Sign in with
Your question
Closed

DO NOT INSTALL Service Pack 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last response: in Windows XP
April 21, 2008 9:24:12 PM

So I tried to installed Windows SP3 as well as a bunch of other things and my computer kept crashing and acting weird. I couldn't pin point it so I had to re-format my computer and lost lots of stuff. I also had to re-format about 4 times for some reason. Each time Windows wasn't installing correctly.

So after a brand new fresh install of Windows XP I updated my computer and installed SP3. As soon as I did that my computer wouldn't log into windows anymore and once again I lost a few things. Now I know that SP3 is a bunch of crap. Stay away from it and **DO NOT DOWNLOAD SP3**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When installing it, they even give you a warning message saying "This could cause your computer to not work correctly and just like Curious George I did it anyways. So take it from me. **DO NOT INSTALL SP3**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More about : install service pack

April 21, 2008 9:26:46 PM

eh... i will wait for some official reviews first, then decide.
April 21, 2008 9:31:17 PM

I already disabled Windows Update...

:D 
Related resources
April 21, 2008 9:43:06 PM

Spitfire7 said:
So I tried to installed Windows SP3 as well as a bunch of other things and my computer kept crashing and acting weird. I couldn't pin point it so I had to re-format my computer and lost lots of stuff. I also had to re-format about 4 times for some reason. Each time Windows wasn't installing correctly.

So after a brand new fresh install of Windows XP I updated my computer and installed SP3. As soon as I did that my computer wouldn't log into windows anymore and once again I lost a few things. Now I know that SP3 is a bunch of crap. Stay away from it and **DO NOT DOWNLOAD SP3**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When installing it, they even give you a warning message saying "This could cause your computer to not work correctly and just like Curious George I did it anyways. So take it from me. **DO NOT INSTALL SP3**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well.... i see your pains. But, i am typing this message from xp sp3. I have been using sp3 since last year. I have no problem at all. In fact, i notice the performance gain with sp3. It has got to be some conflicts with your hardware devices.
April 21, 2008 9:56:17 PM

I have been running SP 3 Beta since the day it came out the only problem that I ran to was that I had to re-install the following apps:
AVG Free
NVidia drivers
Paint.NET
Adobe Reader
All the apps work fine now. Looks to me like the OP had a software conflict. Most likely AV software or drivers.
April 21, 2008 9:57:23 PM

I would certainly hope the compatibility issues with THOSE applications have been resolved... those are pretty standard-issue apps.
April 21, 2008 10:07:02 PM

i was using sp3 since RC1 but i had some strange problems with it, mostly taskbar icons disappearing. Just a minor annoyance though. I also had numerous BSoD's related to my wifi card drivers. But that card was terrible and the antenna was cracked, so i just gave up on it and get a usb adapter to replace it. not a single BSoD since :) . ATM i'm using SP2 though.
April 21, 2008 10:15:52 PM

SP3 beta never effected me(too much). Did not even have to reinstall the above programs.

Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 DID break due to a changed file. i just copied it off my other sp2 machine to the game folder and it works fine now.

so far thats it. mind you i see nothing mind shattering about the new sp either.
April 21, 2008 10:17:37 PM

Spitfire7 said:

that's supposedly a very common problem with parited windows copies, so either you have a pirated copy or someone made a pirated copy of yours and you're being screwed for it...
April 21, 2008 10:42:23 PM

Spitfire7 said:

Windows Restore.....? :bounce: 
April 21, 2008 10:47:12 PM

My advice is to just -never- install a beta of anything with the exception of GFX drivers.
Let others play the role of lab rat and update only when it becomes offical.
Same goes with public game patchs (ArmA players know this all too well).
April 21, 2008 11:14:43 PM

yea ive been using sp3 beta for 3 months now and i dont notice any difference over sp2. that being said i havent had a single problem with it. sorry for you grief man
April 22, 2008 1:44:29 AM

well it must be you I'm using sp3 v2 and not one problem. I've been using for 3 as well.
April 22, 2008 2:33:17 AM

tekzor said:
Windows Restore.....? :bounce: 

Well said.
April 22, 2008 2:45:05 AM

I have been using SP3 v.3300 for quite some time now. Didn't run into any problems so far. Cannot say there is a noticeable performance increase over SP2.
April 22, 2008 3:07:47 AM

umeshnk said:
I have been using SP3 v.3300 for quite some time now. Didn't run into any problems so far. Cannot say there is a noticeable performance increase over SP2.

The claimed speed with SP3 is when using MS office software...that alone is no reason for most people to want to update.

