AMD takes a beating in DX10 benchmark

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/505/1/

8O
i would attribute that to driver issue. however, after delaying for 6 months, and yet the drivers are not even finalized. guess ATi was doing some major slack off during the 6 months it delayed.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

8O

Your posts leave a lot to be desired with my "quotes" in your sig. It's lke you want to be my girlfriend or soemthing. Maybe your'e jealous of the WOMEN I have freaked out on the dnce floor.

At any rate, from the reviews I saw only the Ultra laid a smack down on it and it is aligned to compete with GTS.

Also, I don't think any of the games are actually available and the driver situation is said to be improving perf daily almost.

I would say that by the time Phenom FX is dropped there will be a 65nm XTX. I have seen 100MHz OCs online with the 80nm chip. The XTX may hit 1GHz.

For price perf it is the best deal ut right now.

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

8O
For price perf it is the best deal ut right now.

Actually, given that it barely keeps up with the 8800GTS 640MB and costs $100 more, I'd say the 8800GTS is the best price/perf deal going right now...

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
hooooray, more evidence that ati drivers need some serious tuning before the 2900xt is actually a worthy card. Although they should have tested it against the 8800gts just to be fair. Of course the 8800gts probably would have won also since we know the current ati drivers suck horribly

Shizamaaur

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
"today we find out that ATI has many driver issues on Lost Planet."
"AMD's Comments on Lost Planet:

Before you begin testing, there are a few points I want to convey about “Lost Planet”. “Lost Planet” is an Nvidia-sponsored title, and one that Nvidia has had a chance to look at and optimize their drivers for. The developer has not made us aware of this new benchmark, and as such the ATI Radeon driver team has not had the opportunity explore how the benchmark uses our hardware and optimize in a similar fashion. Over the next little while AMD will be looking at this, but in the meantime, please note that whatever performance you see will not be reflective of what gamers will experience in the final build of the game." :?

I really think this is a driver issue... I don't see why the numbers would be that horrible... damn AMD get those drivers optimized!

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

8O
i would attribute that to driver issue. however, after delaying for 6 months, and yet the drivers are not even finalized. guess ATi was doing some major slack off during the 6 months it delayed.

That's what I've been saying. ATI Had way to long for them to not have better drivers!!! :!:

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
"today we find out that ATI has many driver issues on Lost Planet."
"AMD's Comments on Lost Planet:

Before you begin testing, there are a few points I want to convey about “Lost Planet”. “Lost Planet” is an Nvidia-sponsored title, and one that Nvidia has had a chance to look at and optimize their drivers for. The developer has not made us aware of this new benchmark, and as such the ATI Radeon driver team has not had the opportunity explore how the benchmark uses our hardware and optimize in a similar fashion. Over the next little while AMD will be looking at this, but in the meantime, please note that whatever performance you see will not be reflective of what gamers will experience in the final build of the game." :?

I really think this is a driver issue... I don't see why the numbers would be that horrible... damn AMD get those drivers optimized!

I read that too and am dumbfounded that given the delays and what not the drivers suck this bad...

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Until fully playable games are benched these handpicked demos by either company can be misleading. That said ATI is even having trouble with their handpicked demo...link-dailytech.

Allowing drivers to be an excuse for ATI is week considering they didn't pull punches pointing out Nvidia's driver problems. When ATI had no DX10 hardware they claimed the delay would allow them to launch with a full line and better driver support; the only truth in that was being late. The fact is everything to do with Dx10 is causing more trouble for both companies and the game developers.

Shizamaaur

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Well they aren't that terrible really, there's just some problems.. I mean if they were terrible you could buy the card and not play anything haha

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I agree the GTS is a better buy right now, but new drivers and more benchmarks should help us determine the cards real worth. Regardless the card needs to be sub $400 imo. Only time will tell at this point...AMD has wasted so much of it already why not just alil more I suppose!

