Sign in with
Your question

8800GTX Spanking 2900XT in first DX10 DEMO LOST PLANET

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 16, 2007 12:08:53 AM

If it wasn't already enough that the 7month old 8800GTX is beating ATI's new GPU in just about every DX9 application (by a long shot in some games) we are now seeing the same thing happen with the first DX10 demo despite all the talk of the R600 being so much more superior in DX10. To add insult to injury ATI is also losing in the one area that they used to reign supreme-Image Quality

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/505/1/

While I agree that the R600 should get better over time with newer drivers its very very difficult to imagine that driver updates alone could ever close this kind of gap.

Come on ATI! I want you to do good!
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 12:25:04 AM

Quote:
If it wasn't already enough that the 7month old 8800GTX is beating ATI's new GPU in just about every DX9 application (by a long shot in some games) we are now seeing the same thing happen with the first DX10 demo despite all the talk of the R600 being so much more superior in DX10. To add insult to injury ATI is also losing in the one area that they used to reign supreme-Image Quality

While I agree that the R600 should get better over time with newer drivers its very very difficult to imagine that driver updates alone could ever close this kind of gap.

OK, heres some quotes
Quote:
Before you begin testing, there are a few points I want to convey about “Lost Planet”. “Lost Planet” is an Nvidia-sponsored title, and one that Nvidia has had a chance to look at and optimize their drivers for. The developer has not made us aware of this new benchmark, and as such the ATI Radeon driver team has not had the opportunity explore how the benchmark uses our hardware and optimize in a similar fashion. Over the next little while AMD will be looking at this, but in the meantime, please note that whatever performance you see will not be reflective of what gamers will experience in the final build of the game.

And heres some more
Quote:
With the resolution cranked up to 1600 x 1200 the tables were turned and the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT was able to take the lead over the more expensive GeForce 8800 GTX by less than two frames per second. Keep in mind our previous comments back in the image quality section about the use of a filter though!

And finally this one you NEED to look at, read it and weep http://it-review.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=... Look at the third one down, sorry for 800 bucks the 2900's win[/quote]
May 16, 2007 12:52:11 AM

Quote:

And finally this one you NEED to look at, read it and weep http://it-review.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=... Look at the third one down, sorry for 800 bucks the 2900's win

mm I'm not so impresed by those tests

8800GTS 640 vs HD29000XT

Fear: Tie

Far Cry: 8800GTS 640 wins by 14

Oblivion: HD29000XT wins by 3, almost tie

Prey : HD29000XT wins by 4, almost tie

Supreme Commander: 8800GTS 640 wins by 13

X3: 8800GTS 640 wins by 4, almost tie

I just realized that you said 'for 800 bucks' but after writing all this post, so I'm going to post it anyway...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 16, 2007 12:55:44 AM

Terrible results for ATI. I do hope drivers will improve the performance. This is just embarrassing.

Although, the card looks nice. :lol: 
May 16, 2007 2:06:43 AM

Quote:

OK, heres some quotes
Quote:
Before you begin testing, there are a few points I want to convey about “Lost Planet”. “Lost Planet” is an Nvidia-sponsored title, and one that Nvidia has had a chance to look at and optimize their drivers for. The developer has not made us aware of this new benchmark, and as such the ATI Radeon driver team has not had the opportunity explore how the benchmark uses our hardware and optimize in a similar fashion. Over the next little while AMD will be looking at this, but in the meantime, please note that whatever performance you see will not be reflective of what gamers will experience in the final build of the game.

And heres some more
Quote:
With the resolution cranked up to 1600 x 1200 the tables were turned and the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT was able to take the lead over the more expensive GeForce 8800 GTX by less than two frames per second. Keep in mind our previous comments back in the image quality section about the use of a filter though!

