Vista 64-bit install error, missing/corrupt install.wim

Brandon53

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Sorry in advance for the lengthy writeup, just trying to be as thorough as possible.

First my specs:

Striker II Forumla Mobo
Intel Core 2 duo e6300
4GB Mushkin Redline PC2 8000 (2x2gb)
2x WD Cavier SE 16 250gb HDD (raid 0)
Asus EN9600GT 512mb Graphics
Attempting to install Vista Home Premium 64-bit version

The problem:

I am trying to do a clean install of Windows Vista Home premium 64-bit version on to the machine. It is a new build and all the hardware is working great and all looks well in the BIOS.

I previously had the 32-bit version of the OS installed and then decided to go 64 bit when I got the new hardware(mobo, CPU, and GPU). Every time I boot from the disk to perform the install it takes forever to get to the first screen, like abnormally long. It finally gets to the point where I can enter my product key, after clicking on Next it sits for a good 15 minutes then I get an error message reading:

Cannot find file D:\Source\install.wim. File is either corrupt or missing blah blah blah.

After a few attempts I then tried removing a stick of ram, I got further this time, was able to format my hard drives and install the new 64-bit raid controller. Then it copied the files in a matter of seconds and hung on (Expanding Files) at 0% for a good hour and a half. I then decided to reboot and try again only to get the same error message again.

I looked online at other forums and I saw a lot of problems with people downloading the OS and it not matching the ISO, but this DVD is straight from Microsoft, so there shouldn't be any download errors there. My question is should I just stop beating around the bush with Microsoft and have them send me a new copy, or do I have some unforeseen hardware problem?

Note: I did call Vista tech support and they had me go into the DVD and find the install.wim and copied it to my desktop (we did this on my laptop) apparently this proved the DVD was NOT broken.

Please any help would be great and again sorry for the giant wall of text.

What model DVD reader are you using? Is it SATA or IDE? Sounds like you may have an issue with the DVD reader here.

What voltage is your Mushkin set to in the BIOS? It should be set to 2.2 or 2.3, most BIOS will default to 1.8 or so which is too low. In any event go into BIOS and set the RAM voltage manually to mfg. specs. The exact spec should be on the package but it looks like it is rated 2.2 - 2.3 from what I see on Google.

Stay with 1 stick of RAM until you sort this out. Put the second stick back after installing Vista.

Try the RAM voltage. You may have to poke around in the BIOS to find it.

I see where you had same system running Vista 32, is that correct? I missed that the first read. If so then your hardware and BIOS settings ought to work. I'd try another DVD reader if you have one.

Brandon53

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Vista 32 was installed on the HDD's but the Motherboard is completely new.

Old motherboard was an Asus P5N32 SLI se Deluxe.

I tried to set up the BIOS best I could before I started to attempt to install vista 64.

I got the timings and voltage setting for the RAM from Mushkin then I tweaked the FSB a little bit. Then enabled the Raid controller and that was it for the BIOS

This RAM here? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146755

If so then 2.0 - 2.1 looks correct. And your timings look right too.

Setting up the RAID array went OK with no problems?

I'd try a different DVD reader. That's all I can think of ATM. Somebody else may jump in with more. I'd still stick with one stick of RAM for the moment.

You tweaked the FSB? As in an overclock? If so try installing Vista at all default settings. I'm sure you can go back and OC later. Maybe some issue there.

Brandon53

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
eh, burners are relatively cheap now anyway.

And yea I did do a little OC'ing to the FSB just took it to 1333 from 1066. I will set it to default and then redo the Memory timings. just to make sure it's nothing I screwed up.

Yea the computer is reading the Raid array as a healthy stripe. I should probably redo it though since the array was created on my old Mobo and for some reason it carried over with the new one and I never thought to just redo it.

So I have a few things to try when I get home LOL.

And yea I did do a little OC'ing to the FSB just took it to 1333 from 1066.

Stock Intel cooling? I'm not sure what the 6300 will do on stock. So it's running now at what, about 2.8 instead of 1.86? Installing Vista at stock settings would be my first choice. Then OC gradually until you start failing stability tests. I always install my OS at stock and then OC later.

Brandon53

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Fixed.

Got a new DVD drive that was Vista Capable and SATA. Worked like a charm.

Also re-installed the other stick of RAM and Windows is reading all 4GB of RAM.

Thanks for the help.