Best,

3Ball

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
AMD is in a very sad state. Complaining about the unfair advantages the competition has annoys me. How dare they to claim nvidia had an advantage? Is this the GPU Kindergarten or something? Nvidia laid open what they had six months ago while the AMD Gestapo forced NDAs down everyones throat and kept claiming to get the GTX killer going, boasting how fast and good it will be. Now the bad drivers are guilty of every shortcoming AMD made over the last decade. Everywhere everyone says "the drivers suck". Yes, right, probably they do suck, but that is no excuse.
I´m not trying to protect or Nvidia or any other corporation here - nv had a quite disastrous affair with their Vista drivers and they deserved every bit of trouble they got.
The 2900XT is, technologically speaking, a revolutionary piece of hardware. The tesselation feature alone makes it something very special and i really like what i can see AMD trying to accomplish.
Sadly, they failed.
6 months late, that´s, if someone believes the nvidia pr-propaganda, almost a whole generation in the video card industry, yet the cards performance isn´t one generation ahead of its competition but a whole generation behind (comparing GTX vs XT). And no, while the XT might be in the price range of the GTS, it is currently the fastest card AMD has to offer wich makes it the direct competitor of the GTX. At a price range of 350-450$ a lot of people will go the last step to and just buy the fastest they can get if it is only 50-100$ more.
AMD had a lot of time to prepare a good launch, but what they managed to achieve is a delayed XTX, underperforming drivers and some moaning about how nobody told them to optimize their drivers for some of the upcoming games.
The card itself might be a decent, maybe even a good piece of hardware. AMD just failed to understand that hardware alone is nothing. While i really hoped they could succeed, i´m not too surprised to see what i´m seeing.

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I don't know...there is something fishy about these benchmarks. I think lost Planet being a Nvidia sponsored title is part of it. I think all these disclaimers like this are another part:

One of the first games that will be patched to support DX10 graphics is Call of Juarez. Reviewers were given the opportunity to test a very early beta build of the game, the results of which you see above.

I'm going to withhold bashing ATI until we get a full batch of true DX10 benchmark tests without the *.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Yea it looks like im probably goin to lean towards an 8800 series card now when I get the money. Since the BFG has a slight OC on their 8800GTS 640mb I will probably opt for that (the last card I got that was insanely OC'd was a 7800GT and had to many problems, so I go for the mild OC's now) since that card is $60 - $80 cheaper than the XT, it runs quieter, cooler, and uses less power not to mention it is slightly longer and I am going to have to take that $60 - $80 to replace my current optical drives with SATA optical drives in order for the 8800 to fit, since ABIT decided to play a joke on everyone who bought the AB9 Pro with the most terrible IDE placement in the history of motherboards. lol

Best,

3Ball

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
1st- people here laughing at ati are stupid
2nd- for those stupid people... ITS A DRIVER ISSUE YOU MORONS. see farther than your nose
3rd- how the hell could they improve the drivers if it was not tested before by tons of people ? how you retard you know that nvidia took months and months to improve their driver.
4th- nvidia cards are optimized for benchmarks as the Intel cpus are so stfu. Proof nvidia had their hands on the demo for weeks already...
5th- again you stupid

Hi. I stupid retard moron. Since I so stupid retard moron I thought that the only significant release of an entire calendar year would actually have been tested before throwing it on the street and realizing that it sucks. But I don't know much. I stupid retard moron. :lol:

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
If nVidia's cards are "optimized" for benchmarks as you say, then can you please explain why the XT scores higher than the GTX in 3Dmark scores, which is a BENCHMARK. Different cards react differently in different scenarios such is the difference in one companies arch when compared to another's. If you want to see a moron then take a look in the mirror my friend. You must be having daddy issues or something because neither company in CPU's or GPU's "optimizes" their CPU's for benchmarks...they may optimize benchmarks that they release for their CPU's but software is what is manipulative not the hardware...you need to get your facts straight and get over yourself!!!

Best,

3Ball

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Intel cpu's optimised.....haha. Maybe if it was a sse4 test then i'd agree.

Anyway, nice to see AMD telling everyone else how to do things then fucking them up theirselves. Who was that guy that said all their drivers are fine? Must be the cards that suck then?

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
1st- people here laughing at ati are stupid and got no good reason to do so.
2nd- for those stupid people... ITS A DRIVER ISSUE YOU MORONS. see farther than your nose
3rd- how the hell could they improve the drivers if it was not tested before by tons of people ? are you retards you do know that nvidia took months and months to improve their driver and is still inproving it in vista cause it sucks... again months after its realease.
4th- nvidia cards are optimized for benchmarks as the Intel cpus are so stfu. Proof nvidia had their hands on the demo for weeks already...
5th- again you stupid

The only thing I'm wondering is why ATI was sold to AMD at first. They were doing great work and now AMD has them... you know... AMD is late as always

I think there are few people here that don't realize that ATi will dramatically improve their drivers. They, and I, just don't think that this was a very good starting point for them. As a result, it is very likely that R600 will be inferior to G80 in both DX9 and DX10.

This is a shocking turn of events, since ATi has produced very good GPUs for the last four generations and have had the top GPU on the market most of the time during the last three generations. During that time, ATi hasn't produced a flagship GPU that has been as much of a stinker as this one is. It is time to worry about whether ATi will be viable during this generation.

Personally, I've never owned an Nvidia card. I've found them to not be price competitive in the midrange performance arena. If they pull a GeForce 5XXX fiasco, it might not be so fun to purchase video cards during this generation.