And finally this one you NEED to look at, read it and weep http://it-review.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=... Look at the third one down, sorry for 800 bucks the 2900's win[/quote]

LOL you are truly the fanboy that I thought you were. :lol: 

The 8800GTX slaughters the crap out of the 2900XT in nearly every game in those benchies except for in Oblivion when comparing Crossfire to SLI, however in single card form the 8800GTX wins in Oblivion.
May 16, 2007 2:18:01 AM

I don't see how driver tweaks/optimizations are going to close this gap, or improve image quality that drasticly. What happened to all the "2900 will blow away the gtx in dx10" speculation?
May 16, 2007 2:24:19 AM

How about you do us all a favor and get yourself banned again because at least then we wouldn't have to listen to you spouting off your bullshit about how whatever you own is the best. Of course the GTX will beat the XT as the XT wasn't even aiming for the GTX but rather the GTS. Also keep in mind ATI's drivers for R600 based parts are very immature right now.
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 2:28:37 AM

Rob, that wasnt my point. I showed a thread that hit home with YOU. Now I know its a dubious bench, as is this one you showed. We could argue and all that crap, but for what its worth, as time goes by, well know more about the 2900 and its abilitiies. If the 2900 or the 2950 doesnt shine, then Im going to get a 88 or a 89 GTX. Simple as that. Im waiting is all. All this speculation using these benches on a brand new product... I posted on 2 other threads showing the GTX and the GTS increased 10 to over 40% from out new to todays drivers. I expect the same for the 2900. If it goes under 400, and we see the driver improvements I may buy it. Or if its close to release, then go the 2950 route. The bad part about a 400$ card beating a 550$ card at a higher rez isnt good. I know ATI has plenty of issues, but using a sponsored demo by nVidia that ATI hasnt had a chance to optimize (maybe its ATI's fault) isnt the be all nor end all here. A 400$ card vs a 550$ card is a no brainer, but what really woulda been nice? Having the GTS640 go against the 2900, that is of course IF nVidia had time to optimize THEIR drivers for the GTS for this demo
May 16, 2007 2:39:27 AM

the gtx didnt do too good on it either, remember no eye-candy stuffs were on only default settings. i say forget about ati-amd because they lost already in cpu and video cards.
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 2:42:21 AM

I dont think this is really going to show us DX10 in its full capacity. I have a feeling that the GTX and the 2900 will both do better in some DX10 games
May 16, 2007 2:46:52 AM

Quote:
The 8800GTX slaughters the crap out of the 2900XT in nearly every game in those benchies except for in Oblivion when comparing Crossfire to SLI, however in single card form the 8800GTX wins in Oblivion.

Well yeah ... why wouldn't it? It costs an extra $200 ....
May 16, 2007 2:55:01 AM

Quote:

Well yeah ... why wouldn't it? It costs an extra $200 ....
More like an extra $100 today:
Cheapest GTX $529.99
Cheapest 2900XT $429.99
May 16, 2007 3:03:53 AM

Quote:

Well yeah ... why wouldn't it? It costs an extra $200 ....And it only came out 6 months earlier. :wink:

I think the benchmark is very misleading however as the screenshots showed the HD 2900XT wasn't rendering it properly. I think with the proper drivers the performance should be similar or better than the 8800GTS.
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 3:23:27 AM

I removed my earlier post as it referred to the Call of Juarez bench/demo. But this is against the GTX not the GTS vs 2900
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 4:00:27 AM

Quote:

OK, heres some quotes
Quote:

And heres some more
Quote:

And finally this one you NEED to look at, read it and weep http://it-review.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=... Look at the third one down, sorry for 800 bucks the 2900's win

LOL you are truly the fanboy that I thought you were. :lol: 

Dude.. can it...

Quote:
AMD's Comments on Lost Planet:

nVIDIA have already had a chance to optimize for the benchmark.. where as AMD have not.. it's as simple as that.
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 4:14:46 AM

Quote:
If it wasn't already enough that the 7month old 8800GTX is beating ATI's new GPU in just about every DX9 application (by a long shot in some games) we are now seeing the same thing happen with the first DX10 demo despite all the talk of the R600 being so much more superior in DX10.

This is far from a good good example of a DX10 game, still primarily DX9 with DX10 tacked on. And as a TWIMTBP title, I'd say day 1 of the launch benchie doesn't mean much.

Quote:
To add insult to injury ATI is also losing in the one area that they used to reign supreme-Image Quality

Yeah that's obvious by these unbiased posts you spoke of earlier. :roll:

Seriously you're what 1 day into the 'new you' and already calling people Fanboys?

Knew it wouldn't last. :roll:
May 16, 2007 4:21:52 AM

Quote:
If it wasn't already enough that the 7month old 8800GTX is beating ATI's new GPU in just about every DX9 application (by a long shot in some games) we are now seeing the same thing happen with the first DX10 demo despite all the talk of the R600 being so much more superior in DX10.

