goodolpc

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
I have had an old Dell 2200 computer kicking around for nearly a year. It was free to me. It was a celeron 1.3 with 256mb and a 20gb hard drive. This type of PC normally gets thrown in the trash by the average person.

I've kept it around all this time knowing that "someone" would have a use for it.

So I get an email recently from a company that is looking to run an old DOS program, and that is it. They want to buy a newer PC, budget is not an issue. However, I talk them into trying this relic PC instead.

W2K was loaded and off we went. Their network was found easily and the program was launched from a network location. Everything ran smoothly and the company is ecstatic that they didn't have to spend any money to get the task done.

In fact, another 3ghz computer running XP takes longer to load the same program.

+1 for W2K!

Save those old computers, you just never know!!!

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
My heart cracks a little everytime I hear someone threw their computer away or destroyed it for fun. Every computer, and I mean EVERY computer can be worth something. Whether it runs MS-DOS 4.0 or Windows ME, it still has life to do what it was made for.

I gladly buy computers off anyone in order to avoid it from a demise in the disposal dump. As I'm sure there is someone who will want or need it.