Compare versions

I'm brand new to XP and buying my adult son a computer. He'll want CD/DVD
capability, but also needs it for word processing, internet, some limited
home business applications. I can't find a comparison of XP Home version to
Media Center to see which provides what he will be using. Can anyone clue me
in? Does Media have Word/Office/etc as well as media applications?
--
J White

Niether xp home,pro,or xp media center have office,word,or any office
software,you'd have to add on as needed.XP media has some capabilities
home or pro dont highlite,the xp home page at microsoft have the os
descriptions.

In news:56211E40-3365-49D0-89D1-5D4251358F91@microsoft.com,
Judy White <JudyWhite@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I'm brand new to XP and buying my adult son a computer. He'll
> want
> CD/DVD capability, but also needs it for word processing,
> internet,
> some limited home business applications. I can't find a
> comparison
> of XP Home version to Media Center to see which provides what
> he will
> be using. Can anyone clue me in? Does Media have
> Word/Office/etc as
> well as media applications?

No, neither Media Center nor XP Home, nor any other version of
Windows has ever come with "Word/Office/etc." Some vendors may
bundle Microsoft Office as part of the package they sell you, but
that's another issue. If you don't buy from such a vendor, and he
wants Office, he (or you) will have to buy it separately.

Based on the needs you describe, Home Edition will do just fine
for him. You've described nothing that indicates he needs Media
Center Edition.

Please reply to the newsgroup

No version of Windows includes any Office programs. Some PC
manufacturer's do bundle Office, but you'll have to check with them
and make sure they are not a time-limited trial version.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Judy White" wrote:

| I'm brand new to XP and buying my adult son a computer. He'll want CD/DVD
| capability, but also needs it for word processing, internet, some limited
| home business applications. I can't find a comparison of XP Home version to
| Media Center to see which provides what he will be using. Can anyone clue me
| in? Does Media have Word/Office/etc as well as media applications?
| --
| J White

Judy - the computer to run WinXP MCE will cost about 10 fold what a computer
to run WinXP Home will. Maybe that will help you make the decision?

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Judy White" <JudyWhite@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm brand new to XP and buying my adult son a computer. He'll want CD/DVD
> capability, but also needs it for word processing, internet, some limited
> home business applications. I can't find a comparison of XP Home version
> Media Center to see which provides what he will be using. Can anyone clue
> me
> in? Does Media have Word/Office/etc as well as media applications?
> --
> J White

Hi Judy,
As a non-expert, I may give a different perspective :)

Media Center vs. Home Edition --
As Admiral Q pointed out, a media center equipped computer is going to be
pretty expensive. It's really intended, like the name says, for people who
want to make their computer the center for all their entertainment -- TV,
games, etc. Just playing and even writing normal CDs and DVDs does not
require XP Media Center. It sounds like a computer with Home Edition will
be just fine.

Word/Office applications:
As the others have said, this is not part of Windows XP, whether Home Ed or
Media Center. Some manufacturers will bundle Office or Word with the
computer, but those are likely to be pricier. More will bundle Microsoft
Works, since it's cheaper and fine for many personal and business
applications; or will include some other office suite. Depending on what
your son's needs are, any of these may be fine. If this computer is
intended to "take work home from the office", best to find out what he uses
at the office.

Some non-technical words: Are you consulting with your son or trying to
surprise him? In a sense, a computer is personal enough ... there are
enough options ... that a surprise might backfire unless you know both his
needs and computers / the computer market pretty well. Extra money spent on
the computer itself, or premium software like Microsoft Office, might be
better spent on, say, an inexpensive laser printer or a gigantic hard
drive -- it depends so much on what he wants to do with the computer.

"Judy White" <JudyWhite@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm brand new to XP and buying my adult son a computer. He'll want CD/DVD
> capability, but also needs it for word processing, internet, some limited
> home business applications. I can't find a comparison of XP Home version
> Media Center to see which provides what he will be using. Can anyone clue
me
> in? Does Media have Word/Office/etc as well as media applications?
> --
> J White

Well written ggull.

You may not be an expert, but you have given this a lot of thought and raise
some good points.

Gord

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:04:27 -0400, "ggull" <ggullSPAM@NOTrcn.com> wrote:

>Hi Judy,
>As a non-expert, I may give a different perspective :)
>
>Media Center vs. Home Edition --
>As Admiral Q pointed out, a media center equipped computer is going to be
>pretty expensive. It's really intended, like the name says, for people who
>want to make their computer the center for all their entertainment -- TV,
>games, etc. Just playing and even writing normal CDs and DVDs does not
>require XP Media Center. It sounds like a computer with Home Edition will
>be just fine.
>
>Word/Office applications:
>As the others have said, this is not part of Windows XP, whether Home Ed or
>Media Center. Some manufacturers will bundle Office or Word with the
>computer, but those are likely to be pricier. More will bundle Microsoft
>Works, since it's cheaper and fine for many personal and business
>applications; or will include some other office suite. Depending on what
>your son's needs are, any of these may be fine. If this computer is
>intended to "take work home from the office", best to find out what he uses
>at the office.
>
>Some non-technical words: Are you consulting with your son or trying to
>surprise him? In a sense, a computer is personal enough ... there are
>enough options ... that a surprise might backfire unless you know both his
>needs and computers / the computer market pretty well. Extra money spent on
>the computer itself, or premium software like Microsoft Office, might be
>better spent on, say, an inexpensive laser printer or a gigantic hard
>drive -- it depends so much on what he wants to do with the computer.
>
>"Judy White" <JudyWhite@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm brand new to XP and buying my adult son a computer. He'll want CD/DVD
>> capability, but also needs it for word processing, internet, some limited
>> home business applications. I can't find a comparison of XP Home version
>> Media Center to see which provides what he will be using. Can anyone clue
>me
>> in? Does Media have Word/Office/etc as well as media applications?
>> --
>> J White

Thanks -- but I cheated, having gone through the computer acquisition thing
recently, though for myself. I just put myself in the position of someone
else (like my own mother ;-) trying to have bought just exactly what I
needed/wanted without wasting a lot of money. The good news for Judy is
that there are a lot of bargains out there if you're a little flexible and
handy with rebates.
-- another gord (that's the first g in ggull)

"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote ...