8800GTX Spanking 2900XT in first DX10 DEMO LOST PLANET

ROBSLIN

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
If it wasn't already enough that the 7month old 8800GTX is beating ATI's new GPU in just about every DX9 application (by a long shot in some games) we are now seeing the same thing happen with the first DX10 demo despite all the talk of the R600 being so much more superior in DX10. To add insult to injury ATI is also losing in the one area that they used to reign supreme-Image Quality

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/505/1/

While I agree that the R600 should get better over time with newer drivers its very very difficult to imagine that driver updates alone could ever close this kind of gap.

Come on ATI! I want you to do good!

If it wasn't already enough that the 7month old 8800GTX is beating ATI's new GPU in just about every DX9 application (by a long shot in some games) we are now seeing the same thing happen with the first DX10 demo despite all the talk of the R600 being so much more superior in DX10. To add insult to injury ATI is also losing in the one area that they used to reign supreme-Image Quality

While I agree that the R600 should get better over time with newer drivers its very very difficult to imagine that driver updates alone could ever close this kind of gap.

OK, heres some quotes
Before you begin testing, there are a few points I want to convey about “Lost Planet”. “Lost Planet” is an Nvidia-sponsored title, and one that Nvidia has had a chance to look at and optimize their drivers for. The developer has not made us aware of this new benchmark, and as such the ATI Radeon driver team has not had the opportunity explore how the benchmark uses our hardware and optimize in a similar fashion. Over the next little while AMD will be looking at this, but in the meantime, please note that whatever performance you see will not be reflective of what gamers will experience in the final build of the game.
And heres some more
With the resolution cranked up to 1600 x 1200 the tables were turned and the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT was able to take the lead over the more expensive GeForce 8800 GTX by less than two frames per second. Keep in mind our previous comments back in the image quality section about the use of a filter though!
And finally this one you NEED to look at, read it and weep http://it-review.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1337&Itemid=91&limit=1&limitstart=1 Look at the third one down, sorry for 800 bucks the 2900's win[/quote]

C26000

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
And finally this one you NEED to look at, read it and weep http://it-review.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1337&Itemid=91&limit=1&limitstart=1 Look at the third one down, sorry for 800 bucks the 2900's win

mm I'm not so impresed by those tests

8800GTS 640 vs HD29000XT

Fear: Tie

Far Cry: 8800GTS 640 wins by 14

Oblivion: HD29000XT wins by 3, almost tie

Prey : HD29000XT wins by 4, almost tie

Supreme Commander: 8800GTS 640 wins by 13

X3: 8800GTS 640 wins by 4, almost tie

I just realized that you said 'for 800 bucks' but after writing all this post, so I'm going to post it anyway...

ROBSLIN

Distinguished
May 14, 2007

OK, heres some quotes
Before you begin testing, there are a few points I want to convey about “Lost Planet”. “Lost Planet” is an Nvidia-sponsored title, and one that Nvidia has had a chance to look at and optimize their drivers for. The developer has not made us aware of this new benchmark, and as such the ATI Radeon driver team has not had the opportunity explore how the benchmark uses our hardware and optimize in a similar fashion. Over the next little while AMD will be looking at this, but in the meantime, please note that whatever performance you see will not be reflective of what gamers will experience in the final build of the game.
And heres some more
With the resolution cranked up to 1600 x 1200 the tables were turned and the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT was able to take the lead over the more expensive GeForce 8800 GTX by less than two frames per second. Keep in mind our previous comments back in the image quality section about the use of a filter though!
And finally this one you NEED to look at, read it and weep http://it-review.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1337&Itemid=91&limit=1&limitstart=1 Look at the third one down, sorry for 800 bucks the 2900's win[/quote]

LOL you are truly the fanboy that I thought you were. :lol:

The 8800GTX slaughters the crap out of the 2900XT in nearly every game in those benchies except for in Oblivion when comparing Crossfire to SLI, however in single card form the 8800GTX wins in Oblivion.

