Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Can anyone tell me the difference between Asus P5K and P5K Deluxe, other than the enormous price difference? I can't see why I would fork over an extra $80 or whatever to take the Deluxe over the vanilla.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
P5K Deluxe has wifi, black PCB, more advanced BIOS options. Probably a better overclocker. Deluxe has 6 SATA ports instead of 4, also has a RAID controller where the P5K vanilla doesn't. Deluxe has 10 USB ports, P5K has 12. Deluxe has a bigger HS solution for NB and VRMs. Deluxe costs ~100 bucks more.

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
The only things I can see are the wireless LAN, dual LAN instead of LAN, ICH9R instead of ICH9 and slightly better audio codec (plus optical audio jack in addition to the coaxial jack that the P5K has). Am I missing something, because that doesn't seem to be worth a $90 (about 60% of cost) premium.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Well, is the X6800 really worth 4 times the E6600? No. Will some people still pay for it? Yup. You're not missing anything, that's just the world of enthusiast computing. Honestly though, if you had the P5K and decided you wanted a RAID controller, and an extra NIC, and a wifi adaptor, chances are you'd have to spend quite a bit of that 90 dollar difference. So, even though it's kind of a rip, it's much, much less of a rip than say...the 8800 Ultra. Plus you get the extra bios options and better heatsinks.

BTW, does anyone remember the good old days before C2D's arrived when a top-of-the line mobo rarely ever crept above $200? I miss that.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
But I think the P5K Deluxe is worth it

so far we have

1) Wifi adapter
2) Black PCB
3) Advanced BIOS Options
4) 6 Sata Ports (4 on normal)
5) 10 USB ports (normal 12)
6) Bigger HS solution
7) Dual LAN
8) ICH9R
9) Better Audio Codec + Optical Audio Jack
10) **Most Important I would say** Better OC?

So far P5B Deluxe had most of the best OC in most review pages.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
P5B or P5K? The P35-DS3 by Gigabyte looks like a really good buy at ~160 and it's able to easily surpass 500FSB with a Core 2 and, amazingly, hits 472FSB with a Core 2 Quad! The only thing that kinda turns me off about it is only 1 x16 PCIe slot.

bungee91

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
I haven't seen the P35 DS3 yet but I know the DQ6 is around $280..
Anyhow I would say only having 4 SATA ports on the P5K versus the Deluxe's 6 is the biggest deal breaker for me. Actually I was considering the same thing. I would never need the Dual-Lan, wireless, or even Raid.
Just 4 SATA ports is almost useless in my usage, and to buy an add in is just an extra cost.

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Well, is the X6800 really worth 4 times the E6600? No. Will some people still pay for it? Yup. You're not missing anything, that's just the world of enthusiast computing. Honestly though, if you had the P5K and decided you wanted a RAID controller, and an extra NIC, and a wifi adaptor, chances are you'd have to spend quite a bit of that 90 dollar difference. So, even though it's kind of a rip, it's much, much less of a rip than say...the 8800 Ultra. Plus you get the extra bios options and better heatsinks.

BTW, does anyone remember the good old days before C2D's arrived when a top-of-the line mobo rarely ever crept above $200? I miss that.

True, true. They build the top end models and then try to make you think that you NEED them and can't get by with the basic model. I agree, nice mobos sure have gotten expensive!

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
But I think the P5K Deluxe is worth it

so far we have

1) Wifi adapter
2) Black PCB
3) Advanced BIOS Options
4) 6 Sata Ports (4 on normal)
5) 10 USB ports (normal 12)
6) Bigger HS solution
7) Dual LAN
8) ICH9R
9) Better Audio Codec + Optical Audio Jack
10) **Most Important I would say** Better OC?

So far P5B Deluxe had most of the best OC in most review pages.

The P5K has 12 USB as well, and in addition to the 4 Sata Ports on the Southbridge of the P5K it also has 1 Sata, 2 IDE and 1 eSata controlled by the JMicron. It would be nice to have the better audio codec and optical audio, but I am not going to pay 60% more for that. The thing that concerns me most however, is the OC (considering I am buying an E4400!)

Does anyone know how the OC compares with the following P35 boards?

P5K
P5K Deluxe
DQ6
DS3
MSI Platinum

???

Also, I read that only the Bearlake-X is going to have the PCIE 2.0, not the P35. How important is PCIE 2.0 going to be over the next couple of years?

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I don't think anyone will be able to tell you anything definitive about the comparative overclocks of those boards. I know the DS3 is supposedly able to go over 500FSB with a dual core, but that's it. Apparently this chipset overclocks just as well as the P965, and possibly a little better. More reviews should be popping up all over in the next week, so hang tight.

PCIe 2.0 isn't going to be a big deal for a little while, at least for 2 more years. At this point, nothing needs the extra bandwidth. Eventually, the big high-end vid cards will adopt it, probably starting sometime next year.

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I don't think anyone will be able to tell you anything definitive about the comparative overclocks of those boards. I know the DS3 is supposedly able to go over 500FSB with a dual core, but that's it. Apparently this chipset overclocks just as well as the P965, and possibly a little better. More reviews should be popping up all over in the next week, so hang tight.

PCIe 2.0 isn't going to be a big deal for a little while, at least for 2 more years. At this point, nothing needs the extra bandwidth. Eventually, the big high-end vid cards will adopt it, probably starting sometime next year.

well, I am not waiting any longer for bearlake-x and I don't want to pay $300 either. I'll check out the P35 reviews early next week and order my system then! I was originally thinking to go with a 650i ultra board, but I'll want to upgrade my CPU to a Penryn late next year after the Nehalem's come out, and I won't want to have to buy a new mobo.

It looks like we can use the OCs of the P965 boards as a general guideline for what the OCs of the P35s might be. Did the P5B OC very well? I think I read the Gigabyte boards OC well. As long as I can get the E4400 up to 3 GHz on stock cooling I'll be happy. I'd hope that the P5K could at least do that....

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Uh, from 2 to 3Ghz is a pretty big jump, and I'm not sure the P5K would be the best choice for that. The P5B vanilla was a pretty lame overclocker. Further, you'll need better than stock cooling to run a chip 1Ghz over design freq.

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Uh, from 2 to 3Ghz is a pretty big jump, and I'm not sure the P5K would be the best choice for that. The P5B vanilla was a pretty lame overclocker. Further, you'll need better than stock cooling to run a chip 1Ghz over design freq.

Based on the bit of research that I did, the E4400 is an excellent chip for overclocking. I heard it is similar to the E6700 but that some of the cache is disabled. This site says 3 GHz stock is easy to do.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=642&p=0

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Wow, that's impressive. I would still invest 40 bucks in a good aftermarket cooler if I were you though.

If you are going to spend the extra $40, you might as well get the E6420 or get a better video card or something.... The point of going with the E4400 is to save money and still get decent performance.

loxPL

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006

You're forgetting that the E4400 works on 10x200mhz, so increasing it to 10x300 would be no problem for the mobo, as P35 officially supports 333mhz fsb.