Having a seriously strange problem

Laserjet

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I'm having a strange problem.When i start my system,during the OS loading screen there are blue vertical dotted lines on the screen.But the OS doesn't load at all and after 1-2 minutes the screen goes blank and nothing happens.The same dotted lines appear in the BIOS screen too if i access it.I don't know what is causing this problem and nothing semm to be happening for me.Also sometimes the system starts without problem but nce i try to load the OS again,the same problem arises.

I'm using p-4 3.0 GHz,2 80GB SATA (one Seagate,one WD),inno3d 7600 GT and OS is windows XP.I have re-installed the OS but the problem doesn't seem to be with OS.

katanadude

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
It sounds like your video card went bad. Try swapping video cards if you can get your hands on one to use.

You said that you reinstalled the operating system. I assume that went o.k., so I would not suspect the hard drive. Did you clear CMOS before you reinstalled?

Linenoise

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Could be overheating, although in the past this has always been bad RAM in my experience. It could be the video card too, especially if you're getting this on the BIOS screen. It's sometimes hard to tell - my friend's PC died, we eventually narrowed it down to the video card. Annoyingly, whatever motherboard that card was plugged in to would not POST, and report beep codes indicating a RAM issue.

Anyway. make sure your videocard and CPU fans are running, try running with the side of the case open and maybe a floor fan blowing on it. Nothing fancy, just make sure lack of air movement isn't an issue.

Also, try switching to another video card if you can, see if that clears it up. If you can get it to run long enough, download memtest86 and run that, and see if it finds any errors.

katanadude

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
It sounds like your video card went bad. Try swapping video cards if you can get your hands on one to use.

You said that you reinstalled the operating system. I assume that went o.k., so I would not suspect the hard drive. Did you clear CMOS before you reinstalled?

Laserjet

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I use a 350 WATT PSU and for a week or so my RAM is 256 MB.Is the RAM's amount a problem in proper working of graphics card.

Laserjet

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I had 2 X 256 MB modules.Recently i had to give one to my brother,so iwas left with one 256 MB memory.But this one is working for quite some time now.