MonocleCat

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
I don't see how driver tweaks/optimizations are going to close this gap, or improve image quality that drasticly. What happened to all the "2900 will blow away the gtx in dx10" speculation?

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
How about you do us all a favor and get yourself banned again because at least then we wouldn't have to listen to you spouting off your bullshit about how whatever you own is the best. Of course the GTX will beat the XT as the XT wasn't even aiming for the GTX but rather the GTS. Also keep in mind ATI's drivers for R600 based parts are very immature right now.

Rob, that wasnt my point. I showed a thread that hit home with YOU. Now I know its a dubious bench, as is this one you showed. We could argue and all that crap, but for what its worth, as time goes by, well know more about the 2900 and its abilitiies. If the 2900 or the 2950 doesnt shine, then Im going to get a 88 or a 89 GTX. Simple as that. Im waiting is all. All this speculation using these benches on a brand new product... I posted on 2 other threads showing the GTX and the GTS increased 10 to over 40% from out new to todays drivers. I expect the same for the 2900. If it goes under 400, and we see the driver improvements I may buy it. Or if its close to release, then go the 2950 route. The bad part about a 400$ card beating a 550$ card at a higher rez isnt good. I know ATI has plenty of issues, but using a sponsored demo by nVidia that ATI hasnt had a chance to optimize (maybe its ATI's fault) isnt the be all nor end all here. A 400$ card vs a 550$ card is a no brainer, but what really woulda been nice? Having the GTS640 go against the 2900, that is of course IF nVidia had time to optimize THEIR drivers for the GTS for this demo

accu

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
the gtx didnt do too good on it either, remember no eye-candy stuffs were on only default settings. i say forget about ati-amd because they lost already in cpu and video cards.

TonyStark

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
The 8800GTX slaughters the crap out of the 2900XT in nearly every game in those benchies except for in Oblivion when comparing Crossfire to SLI, however in single card form the 8800GTX wins in Oblivion.

Well yeah ... why wouldn't it? It costs an extra $200 ....

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

Well yeah ... why wouldn't it? It costs an extra $200 ....And it only came out 6 months earlier. :wink:

I think the benchmark is very misleading however as the screenshots showed the HD 2900XT wasn't rendering it properly. I think with the proper drivers the performance should be similar or better than the 8800GTS.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

OK, heres some quotes
And heres some more
And finally this one you NEED to look at, read it and weep http://it-review.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1337&Itemid=91&limit=1&limitstart=1 Look at the third one down, sorry for 800 bucks the 2900's win

LOL you are truly the fanboy that I thought you were. :lol:

Dude.. can it...

AMD's Comments on Lost Planet:

nVIDIA have already had a chance to optimize for the benchmark.. where as AMD have not.. it's as simple as that.

If it wasn't already enough that the 7month old 8800GTX is beating ATI's new GPU in just about every DX9 application (by a long shot in some games) we are now seeing the same thing happen with the first DX10 demo despite all the talk of the R600 being so much more superior in DX10.

This is far from a good good example of a DX10 game, still primarily DX9 with DX10 tacked on. And as a TWIMTBP title, I'd say day 1 of the launch benchie doesn't mean much.

To add insult to injury ATI is also losing in the one area that they used to reign supreme-Image Quality

Yeah that's obvious by these unbiased posts you spoke of earlier. :roll:

Seriously you're what 1 day into the 'new you' and already calling people Fanboys?

Knew it wouldn't last. :roll:

ROBSLIN

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
If it wasn't already enough that the 7month old 8800GTX is beating ATI's new GPU in just about every DX9 application (by a long shot in some games) we are now seeing the same thing happen with the first DX10 demo despite all the talk of the R600 being so much more superior in DX10.

This is far from a good good example of a DX10 game, still primarily DX9 with DX10 tacked on. And as a TWIMTBP title, I'd say day 1 of the launch benchie doesn't mean much.

