Sign in with
Your question

xp install to vista computer

Last response: in Windows Vista
May 3, 2008 8:14:23 PM

i have an HP pavillion slimsize running vista. i want to make it an xp.after running the xp cd for 20 seconds , it says A PROBLEM HAS DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUTDOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER,IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU SEE THIS STOP ERROR SCREEN, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.IF THIS SCREEN APPEARS AGAIN,FOLLOW THESE STEPS. CHECK FOR VIRUSES,REMOVE ANY NEWLY INSTALLED HARD DRIVES OR HARD DRIVE CONTROLLERS.CHECK YOUR HARD DRIVE IF IT IS PROPERLY CONFIGURATED AND TERMINATERD. RUN CHKDSK / F TO CHECK FOR HARD DRIVE CORRUPTION, im not a computer genius..any one can help me with this.i dont know what to do. thanks to all who can help in advance

More about : install vista computer

May 3, 2008 8:30:32 PM

Are you running it in windows? If so you need to boot from it, instead of running in windows vista.

Go into Bios and change boot order or hit F8 while its starting and it should give you options where to boot from.
m
l
May 3, 2008 8:35:14 PM

^^ Yup.

Vista will not let you install an older version of an MS operating system.
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2008 8:36:54 PM

yes this is windows vista home premium.do i have to uninstall this .but i think i cannot,cause i try unless someone there can help .
m
l
May 3, 2008 9:10:47 PM

Read my last post. I dont know how it could be any more straight forward.
m
l
May 3, 2008 9:20:08 PM

^^ yup again.

You can't just "uninstall" windows so to speak. You'll need to boot to the XP disk rather than run the installation from vista, or well any other method for that matter. It simply won't work unless you boot to the XP disk prior to the install.
m
l
!