IBM Thinkpad Z51 freezes at password entry screen

andyfico

Distinguished
May 29, 2004
Hi everybody,

I have a problem I was hoping someone could help me with. I have an IBM Thinkpad Z51 that I got through school. It has worked fine until now but now whenever I boot the laptop, it freezes at the password entry screen. I can boot in safemode no problem, but as soon as I enter the first letter of my password in normal mode, the computer freezes. Sometimes, after pressing F8 and using the last known good configurations like 8 times I can finally enter my password but it is very frustrating. I called the school but they won't help me because I have graduated. I find it weird that I can boot in safe mode no problem.

Thank you for the assistance.

Andy

Laptop Specs.

Windows XP Professional Version 2002
Service Pack 2
Intel Pentium M Processor 1.60 GHz
598 Mhz, 504 MB of RAM
Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME video processor

abic

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Andy,
I'm currently having the same problem with my old IBM T43. Were you able to determine the cause and how to fix the pc?

Any help you be appreciated!

Much thanks!

Abi

andyfico

Distinguished
May 29, 2004
Unfortunately, I was not able to fix the problem and I reinstalled windows. Sorry I'm not able to help more.

Andy

lateralcanvas

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I had this exact problem this morning with an IBM Thinkpad T42p. I believe it was caused by attaching an external screen, which for some reason corrupted login. The laptop would start up...it was very slow getting to the password entry screen. After entering the password it froze and wouldn't shut down.

I had to remove the battery to shut the laptop down. Then started the laptop with XP disk...you don't necessarily have to start up from the XP disk, but having it in the CD drive fixed the problem. There is nothing wrong with running a reinstall, but found I didn't really need to do it.

The laptop finally started up as normal and all is resolved.

This same situation might occur with other attachments as well. So remove them all, out side of your mouse and follow the above info. You can work out what is causing the problem by then re-attaching devises one by one.

You will of-course needed to follow the above info once you find out what the problem attachment is, as it will cause freezing. :hello: