Status
Not open for further replies.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

Im looking to do a clean install of vista as my acer q6600 has some undesirable programs along with some driver issues.

All i have is the microsoft CD key sticker on the side of the computer. I have contacted Acer and they wont send me a copy of Vista.

I refuse to buy a copy of vista as microsoft has taken too much of my money already.

"2 copys of xp pro SP2 for one computer due to upgrades and clean installs "

Solution
Most OEMs (ok... all) DON'T include a Windows CD. They don't even include recovery CDs most of the time anymore... you have to create those CDs or DVDs yourself when you first boot up the computer. Now, this only creates a recovery set with all the OEM customizations on it... not a clean install of Windows.

Acer, Dell, Sony, Toshiba, etc... they ALL do it.
Most OEMs (ok... all) DON'T include a Windows CD. They don't even include recovery CDs most of the time anymore... you have to create those CDs or DVDs yourself when you first boot up the computer. Now, this only creates a recovery set with all the OEM customizations on it... not a clean install of Windows.

Acer, Dell, Sony, Toshiba, etc... they ALL do it.

Solution

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Or what else you could do is reload your image from the factory, I think on Dells you have to hit F8 like you would if your trying to get safe mode, but I think at the bottom there is an option for restoring to factory defaults, maybe reload that, then uninstall all the programs you don't want, clean it all up like you want it. Then there's a program called clonezilla, it's a program similar to Norton Ghost. I've never used it, but it's free. Get something like that, make an image of your system on a seperate drive if you have it. I think they also have an ISO image you download and burn to disc. If you have another problem, you should be able to reload from the disc you burned and reload your image.

Status
Not open for further replies.