Sign in with
Your question

AVI Codec for Windows Media Player. Help

Last response: in Windows XP
April 14, 2008 3:51:51 AM

I have a bunch of projects and videos saved as AVI files which have worked in the past on my Windows Media Player and now that I have reformatted and installed a fresh copy of windows on my computer and I cant seem to play AVI's anymore. So whats the deal???????? I have all the windows updates installed minus SP3 and have Windows Media Player 11. Please help.
April 14, 2008 4:59:13 AM

Get VLC. Kick media player to the curb. Used version 8.6 to be compatible for all types of .flv files.
April 14, 2008 5:38:34 AM

Thats what I needed to hear my man. I will give it a shot. I still dont know why I have always been able to play AVI files and all of the sudden I cant.
Related resources
April 14, 2008 3:13:32 PM

You are still missing the codecs. If you still want to use MP11 then google AVI codecs and install them. Try download.com or twocows etc for ace mega codecs download. This has most the codecs you will ever need.
April 14, 2008 9:19:46 PM

Man VLC is awesome. I love the features it comes with. Thanks for showing me.

So it was that easy to just download them from download.com. Well, at least I found a new cool program VLC now too. Thanks guys.
April 15, 2008 2:39:14 AM

Got what I needed, thanks guys. You all rock!
April 15, 2008 3:04:02 PM

mafadecay said:
You are still missing the codecs. If you still want to use MP11 then google AVI codecs and install them. Try download.com or twocows etc for ace mega codecs download. This has most the codecs you will ever need.

I looked up "ace mega codecs", and found this:

April 15, 2008 3:13:00 PM

@Jake_Barnes

Hi Jake, How've you been doing, I hope excellent man!

Have a great day! Ryan
April 15, 2008 9:13:40 PM

I got that version 6.03 before they stopped developing and AVIs play fine for me. There are other AVI codecs available then. Follow 4Ryan6's link and you should find what you are looking for.
!