Barcelona overclocks and Sandra scores all lies?

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
http://dailytech.com/Barcelona+Benchmarks++Dont+Believe+Em+Just+Yet/article7291.htm

Silly sill Fudzilla. DailyTech does say we can expect real scores around Computex (June 5th to 9th)...

Rest assured, real Barcelona benchmarks will arrive shortly. AMD typically releases two spins of silicon before retail samples, EVT followed by DVT. As of May 2007, several EVT samples are floating around, though it's difficult to predict the actual retail performance of K10 via these engineering samples. AMD still had serious bugs in its EVT samples before AM2 launched, and the only real change presented on that architecture was the DDR2 memory controller -- for Barcelona we're talking about a dramatically new design.

With Computex coming up in less than a month, it's fairly reasonable to expect a flood of authentic benchmarks to make waves just after or during the show. And yet even then, don't be so quick to believe the Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt until we start seeing DVT and Retail samples.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
haha thats too funny! :lol:

Do these people enjoy being made to look like idiots?!
They are prolly playing games with scientia's brain too. Or maybe they pose as him, the super fanboi, so they can feed other idiots bs. Bit like an AMD religion? :lol:

killer_roach

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Even though my next system, barring a miracle, will probably be Intel-based, I'm pretty hardware agnostic (have gone back and forth between nVidia and ATI, as well as between AMD and Intel)... and would hope to see AMD at least be competitive, as when one or the other hasn't really been, the other tends to just park things, in terms of both performance and price... and that benefits none of us.

To both AMD and Intel: The first one to ship a capable native quad core CPU will get my purchasing dollars, whether that ends up being a Phenom FX or a Wolfdale-based Core 2 Quadro...

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
To both AMD and Intel: The first one to ship a capable native quad core CPU will get my purchasing dollars, whether that ends up being a Phenom FX or a Wolfdale-based Core 2 Quadro...

Why native? Tell me the difference between a glued quad and a "native", especially across different architectures.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
http://dailytech.com/Barcelona+Benchmarks++Dont+Believe+Em+Just+Yet/article7291.htm

Silly sill Fudzilla. DailyTech does say we can expect real scores around Computex (June 5th to 9th)...

Rest assured, real Barcelona benchmarks will arrive shortly. AMD typically releases two spins of silicon before retail samples, EVT followed by DVT. As of May 2007, several EVT samples are floating around, though it's difficult to predict the actual retail performance of K10 via these engineering samples. AMD still had serious bugs in its EVT samples before AM2 launched, and the only real change presented on that architecture was the DDR2 memory controller -- for Barcelona we're talking about a dramatically new design.

With Computex coming up in less than a month, it's fairly reasonable to expect a flood of authentic benchmarks to make waves just after or during the show. And yet even then, don't be so quick to believe the Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt until we start seeing DVT and Retail samples.

AMD released their own numbers for Sandra. 400,000 its (fp) 300,000its (int). It's said that 5335 scores 300,000(fp) and 180,000 (int).

I don't think we have to worry about the benchmarks. The sores will be amazing.

I think the biggest effect would be the two glued dies with individual caches having to communicate over the FSB (with the RAM, too) as opposed to the K10 quad cores sharing the L3 cache on the same die . . . .

Just a quick thought . . .

I think the biggest effect would be the two glued dies with individual caches having to communicate over the FSB (with the RAM, too) as opposed to the K10 quad cores sharing the L3 cache on the same die . . . .

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Ok Mr. Roboto. Given a choice between a fast glued quad and a slow native quad, which would you choose? No answer needed.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
AMD released their own numbers for Sandra. 400,000 its (fp) 300,000its (int). It's said that 5335 scores 300,000(fp) and 180,000 (int).

I don't think we have to worry about the benchmarks. The sores will be amazing.

I'm going to make this easy on you.
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=663&Itemid=1
lol

Thx. I didn't think it was there. I remember hearing that from AMD. Still, though AMD makes CPUs so I think this one will be better than Opteron Dual. A LOT BETTER.

DailyTech does say we can expect real scores around Computex (June 5th to 9th)...
I find this to be slightly amusing while at the same time disappointing. Months and months of delays, multiple NDA's and little to go on besides a couple slides, some graphs, die shots and a list of changes.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
The sores will be amazing.
When first K10 benchmarks arrive, just stay away from razor blades.

My life doesn't revolve around benchmarks and I have no AMD stock so I will wonder why they put out ANY numbers, simulated or not. Again though, these are the engrs who made the Opteron. WHy wouldn't they be able to improve upon it? That's all they have to do. The first numbers Intel released last year compared C2D to PD not to X2. If AMD concentrates on tracing out what will speed up each core they will surpass C2Q easily.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006

ooooooo...
i bet fuad is probably throwing stuff in his office now... :lol:

jackxlj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
bah,im sad now...but happy as well. AMD stock is going up,and i bought lots when it was going down...but ima have to agree with BM on this matter. The opteron is an incredible feat of engineering...so 10h will be amazeing...but it wont rival the effect that the original Opteron had. When the Opteron was launched, it was like a fat kid in a locked cant store with no one to say no...them gummi bears didnt stand a chance...it had no compition...but 10h has an Intel product that performs like it should...fun times!

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
The sores will be amazing.

Yes, but only for the Barcelona STD stepping. :wink:

I knew I should have fixed that typo. Oh well.

Baron, don't worry. Follow my example. I've embraced my STDs. My venereal diseases have freed my intellect and my soul. I've come out of the syphillitic closet and intend to stay out. I wear my sores as badges of honour! :D

Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
In the server space Barcelona will clean up with intel, particlarly for dual socket and up.

Already a quad socket dual core Opteron setup outperforms the Xeon dual socket quad core.

see http://www50.sap.com/benchmarkdata/sd2tier.asp

Now the current 4 core Xeon does not scale above two socket.

So even if barcelona has no performance advantage over opteron, the fact that it will scale to 4 sockets 16 cores eating into the itanium space

annihilatorpro

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006