Best Linux distro for Packard Bell Easynote SJ51-B-007

NPS

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Hi,

Has anyone found a particular Linux distro that runs especially well on Packard Bell Easynote laptops? The ACPI was a nightmare for many of the distros I tried a couple of years ago (= overheating). I'm wondering whether any newer releases have got the hang of these awkward machines yet. I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried recent versions of Mandriva, Kubuntu etc. on an Easynote or who would like to recommend an alternative distro for the Easynote SJ51 (mine's an SJ51-B-007).

Cheers,

NPS

PS: apologies for cross-posting: I posted this in the laptops section before I realised that it might be better off here.
:bounce:

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

Ubuntu is available with XFCE (Xubuntu) and LXDE (Lubuntu), and you always have the option of installing whichever desktop manager you like. :)

My brother is running GMA 950 graphics with a 950Mhz Celeron. It's actually quite usable for mail web and basic operations. I offered to switch him to something lighter but he's more than happy with it.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

I'm running the full gnome with mint 8 on a first gen atom and gma 950 - and it runs great.

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

You may want to check out zencafe 2.2
I'm impressed with it . ACPI is easily configurable on install and the package manager could not be more straightforward. It is easier to install and use than zenwalk, even, IMHO.
And it just works!