Managing Size of C:\ with Vista 64

JJC58

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
New build and started using Vista 64. Three partitions on a Raptor 150 gb drive: C=Vista, D=Games, E=Programs. I am using a second harddrive for Data, Swap Partition, etc.

I attempted redirecting \Users\Music, \Users\Pictures, etc. to the second hard drive and I've installed Programs by pointing them to E:\Programs.

My concern is there seems to be a ton of Files and Folders populating the C:\Vista 64 partition. These include program files of different types in C:\Program Files (x86) and E:\Program Files (X86) as well as many \User\ID\AppData folders and files.

Also, it seems Outlook 2007 Files end up in C:\Users with Hotmail type accounts unable to be moved.

My whole intent was to keep C:\Vista as a small partition with only operating system. It appears it is rapidly filling up with solutions for redirecting being scarce.

Anyone with similar issues or concerns. Any good solutions or workaround that do not add to much overhead - such as Windows Updates no longer working?

Thanks!

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
sounds like a mess. I would unpartition the raptor and let vista and your games run all over it.

it used to be a simple process to do this, but you need to tell your user account/profile to be located on a different drive. i.e. create a new users folder elsewhere. Creating a network user you can point to a user profile located on another drive or another machine, but cant seem to get it to do the same thing in vista at this moment. hope that gives you an idea to get on the right track.