If you have SP2 and also grab the monthly fixs you basicly already have SP3...unles SP3 tries to slip in some Vista style DRM crap as well.
April 22, 2008 3:22:11 AM

i used sp3 for about a week. lucky for me, i was going to reformat anyway. with my older laptop, it only slowed it down. though i think that sp3 increased multi threaded capabilities
April 22, 2008 3:25:39 AM

Spitfire7 said:

Don't know what you installed, but unless you paid the big bikkies for MSDN it wasn't SP3. You also never explained what 'the bunch of other things' was.

SP3 runs fine here as well....
April 22, 2008 3:32:08 AM

SO!!!!!!! MANY!!!!!! EXCLAMATION!!!!!!! MARKS!!!!!!!!!!!
April 22, 2008 3:36:33 AM

SEALBoy said:
SO!!!!!!! MANY!!!!!! EXCLAMATION!!!!!!! MARKS!!!!!!!!!!!

exactly what i was thinking...reminds me of Seinfeld hehe
April 22, 2008 5:36:18 AM

Alright thanks guys for the comments. I bought and paid for my windows copy from Costco so not sure about the pirated idea, but my computer sure doesn't like SP3 for some reason. One guy said on another thread... if it works, then dont fix it. I think I will stick to that. I'm glad it works for you guys. Oh and I almost forgot.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
April 22, 2008 7:09:36 PM

the sp3 patch, final version will be like vista for setup, a cd key is not needed, you will have 30 days to activate or xp will shut down services
April 22, 2008 7:22:21 PM

Been using SP3 3311 since it was released, created an XP build with it slipstreamed and it's perfect.

I've also tested that version for our corporate release of the updated XP image that will hit 26000 users & ~45000 desktops/laptops and there's been little to no problems aside from the HD audio which is a pain, but fixed in 5508 (which I haven't downloaded yet seeing as it's publicly available next week).

From a corporate standpoint, it's a huge benefit, removing the hundreds of patches from SMS & clearing up a lot of bandwith when a new machine pops up on the network.
April 22, 2008 7:24:00 PM

funny you mention the problems, my computer decided that it apparently doesn't like my graphics driver anymore. I restarted after installing the updates, and my screen is on until it goes to my desktop, then blank, how the deuce do I reinstall those drivers? is that what safe mode is for?
April 22, 2008 7:32:17 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
btw, i use vista :p 
April 22, 2008 7:37:39 PM

try to extract the driver files to a folder and do an update rather than an install. If still having problems.
Change display drivers to standard vga then do an update as mentioned above. I don't believe I need to explain the update method. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
April 22, 2008 9:08:17 PM

jeremyrailton said:
funny you mention the problems, my computer decided that it apparently doesn't like my graphics driver anymore. I restarted after installing the updates, and my screen is on until it goes to my desktop, then blank, how the deuce do I reinstall those drivers? is that what safe mode is for?

Yes, that is what SafeMode is used for, ironically it's not really "Safe", it enables you to do certain things that you normally won't do on Windows and any wrong thing you do in SafeMode could cause damage.
April 22, 2008 10:58:30 PM

jeremyrailton said:

It should be pretty simple. First download your graphics card drivers from another computer and put them on a CD. Turn on your computer and immediately start hitting F8. This will get you to the safe mode options. Select run Windows in safe mode. It will do some loading stuff and will start up with the bare bones Windows safe mode. Then if you have picture then that means yes it is a driver issue and you can now insert your CD and install the latest graphics drivers. If you still dont have picture, then there is an issue with one of you startup windows dll files or something embedded into windows. If you have picture during start up processes your mobo drivers a good, its just a windows driver conflicting issue.

If you are continuing to have more and more trouble, you can always insert your windows CD, turn on computer and just re-install windows. This doesn't erase any personal files, it just re-installs all windows files. Be careful because it will actually move around or delete your desk top icons, but everything on your C: drive will not be touched.
April 23, 2008 12:33:16 AM

It sounds to me like you may have a bad hard drive.
April 23, 2008 12:59:34 AM

Well since SP3 isnt out to public yet Via M$ you have a Beta or a pirated SP3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 23, 2008 7:09:04 PM

^Exactly what I thought too.. But he could be a MSDN member.
April 23, 2008 7:35:20 PM

update: well, turns out the issue had to do with my dual monitor setup. I unplugged one monitor from the vid card and she came back to life. I guess I have to redo the dual monitor setup everytime I unplug the system. Dualies were a whole lot easier with my old ATI card.
April 23, 2008 7:46:05 PM

SP3 isn't going to stop you from installing XP after reformatting....

