. If you don't have public file sharing turned on you will have to create user accounts for both computers on one another. You should also check your NTFS permissions, make sure that everyone has Read access.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
In the future, Windows will require passwords on all user accounts if you want to access account documents across a share (even Windows Home Server requires that). It's just easier to always use Public, considering that's what it was made for.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I had to tinker with the settings before I could share on Vista but it wasn't anything out of the normal. Relax a bit then try and take a fresh new look at it. That's what I did. My wife is on Vista 32 and I'm on 64.

G

whats funny is this happened to me too except it only happens on my external drives, cant get them to share with other pcs for the life of me. i just gave up and switched all my storage to an xp computer. Also its not just a setting change i literally have EVERYTHING turned on for file sharing and have given access to everyone. It sees the computer but none of the folders its sharing.

drumr1829

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007

Do you have account passwords on the vista and xp PC's? I've tried everything but putting in passwords...

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I actually had to create a password on my main computer to get Peachtree to connect over the network.

Vista has many annoying features this is one of many. My personal favorite and the one I turn off immediately is "Windows needs your permission."

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
I had to do the same to ssh in Cent OS 4.5 in my cluster. Every time I tried to log into my compute nodes with an account that was without a password I always got kicked out. Whenever I tried to copy files to the nodes. same thing.... A minor inconvenience at most, but that is what seems to make that distro happy.

Silly idea for security espeically when everything is in a locked computer lab and is not networked. Even if someone got in the account is so limited they wouldn't be able to do anything. They couldn't even run X as it causes the compute nodes to crash lol.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-share-a-folder-the-xp-way-in-windows-vista/
That link gives a few ideas that may help. In fact, here's the google page: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sharing+files+in+vista

I haven't used Vista for file sharing yet but will be setting things up soon and an very interested in problems other people are having. I've been told that the business version makes file sharing and remote access earier.

Cisco, also interested in your comment about Peachtree since the system I'll be interfacing with uses MS Access to coordinate databases from Peachtree to derive other forms and databases. Any other input would be appreciated.

Vista requires the right setup in the Network and Sharing Centre, the right firewall config (windows or 3rd party), network permissions and NTFS permissions - this stuff has been around since NT, surely someone has figured how to use them by now :sarcastic:

Been running a windows vista file server for months now (Vista Ultimate, just sharing files, virus scanner to look after it all, just for temporary storage) - XP would cut out on the same setup, got sick of it so tried vista and perfect since, not to mention to install on a Intel Matrix Raid setup it was so much easier - no stupid disks needed, automatic updated found everything.

Two minutes and everyone could access the thing across two network cards for two Independent bandwidths - couldn't be easier, dont blame an OS because YOU dont know how to use it.

darrylsh

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
When my wife got a new laptop with Vista on it, I had trouble getting it set-up on the network, in the end it turned out to be Norton firewall that was preinstalled as part of Norton security suite. I tried to configure it, but ended up having to disable it to get the file sharing to work.