Task Manager on XP 64 Bit

jcgross

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Hello all,

starting to like this forum... anyway I have Windows XP 64 bit O/S and its on my gaming pc, my goal is to squeeze evey ounce of proformance out of this thing while avoiding any over clocking, "I hear" you can get a little extra zip by ending needless processes in the task manager and the system config... as far as the system config all I have starting is REGSVR32 and CLIStart... now where do I go to get good/ solig/ trustworthy info about what is ok to end/ shut down unneeded start up programsOR is something I do in services?
Board: MSI K9A Platinum Crossfire ATI 3200 Chipset
RAM: 4GIG Patriot Extreme DDR2 800MHz
CPU: AMD Athlon 6400+ 64x2 3.2 GHz
Hard drives: (2) WD Caviar 250 GB
Graphics cards: (2) 3870 512mb “Sapphire” Running Crossfire
PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro 850 watt
Burners: (2) Sony/Nec 7170A
Chassis Gigabyte 3D Aurora Tower
Sound Card: Creative labs X-Fi SoundBlaster Xtreme Gamer
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse
Mouse: Logitek Mx518
SENNHEISER PC161 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Headset

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I understand your concern but with that system you really won't see to any real benefit (maybe 5% faster startup -- but slower opening of some app's)

That is unless you have a ton of software loaded. If you do, do a re-install and only load programs that you actually use.

ps. google is a good option --- I've seen some registry cleaners that will tell you your start up options and explain them but I usually don't trust 3rd party apps to tell me what works or not.

jcgross

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
ok thanks for the advice, I looked into most of them thru Google , looks like the ones I looked into are needed for stability, Im going to leave it alone.

Latest posts