If you had to try and reinstall 4 times you're most likely having some type of hardware issue.
April 24, 2008 8:32:59 AM

I've been a member of msdn for quite some time, 10 or more years. I bought vb6 and with that is a msdn disk. With msdn setup a registration and member service application is a choice. Also I am registered with Microsoft as an MCSD
Whenever MS has bata's I'm email of that.
April 28, 2008 1:03:11 AM

ZOldDude said:
My advice is to just -never- install a beta of anything with the exception of GFX drivers.
Let others play the role of lab rat and update only when it becomes offical.
Same goes with public game patchs (ArmA players know this all too well).

I totally agree!

@Spitfire7, Beta is a testing software release not an official release!

Unless you are in the testing program itself, knowing full well what you're doing, you should stay far away from beta release software, especially one directly affecting your operating system, but too often people think they're getting ahead of the game, not realizing the consequences you could actually have to deal with.

If you're dumb enough to install unproven software on your machine, just because you can't wait for the official release, then reap your rewards or punishment man!

You did it to your own self!

But I do have to commend you on telling everyone here what you did and whats happened as a result of it, maybe you'll scare someone else away from installing it themselves!
April 28, 2008 9:08:06 AM

i wonder if the OP knew that all he had to do was boot into safe mode, and goto:

control panel>add/remove programs> service pack 3 > uninstall

i had trouble with the first one, turned out to be my Nvidia IDE raid driver, a quick check of the logs under administrative tools told me it was the IDE raid driver....i uninstalled it since i dont need/use it and it is fine and dandy now.
April 28, 2008 9:19:48 PM

Any one know how good SP3 works with XP x64 (haven't tried it with x64 yet) and if there are any multi threaded improvements?
April 28, 2008 11:22:24 PM

haven't had the need to uninstall works great for me would not change back to sp2. I've notice wiff xp3 the handshake request for http,tcp,udp are lessor and the acknowledgment do not send a request back. When I say lessor, I mean the (act) is acknowledge to the http server but the ads tcp and other crap the site contains, my computer does not send an act back to the ad server only the http server. with xp2 these request were sent to all computers.
April 30, 2008 5:44:25 AM

Dear All

I tried to install SP3 yesterday 29.04.08 but it failed displaying an error referring to the kernel using some third party software, I cannot describe it exactly now. Nothing obvious occurred then. I think that as a result of the failed installation this morning 30.04.08 when I turned on the computer all my settings were gone. The desktop looks as if I just fresh installed XP. I tried to restore it to two points before SP3 without success.

Anyone can help? Where are all my settings?
Thanks.
September 28, 2008 7:59:58 PM

tell me about it!! It popped up in my tray to update and before i could see what it was the download began (stupid auto-updater). when i tried to Un-install it gave me trouble with simple programs like Magic Tune and even my MOUSE software, COME ON!! I couldn't even remove some of the redundant tray icons that appeared after way too many times trying to Un- and then RE-installing my drivers for my mouse, monitor and USB devices!! Speaking of extra icons, after removing SP3 for the final time (that's right, I actually tried 3 times, once with a tech-guy from Microsoft remotely using my PC) there were 3 ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM icons in Control Panel!!! Anyway, this all could have been prevented by changing your Automatic Update feature, START>CONTROL PANEL>AUTOMATIC UPDATES. Change the option from AUTOMATIC(recommended) which automatically downloads and installs updates, to the second option that automatically downloads updates but lets YOU choose when to install them. As for redundant Control Panel Icons (add/remove programs) just search appwiz in C:\ and remove any that say (2) or (3) after them. ie appwiz.cpl(2) and leave appwiz.cpl alone.
My recommendations would be NOT to install Service Pack 3 for a couple of months until they work the bugs out. And if you have, remove it if you can do it safely. I created a Restore Point prior to installation so i was lucky. There really doesn't seem to be many advantages to the new update anyway so don't sweat it. Sorry to Ramble but I wish somebody had posted such a comment for me before i updated!!
September 29, 2008 2:52:18 PM

@rfewer This is a really old thread and FYI, if you're doing a clean from scratch install of XP, SP3 works just fine.

The official release problems have been addressed by MSFT, and are covered by the available updates after SP3 install, so continued SP3 fears should be over.

Most encountered problems anyway on existing running systems, and you may very well still get trouble updating and older bloated installation of XP, but a fresh install is a different story.

Past SP releases also worked best on fresh installs, so if you do a fresh install of XP and then install SP3 and apply the available Windows Updates afterwards, you shouldn't have any problems.

I've just installed on 2 machines one Intel and one AMD, and they're running great so SP3 will be just fine on a freshly installed XP SP2 machine.
Anonymous
March 15, 2010 5:22:46 AM

u r really right I got these problems.thanxxxxxxxxxxx ;) 
March 15, 2010 1:01:51 PM

This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
!