philbow

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Hi, my problem is that first of all the updates for xp home would not load, the Cd/DVD rom stopped being recognised in the BIOS, when trying to restore to an earlier date the PBell lost the restore points due to 'lack of memory' although there was plenty on the computer.

Lost the Internet explore & audio/video, when trying to restore to the earlier date? (says no cards present) I removed the upper & lower filters as instructed by Microsoft’s site. Also in Device Manager there is only the Hard Drive, no other drives? although the cdroms are working even changed the cable leads? 1 message is that it can't create Ramdrive-less than 2mb of memory!

Windows XP is still on the computer, even loaded another XP O/S on the 'D' drive.

Have added a floppy Drive on ‘A’ working well, created 6 floppies to no avail as the message is after loading - No cd rom drive?

I can still get in to the computer through USB ports (no problems) even sent for a lead to allow any CD rom drive to connect through the USB ports! No jumpers have been altered on the CD drives and they are functioning well in another computer.

Where do I look now? I have been told that the Bios should be ok? does it need flashing? The computer is 3 years old, had 1GB of ram and is functioning ok apart from the obvious? Should I be looking at the BIOS or registry, anyone care to comment HELP! many thanks Phil.

mafadecay

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Why is this post on twice with slightly different titles?

I added coment on your other post so lets discontinue this one to save all double posting until it can be deleted.

Please NOBODY POST TO THIS THREAD (Use the other one).