Interesting take on AMD.

Phanboy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2007/05/intel_fud_versu.html
Just interesting, not necessarily saying anything else.

Intel got shellacked for not being "reactive" with respect to Athlon64/Hammer.

This guy gives AMD kudos for not being reactive with manufacturing technology. Being reactive is what makes this industry exciting and interesting.

I don't want to pontificate on the cognitive dissonance experienced by this author -- I think the above article says enough!

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
At the end of the day, all this means is that Intel has an advantage due to economies of scale. The huge investment they make in technology development and 300mm fabs pays off because they are doing a higher volume of business than everyone else. The overhead is spread throughout more units.

Therefore, AMD is at a disadvantage unless they can grow to a size comparable to Intel. In their attempt to do this, AMD screwed up and grew too quickly and is now sitting on idle capacity. Therefore, they were forced to sell their product at a huge discount to keep from going bankrupt. One can spin AMD's not going to 300mm fabs and being behind on process technologies as them waiting until the time is right. However, the reality is that they are at a disadvantage in the marketplace because their overhead costs are spread through a smaller number of units produced. AMD isn't out-smarting Intel, they are just dealing with their financial and competitive situation.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
:? hmm :? It goes hand in hand with intels present agressive scaling but so many things could as well.

Crap,,, If this guy is right , I passed by the lowest stock buy in,,,, maybe. 60 cents away from my target of 11 something.

I wouldn't worry too much. December 07. Not a single bit of new silicon has been released by AMD since R600. K10 is still just around the corner. Stock is in single digits. Not that I think you should buy then either! :D

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
*golf clap* Indeed sir ,indeed.

Wow! That must be the one STD I don't have yet! That's 'cuz I don't play golf.

But all of that is not important at all. All the news and non-news about AMD is not important either. We, the citizens of this planet are faced with the single most pressing issue threatening our civilization and its continued survival!

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Paris Hilton is "emotionally distraught and traumatized" over her 45-day jail sentence and is not capable of testifying in a civil lawsuit against her, the socialite-reality TV star's psychiatrist said.

:roll:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
paris hasnt been the same since i ditched her. :( poor lass. Golf is the penultimate example of fruedian psychology.

I thought that was you in the video, but it was really dark... :lol:

And, BTW, I don't think that the guy in the article is right either. I don't think that there are too many if any bright spots at AMD right now.

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Interesting read. AMD is a solid company. Like I have said before, things at AMD aren't peachy at the moment. However things aren't as bad as enthusiasts on this board would like to think.

mationman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
hmm after waiting far too long for x2900 and it not living up to expectations I doubt that their new cpus will be up to much.

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
At the end of the day, all this means is that Intel has an advantage due to economies of scale. The huge investment they make in technology development and 300mm fabs pays off because they are doing a higher volume of business than everyone else. The overhead is spread throughout more units.

Therefore, AMD is at a disadvantage unless they can grow to a size comparable to Intel. In their attempt to do this, AMD screwed up and grew too quickly and is now sitting on idle capacity. Therefore, they were forced to sell their product at a huge discount to keep from going bankrupt. One can spin AMD's not going to 300mm fabs and being behind on process technologies as them waiting until the time is right. However, the reality is that they are at a disadvantage in the marketplace because their overhead costs are spread through a smaller number of units produced. AMD isn't out-smarting Intel, they are just dealing with their financial and competitive situation.
No I don't think that's at all what this article says. It just explains why AMD runs their PR the way that they do. They don't release stuff the moment they get it done.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
:? hmm :? It goes hand in hand with intels present agressive scaling but so many things could as well.

Crap,,, If this guy is right , I passed by the lowest stock buy in,,,, maybe. 60 cents away from my target of 11 something.

I wouldn't worry too much. December 07. Not a single bit of new silicon has been released by AMD since R600. K10 is still just around the corner. Stock is in single digits. Not that I think you should buy then either! :D

Sorry but Forbes bought 13% and the stock went up to $15. It is now at $15.40 in after hours.

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

I wouldn't worry too much. December 07. Not a single bit of new silicon has been released by AMD since R600. K10 is still just around the corner. Stock is in single digits. Not that I think you should buy then either! :D*golf clap* Indeed sir ,indeed.

You still not short-selling, dewd?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
paris hasnt been the same since i ditched her. :( poor lass. Golf is the penultimate example of fruedian psychology.

Yea she really took a nosedive though after I was done with her. :twisted:

Musta been the WWF tag team thing we did. :wink: But when I tagged you in you kinda body slammed her hard :lol: :lol:

Well it did not take much to break her really she is so small. :lol: :twisted:You didn't hear???? She left shortly after you arrived...That was Dewds face buried in the pillow. Ouch!! 8O 8O 8O :D :D :D hehehe

TRENDING THREADS