This is far from a good good example of a DX10 game, still primarily DX9 with DX10 tacked on. And as a TWIMTBP title, I'd say day 1 of the launch benchie doesn't mean much.

Quote:
To add insult to injury ATI is also losing in the one area that they used to reign supreme-Image Quality

Yeah that's obvious by these unbiased posts you spoke of earlier. :roll:

Seriously you're what 1 day into the 'new you' and already calling people Fanboys?

Knew it wouldn't last. :roll:

Ape you can sure hold a grudge when someone repeatedly makes you look ignorant cant you? :lol: 

If your gonna continue to bash me bro then you can expect it right back at ya.
May 16, 2007 4:46:39 AM

Rob...man...you have some serious problems...to summarize it all up...

As you've been informed so many times, but still don't seem to get it, the 2900 XT was meant to compete with the 8800 GTS...not the GTX...that's what the 2900 XTX (or 2950?) will be for whenever it's released. So give it a break.

And again, there's the driver issue. The 8800 series performed a lot worse than it does now when it was first released because the drivers hadn't been optimized at the time. The fact that the 2900 XT can beat the GTS and sometimes even the GTX in the benchmarks with its release drivers should say something...and Crossfire goes the same way...as the drivers improve, it'll only get better.
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 4:54:36 AM

Quote:

Ape you can sure hold a grudge when someone repeatedly makes you look ignorant cant you? :lol: 

Dude, the only person looking ignorant is you. I don't hold a grudge, but I also don't forget either so when someone does what was expected I simply point it out to them.

You wanna post something more informative other than a nV-sponsored demo, and title it the way you did, and react to Jaydeejohn the way you did, then maybe you'd get a different reaction. However don't expect me to pretend you're some new guy worthy of the wide berth of ignorance, and pretend you didn't make statements about 'changing your ways' just the day before. :roll:

Quote:
If your gonna continue to bash me bro then you can expect it right back at ya.

That's fine, it'll be like you never left 6 or 7 times. :roll:
May 16, 2007 5:46:49 AM

Quote:
"Lost Planet” is an Nvidia-sponsored title, and one that Nvidia has had a chance to look at and optimize their drivers for...

the ATI Radeon driver team has not had the opportunity explore how the benchmark uses our hardware and optimize in a similar fashion...

please note that whatever performance you see will not be reflective of what gamers will experience in the final build of the game.

It would have helped if you learnt how to read when you were banned Rob. :roll:

But that's okay, since it's you you'll be banned by the end of the week anyway.
May 16, 2007 5:50:55 AM

Quote:

As you've been informed so many times, but still don't seem to get it, the 2900 XT was meant to compete with the 8800 GTS

Right..............after ATI trying for 6 months to come up with something better than the 8800GTX only to have it measure up to the 8800GTS so they adjust the cost accordingly and then play a nice COP OUT of (oh! we are just competing with the GTS) :roll:

ATI's best should be compared with Nvidia's best. Period. Especially coming out 6 months after the G80.

Quote:

And again, there's the driver issue.

And again, I realize that and even mentioned it. However ATI is far enough behind NV especially when AA and AF are applied that I do not see how drivers alone will ever make up for it. Plus the Card has been ready now for longer than you think and this is the best ATI can do with the drivers? :roll:

Its not gonna be as easy as you make it out to be.

Quote:

The 8800 series performed a lot worse than it does now when it was first released because the drivers hadn't been optimized at the time.

Honestly, for you people who dont even own a G80 please just STFU about this already :roll: I have had the card for 6 months now and while performance has gotten a bit better it has not gotten that much better because these cards came out and performed incredibly well right from the get go. The main things that have been fixed have been graphical glitches, crashes. etc....
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 6:05:59 AM

I think the fuse just hit the powder 8O 8O 8O
May 16, 2007 6:25:58 AM

WOW WOW...Just looked at the second page i was shocked! 8O
The HD2900XT's image quality is pathetic! :roll:
87FPS VS 16FPS? :lol: 
Why they didn't include the 8800GTS? :x
I think that i heard somewhere that HD2900XT is going to spank the hell out of 8800Series in DX10. :roll:
nVIDIA Rule!
May 16, 2007 6:36:41 AM

i love graphics wars :D 
May 16, 2007 6:46:59 AM

They are right on the part with the HD2900XT competing with the 8800gts. The XT and XTX (which is supposed to be for 8800gtx) have the same core, just the XTX has GDDR4 and 1gb of memory which we all know of course. So its only more bandwidth and memory speed which should MAYBE :lol:  close the gap that we saw in the DX9 benches.