To add insult to injury ATI is also losing in the one area that they used to reign supreme-Image Quality

Yeah that's obvious by these unbiased posts you spoke of earlier. :roll:

Seriously you're what 1 day into the 'new you' and already calling people Fanboys?

Knew it wouldn't last. :roll:

Ape you can sure hold a grudge when someone repeatedly makes you look ignorant cant you? :lol:

If your gonna continue to bash me bro then you can expect it right back at ya.

mtriples

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Rob...man...you have some serious problems...to summarize it all up...

As you've been informed so many times, but still don't seem to get it, the 2900 XT was meant to compete with the 8800 GTS...not the GTX...that's what the 2900 XTX (or 2950?) will be for whenever it's released. So give it a break.

And again, there's the driver issue. The 8800 series performed a lot worse than it does now when it was first released because the drivers hadn't been optimized at the time. The fact that the 2900 XT can beat the GTS and sometimes even the GTX in the benchmarks with its release drivers should say something...and Crossfire goes the same way...as the drivers improve, it'll only get better.

Ape you can sure hold a grudge when someone repeatedly makes you look ignorant cant you? :lol:

Dude, the only person looking ignorant is you. I don't hold a grudge, but I also don't forget either so when someone does what was expected I simply point it out to them.

You wanna post something more informative other than a nV-sponsored demo, and title it the way you did, and react to Jaydeejohn the way you did, then maybe you'd get a different reaction. However don't expect me to pretend you're some new guy worthy of the wide berth of ignorance, and pretend you didn't make statements about 'changing your ways' just the day before. :roll:

If your gonna continue to bash me bro then you can expect it right back at ya.

That's fine, it'll be like you never left 6 or 7 times. :roll:

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
"Lost Planet” is an Nvidia-sponsored title, and one that Nvidia has had a chance to look at and optimize their drivers for...

the ATI Radeon driver team has not had the opportunity explore how the benchmark uses our hardware and optimize in a similar fashion...

please note that whatever performance you see will not be reflective of what gamers will experience in the final build of the game.

It would have helped if you learnt how to read when you were banned Rob. :roll:

But that's okay, since it's you you'll be banned by the end of the week anyway.

ROBSLIN

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
As you've been informed so many times, but still don't seem to get it, the 2900 XT was meant to compete with the 8800 GTS

Right..............after ATI trying for 6 months to come up with something better than the 8800GTX only to have it measure up to the 8800GTS so they adjust the cost accordingly and then play a nice COP OUT of (oh! we are just competing with the GTS) :roll:

ATI's best should be compared with Nvidia's best. Period. Especially coming out 6 months after the G80.

And again, there's the driver issue.

And again, I realize that and even mentioned it. However ATI is far enough behind NV especially when AA and AF are applied that I do not see how drivers alone will ever make up for it. Plus the Card has been ready now for longer than you think and this is the best ATI can do with the drivers? :roll:

Its not gonna be as easy as you make it out to be.

The 8800 series performed a lot worse than it does now when it was first released because the drivers hadn't been optimized at the time.

Honestly, for you people who dont even own a G80 please just STFU about this already :roll: I have had the card for 6 months now and while performance has gotten a bit better it has not gotten that much better because these cards came out and performed incredibly well right from the get go. The main things that have been fixed have been graphical glitches, crashes. etc....

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
WOW WOW...Just looked at the second page i was shocked! 8O
The HD2900XT's image quality is pathetic! :roll:
87FPS VS 16FPS? :lol:
Why they didn't include the 8800GTS? :x
I think that i heard somewhere that HD2900XT is going to spank the hell out of 8800Series in DX10. :roll:
nVIDIA Rule!
67zisnc.gif

hFIKz

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
They are right on the part with the HD2900XT competing with the 8800gts. The XT and XTX (which is supposed to be for 8800gtx) have the same core, just the XTX has GDDR4 and 1gb of memory which we all know of course. So its only more bandwidth and memory speed which should MAYBE :lol: close the gap that we saw in the DX9 benches.

I'm wondering how big a difference with the xtx using GDDR4.