About Cron Jobs

ryanla2r

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I have this homework posted below, I dont understand cron jobs and how the date system works...

If someone has a good way to explain it and or a link, i goggled it but could not understand.

Not asking you to do my homework, just help me understand how to do it.

Linux Admin 1 LAB Week 7
Name:
class section:
1. what command will show all a user's crontab entries?
2. what command will allow a user to edit their crontab?
3. What would the syntax be for a cronjob entry which would run the script /root/ping.bash every
day at 3:45 AM?
4. What would the syntax be for a cronjob entry which would run the script /root/ping.bash every
day at 4 PM?
5. Show the syntax for running /root/ping.bash on every Monday, and Tuesday at noon
6. Show the syntax for running /root/ping.bash on every Thursday and Friday at noon
7. Show the syntax for running /root/ping.bash on every Monday, Thursday and Saturday, at 9:00
PM
8. Show the syntax for running /root/ping.bash on every Monday, Thursday and Saturday, at 9:00
AM
9. Show the syntax for running /root/ping.bash on the first day of every month, at 4 AM:
10.Show the syntax for running /root/ping.bash on the tenth day of every month, at 4 AM:
11.Show the syntax for running /root/ping.bash on every thursday in May at 4 AM:
12.Show the syntax for running /root/ping.bash on every thursday in December at 4 AM:
13.Show the syntax for running /root/ping.bash every day from the 5th to the 12th of every month,
at 4 AM:
14.Show the syntax for running /root/ping.bash on any Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday between
the 2nd and 15th day of the month, at 2:30 PM:
15.Show the syntax for running /root/ping.bash thirty minutes from now:
16.(2 points) What set of commands will run /root/ping.bash when the load average drops below
1.5?
17.install all available software updates for your system. What command did you use?
18.How many files are included in the gcc package?
19.What package owns the file /bin/ping ?
20.How many total packages are installed on your system?
21.software is often distributed in tarfile format. Download the John-the-ripper package from the
lecture slides, and extract the contents. Show the command you used to extract the files from the
tarball:
22.(2 points) Compile John. Show the steps necessary to complete this task. It may be necessary to
read the INSTALL or README files which were extracted from the tarball. Get ISO as well.
23.What file contains the passwords that john has already broken?
What is John the ripper? A password cracker for Unix-based systems. Given a copy of the
shadow password file, it attempts to determine all the passwords for all the users. It takes a
variable amount of time, sometimes just a few seconds, sometimes several weeks.
Documentation on how to install and run John the ripper is included in the tarball. I recommend
reading the contents of files with names such as README and INSTALL.

For the love of all things Linus, will somebody please shoot ryanla2r for me?

Seriously, I think the mods should ban him. That or maybe just PM a few of us his IP.

If we can find who his tutor is report him to the school. This is beyond a joke and an insult to the members of this forum.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

+1.

ryanla2r

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Maybe u guys did not stop to think that this stuff is harder for some then others. and the mods will not ban, do to the fact that this forum is for people who need help with stuff. and if you read i am not asking you to do it just guid me. And yes if you are wondering there is not a linux tutor and the teacher whom teaches the class gose to fast for me to understand....

Look, you asked the first time and people pointed you to 'man' and to the installation files. If you came to us asking for clarification, showing us that you had tried and were having issues I'd go with that. You ask again and Skittle tells you yet again 'man ......' and you go Thanks!

What we have all been saying is try. What do you actually hope to achieve by just posting your questions with no comments to tell us what bit in particular you are struggling with? I'd have more sympathy but when somebody else in the same class has the decency to give us all the heads up that you would rather facebook then listen to your tutor what the hell do you expect??

Every working day of my life I have to deal with techs that took the same approach you are doing now. They took a class, somehow stumbled through it and now struggle to do simple tasks. If you teacher is going to fast then talk to them, no tutor / teacher I have ever encountered wants their students to fail.

If you can take this on board and show us that you are making an effort then you will see a change in the way we treat you. I'm just shy of 10k posts on this forum and I know I've helped a lot of people, just like many of the others on here. I just don't think you understand that the only way to learn is to try. If you come to us asking:

'Would I be right in thinking that I'd have to edit blah to get whatnot working? I see that some other users use blah blah and that this also works but wonder what you guys recommend'

Then it's a whole different ball game.

I suggest to the Mods that we give you one last chance at this. Meet us half way and show some maturity. I have more respect for people that can admit to a mistake and learn from it than I do for fools that continue to make the same errors.