I'm wondering how big a difference with the xtx using GDDR4.
May 16, 2007 6:53:42 AM

nvida still has the 8900 name that it can use for a better gpu with more clocks and ddr4 before it comes out with the new 9 series or whatever they gonna call it (cant be 9800, ati will get mad at that :p ). and we'll have to wait another 6/7 months for ati/amd to come out with a card that'll shred the 9 series... and it will go on and on and this story will never end.

so nvidia fans lets keep buying nvidia, ati fans keep buying ati, and performance fans use whichever performs best
May 16, 2007 6:55:12 AM

Actually, I very much suspect Nvidia cannot wait to use the names 9700, 9800 etc on their next cards...
May 16, 2007 7:00:04 AM

Isn't the hd2900 xt suppossed to compete against the 8800 gts instead? Certainly pricewise it's comparable....
May 16, 2007 7:07:55 AM

who the hell is rob slin and how the hell does he think he knows more than the ape?

p.s he's making himself look stupid
May 16, 2007 7:10:18 AM

Reported. Again. Last time? I think not. Rob comes back more than lazurus

As for this thread, I kind of agree that the r600 should be performing better. Since they claimed to have it ready in January it would be reasonable to assume that they have done a fair bit of driver revisions since then, and the current ones are actually a fair representation of the cards potential performance. As with all ATI cards in the past, expect 5% here and there over the next few months/revisions with the occasional performance increase in some games being much higher. Fact is, and this is a sad one, the R600 was delayed almost 6 months, and didn’t live up to expectation.

Anyway, didn’t you just get banned rob? My goodness man, stop causing a ruckus! Ape lives only a few blocks away from me, so by proximity you're insulting me too, for that matter, you insulted all Canadians. It seems you want us to bow down and praise you for your admittedly nice rig, but to expect anything more than a "sweet rig man" is expecting too much, and as such, you should be happy with what you have and feel confident enough to not require outside sources to boost your ego.

Please address others with respect, everyone here has a mind that has a unique thought process ingrained within it, therefore you will not always have people agree with you and because of this, you must show respect for other peoples thoughts and ideas. If you disagree, show in a constructive manner where you disagree, why, and if possible, show a reference to where you base your opinion. The bottom line is that you can do all of this, but if it’s done without respect, than it will be taken the wrong way 99.9% of the time. The .01% is Jesus because He wouldn't flame you :p 
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 7:32:55 AM

Quote:

Blah blah blah cries the lil ass raped ATI fanboy :roll: Truth hurts doesnt it fanboy? :lol: 

You really only prove over and over again your own short-comings the more you post.
My pointing out things gets you worked up because you have no intelligent response.

Quote:
I tell you what, I really dont give a fuk if I get banned. I have come to realize that this place is a total and complete fuking joke of a hardware forum and 99.9 percent of you stupid douch bags dont have a fuking clue.

Considering your participation, it's clear that you couldn't even buy a clue, despite how hard it is you seem to try to do just that.

Quote:
So go ahead, have me banned you Canadian piece of fuking sh1t ATI fanboy.

Why would I bother, you make yourself look ridiculous each time you come back, and you said many times before you were done, you were finsihed and leaving, yadda yadda. :roll:

Quote:
FACT IS ATI 6 MONTHS AFTER THE RELEASE OF THE G80 SHOULD BE OUTPERFORMING ITS COMPETITION INSTEAD OF LOSING TO THE COMP

I wouldn't say that as it doesn't need to outperform, it simply needs to perform well enough to sell enough. While I would agree that they should have brought to market a part able to compete with the GTX and not GTS and have said as much, it would be for a different reason than you're ridiculous junk. I doubt you could wrap your head around things like margins and ROI on R&D. The reality is that AMD has decided to target the GTS on price based on performance, so that's the area it competes with for performance/value, That not where they wanted to be when they started their planning that seems obvious, but that's where it is now, and they just need to sell as many as they can for as much as they can until their next round.

