Switching from 32-bis OS to 64 bit OS

ak17

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Hello,
I have blade server(Xenon E5504) and I have installed RHEL5.5(32 bit OS) on it. Now, i m thinking of switching to 64 bit OS. Should I switch? and IF Yes, which is the Linux Distro I should go for? Thanks.

G

Yes, but I have been hearing a lot of problematic stuff going on with the 64bit versions of Distros? Has an effective utility been initialised to effectively convert 32bit instructions to 64bit as on Windows 7? If there is I am definitely down to move on up to 64bit.

You've heard wrong. The x64 chips run 32-bit instructions natively and need no conversion. Not that it matters - if you run 64-bit Linux all your programs will be 64-bit.

G

But what I am saying is that I thought that some 32bit instructions need to be converted to better handle them and process them (i.e. WOW64 or whatever on Win7.) If this is the case though I might unleash a 64bit on this.

No. No conversion is necessary, just a little redirecting of library calls. (On the Itanium the situation is different; here emulation is required, with a consequent performance hit. But I'm prepared to bet the farm that you don't have an Itanium.)

But Windows On Windows is irrelevant to Linux and, as I said before, there's no reason to run 32-bit applications on Linux anyway (again I'm betting that you don't run any proprietary 32-bit Linux programs for which there are no 64-bit equivalents).

G

Okay so you guys are saying that the 32bit libraries have to be on? So, thinking this... could I just install the 64 bit libraries or do I have to re-install fresh and back up all of my stuff?

It's not just a question of 64-bit libraries. The kernel and all the userworld programs will be 64-bit as well. It's really a question of backing up your data and reinstalling. I wouldn't attempt to just upgrade a 32-bit sytem to a 64-bit one.

Good luck with it. Linux has been 64-bit far longer than Windows so all the problems have been ironed out by now. I've been using 64-bit Linux for 7 or 8 years now (might be longer - I can't really remember) and the only problem I had at all was with Flash; but that's OK now.

G

I just installed 64bit now it looks like it is time to re-install all of my programs over again, haha. Saved all the data. The best thing that I notice is 3.4Gig of RAM and not 2.7Gig of RAM like on the 32bit. Also, when it boots there is no wait time to use the menus, etc.

randomizer

Champion

Just to clarify this point: The 32-bit kernel would not support running 64-bit code even if you had 64-bit libs. But a 64-bit kernel normally supports running 32-bit applications unless you explicitly disable this before compiling it.