Sign in with
Your question

About Kernel and module management, logfile analysis

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
October 12, 2010 7:12:28 PM

OK so this is my homework for my Linux class, I dont understand whats going on and this is fairly confusing to me, I dont ask that you do it, i just ask if someone can help explain some of it to me, in simple terms. So that i can do my homework.

Number 8, he wants me to log from one Linux machine to another, although i do not have 2... so how can i do this? i need a copy of a the packets being sent back on forth....

any help would be great =)

1. which logfile contains boot messages and general system messages?
2. what is the /var/log/wtmp file for?
3. (2 points) Where do failed ssh logins get logged?
4. what command will show the contents of the kernel ring buffer?
5. show the syntax of the command which will add the message 'kilroy was here' to /var/log/messages:
6. (4 points) explain the format of a line in /var/log/messages:

7. Where does cron log messages?
8. (5 points) configure your system logger to send all messages to the instructors workstation. Get instructor sign-off.

9. What does an = (equal sign) in front of a priority, in the /etc/syslog.conf file, mean?

10. What does an asterisk (*), in either the facility or priority specification of the /etc/syslog.conf file, mean?

11. what flag, in /etc/sysconfig/syslog, will instruct the syslog daemon to accept remote logging requests?
12. What command will show the name of the currently running kernel version, and when it was built?
13. how many modules are currently inserted into your kernel?
14. what command did you use in the previous question?
15. what command will install a module and all of its requirements?
16. what command will remove a module from the currently running kernel
17. what directory holds all kernel modules for your current kernel?
October 13, 2010 12:53:41 AM

I suggest you start by installing arch or gentoo linux and read the documentation and manual (man) pages. Of course you can stick to your distribution of choice, but you wont ever learn it until you practice.

For example all of your answers can be found in these four man pages:
man syslog
man cron
man modprobe
man wtmp

as to the logging of one computer to the other: use a virtual machine like virtualbox and capture packets with wireshark or similar.
m
l
October 13, 2010 1:48:56 PM

It says to do that last bit to the tutors box, that's why it gets a sign-off. VM's are a fantastic way to play though and never more than a snapshot away from where you started.

m
l
October 17, 2010 10:57:24 PM

im in your class second time youve put the lab on here. teacher did q 8 in class. he also answerd half of the questions on lab in class. stop playing on facebook and playing with your phone and you might just learn something. this lab is not hard if you use google youll have this lab done 20min.
m
l
October 18, 2010 12:21:00 AM

Facebook is an amazing waste of time. Every time I take a programming class there's at least 2 people on facebook at all times instead of working on their assignments and asking for help. They wonder why I don't give them good marks. :lol: 
m
l
October 25, 2010 12:59:02 AM

ann_49 said:
im in your class second time youve put the lab on here. teacher did q 8 in class. he also answerd half of the questions on lab in class. stop playing on facebook and playing with your phone and you might just learn something. this lab is not hard if you use google youll have this lab done 20min.

I see, I am unsure who you are in my class that is. But I am on facebook on breaks and a few times well class is going. Otherwise i am entering commands and or talking to the guy next to me Hoang about class. Trying to figure out the hw well he is going over stuff in class. He gose fast and i have a hard time keeping up... And dont know that i am on my phone hardly at all.... if you are talking about hoang who is on facebook and his phone the entire class...

I wouldnt be on here if i didnt need help... Thanks for pointing out your views,

I have used google, and it dose not help....

You all come on here and accuse me of not trying. but some people actually have a harder time. and legitimately do try.

So accuse me of facebook, but i do pay attention. May be easier for you ann, hell for lots of the people in class.. not for me tho.

and yes, i am looking into other careers, i love comps but this linux class and my networking class i took, bouth did not understand well.
m
l
October 25, 2010 5:04:13 PM

I see your points man and i do understand. But here is the thing some of the linux teachers have been asking about these posts. puting the whole lab up like your doing can comeback and bite you in the ass. It can be called a violation of student code of conduct. If your going to ask for help on a forum do it one question at a time. Dont risk getting kicked out.
If he is going to fast tell him to slow down and go over it again. do that as many times as needed during the class period. you wont piss anyone off by doing that.
If your that stumped on linux you might want to go down to the resource center theres a lady down there thats really good at explaining linux.
I hate linux and it does not come easily to me what i have found is the easiest way to get through linux. is just dont think just type commands until it works. and when you find one that works write it down right away.

you should be pleased to know that the ccis teachers are going to redo the linux classes and mabey even but a intro to linux class in there.
m
l
October 25, 2010 5:09:49 PM

Impossible that you cannot find information about syslog, cron, and modprobe...
Simply type one of those in google and you gets TONS of RELEVANT information.
*cron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
*Newbie: Intro to cron
*Crontab – Quick Reference
*CronHowto - Community Ubuntu Documentation
*Configuring cron jobs | drupal.org
Likewise the man pages included in your distribution have all the documentation to get things running.

Btw, it seems "intro" to linux would be a good option for you, as so far you have failed to understand the basic GNU components...
m
l
October 25, 2010 6:06:51 PM

ryanla2r said:
I see, I am unsure who you are in my class that is. But I am on facebook on breaks and a few times well class is going. Otherwise i am entering commands and or talking to the guy next to me Hoang about class. Trying to figure out the hw well he is going over stuff in class. He gose fast and i have a hard time keeping up... And dont know that i am on my phone hardly at all.... if you are talking about hoang who is on facebook and his phone the entire class...

I wouldnt be on here if i didnt need help... Thanks for pointing out your views,

I have used google, and it dose not help....

You all come on here and accuse me of not trying. but some people actually have a harder time. and legitimately do try.

So accuse me of facebook, but i do pay attention. May be easier for you ann, hell for lots of the people in class.. not for me tho.

and yes, i am looking into other careers, i love comps but this linux class and my networking class i took, bouth did not understand well.

I'd suggest you also avoid careers involving the use of English.
m
l
!