Sign in with
Your question

Home File Server (how fast can you serve files?)

Last response: in Networking
July 5, 2007 4:59:16 PM

Okay... I am interested in setting up a home file server to host files for my clients. I was hoping to be able to serve these files at speeds of at least 3Mbps, and hopefully 6-8Mbps.

After calling numerous ISPs and inquiring about ALL levels of service, including "dedicated internet lines", DSL, Cable, DS-n, OC-n etc. etc. I have been told that the absolute maximum upload speed that I can achieve is 1Mbps. I spoke with many different levels of customer service, sales and tech support.. and even a guy in some back room who was supposed to "really know how the network works." Also, when I spoke with these representatives, I did not tell them my location. I asked them to just assume I lived in an area where their fastest services are offered and what those services are.

They finally said that if I want higher speeds I have to purchases a hosting solution from them. This is exactly what I am trying to avoid... I would rather not have to wait 2 hours to upload my 250MB file to their servers. I just want to save the files locally to a file server located in my home office, and make those files available at high speeds to my clients.

Maybe I don't really know anything about how internet connections work.. but I thought it was possible to purchase higher upload speeds for a business.

Based on what I was told by the service representatives, I'm lead to believe that every single website on the internet is hosted by an ISP. So apparently Tom's Hardware and Digg and CNN and Slashdot upload their files at 1Mbps to their ISP, who then in turn hosts the files at higher speeds? I don't think so...

So how do I get faster upload speeds piped into my home? What kind of service should I be asking about? I know fiber would really help... but fiber is not offered where I live.

How does one get the type of service I am looking for?
July 11, 2007 8:15:00 PM

A T1 costs around $600-$800 a month and it 1.54MB both ways.

Cable/DSL might be 7MB up, heavily restricted down to 785Kb or so.

They don't want you hosting from home because of the sheer amount of bandwidth being used.

If you want to host from home, you basically have to purchase a hosting system where they'll bring in a T1 or T3 and dedicate the speed to you. You can purchase portions of the T1 and T3 in order to gain those speeds you're looking for.

Places pay heavily for these services. Its not something you'll get cheap.
Anonymous
January 15, 2009 6:53:00 AM

Unfortunately Riser is dead right.

I was looking at doing something similar but only on a personal basis. At the moment I pay about £30 pm for an ADSL2+ connection, and even though Im quite some distance from my exchange I get roughly 3Mbps down and 1Mbps up which is reasonable.

If you were say 1km from the Exchange with a service similar to mine you may be able to get 24Mbps down and 2.5Mbps upload for say £60-£70

Try speaking to Cerberus Networks, thats my ISP they focus on business lines. You might even want to consider Bonded ADSL or SDSL, which basically combines 2 or more ADSL/SDSL lines together (eg 3x 1Mbps uploads = 3Mbps) its expensive but not as expensive as Leased lines etc.
Related resources
January 15, 2009 8:39:50 PM

Quote:

If you were say 1km from the Exchange with a service similar to mine you may be able to get 24Mbps down and 2.5Mbps upload for say £60-£70

Actually £21.50 with Be Internet.

But anyway some have policies saying you can't use them for hosting and even if you can you'd want to load balance (or bond) a few lines for reliability and speed and by the time you add all that together it can be quite costly.
Anonymous
January 30, 2009 9:40:13 AM

Devastator_uk said:
Actually £21.50 with Be Internet.

My connection is actually with Be but I have a business line contract and they are usually mroe expensive as they do not apply restrictions as not allowing web hosting etc.
!