Quote:
ALL THIS WHILE CONSUMING EVEN MORE POWER AND RUNNING HOT ENOUGH TO ROAST A CHICKEN WITH.

It does consume more power but that seems to be more TSMC's 80HS' fault than the design. As to whether or not it's a major concern for someone buying a $400 card that there might be a $5 increase in their annual electricity bill. :roll: We're not talking about 'green' solutions from either company after all. The most important factor will still be performance/$.

As for heat they aren't much hotter than the GTS and cooler than the GTX like your favourite site to pilfer bandwidth from points out;
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/7540/loadtempsj9.gif

Really it's the GTX and OC'ed GTS that you use to compare things that are running hot enough to get roasted, running hotter than the XTs.

Running 50/50 on that complaint of yours, which is about par for the quality of your info.

You could've scored better if you brought in the noise of that more efficient cooler. Can't believe you missed that opportunity. :tongue:
May 16, 2007 7:53:59 AM

is it me or somebody here tried to act mature at first and failed at end which opens up his immaturity to the whole forums (for the second time i think).

long story short Ati released this product for the sake of acting vulnerable. it seems to work though, nvidians stick to their gtx till the end, egg heads at the main camp are getting bigger, two of their partners are suing one another for some dog. what they dont know is amd will rebrand ati (as this will be the last "ati" card, a humble bow before surrender). they will give up ati firearms and when they last suspect it, POOFF!!! amd attacked with external video card through pci express ribbon powered by solar (ok maybe not) with matching intel floor protectors.

ps. non/all of this is either/neither true and/or false

-ati fanboy
May 16, 2007 8:21:59 AM

i forgot to say:

for those on the gtx side, 2900xt is made to compete with gts. just because its the latest release, it doesnt mean that it should beat the crap of the oppositions latest release. a punch landed faster doesnt mean it hits harder.

for those on the xtx side, 2950xtx will be on par with g90 cards. but it will have better future than hoping for an update of 2900xt drivers to miraculously compete with 8800gtx or ultra if your really that pathetic.
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 8:34:51 AM

Exactly, I think itll maybe nip the GTX in a game or two, MAYBE I said. But for the most part itll compete quite well against the GTS. LOL miraculas drivers...now thats funny
May 16, 2007 9:21:58 AM

Damn!
I didn't know that there are so many ATI lovers here...! :roll:
May 16, 2007 9:55:21 AM

Quote:
Damn!

well now you know :lol:  :p 

@ the new and still not improved Rob:

The fact that 8800GTX beats the HD2900XT is perfectly right.....it was supposed to beat it. The 2900XT was meant to compete with the 8800 GTS not the GTX, so i dont see why your so suprised and yelling at the top of your voice saying "2900xt got spanked by 8800GTX"

well......no sh*t sherlock :roll:
May 16, 2007 11:01:55 AM

That's not the issue. ATI Fanboys have been talking smack from day one. Now that their card doesn't measure up convincingly against the cheaper 8800GTS they can't take the heat. I'm really sorry but when you talk lots of trash and it doesn't pan out you have deal with it. ATI/AMD and the fanboys brought this on themselves.

No more excuses take it like a man and hope their next product can live up to the hype.
May 16, 2007 11:07:02 AM

Quote:

As you've been informed so many times, but still don't seem to get it, the 2900 XT was meant to compete with the 8800 GTS

Right..............after ATI trying for 6 months to come up with something better than the 8800GTX only to have it measure up to the 8800GTS so they adjust the cost accordingly and then play a nice COP OUT of (oh! we are just competing with the GTS) :roll:

ATI's best should be compared with Nvidia's best. Period. Especially coming out 6 months after the G80.

Quote:

And again, there's the driver issue.

And again, I realize that and even mentioned it. However ATI is far enough behind NV especially when AA and AF are applied that I do not see how drivers alone will ever make up for it. Plus the Card has been ready now for longer than you think and this is the best ATI can do with the drivers? :roll:

Its not gonna be as easy as you make it out to be.

Quote:

The 8800 series performed a lot worse than it does now when it was first released because the drivers hadn't been optimized at the time.

Honestly, for you people who dont even own a G80 please just STFU about this already :roll: I have had the card for 6 months now and while performance has gotten a bit better it has not gotten that much better because these cards came out and performed incredibly well right from the get go. The main things that have been fixed have been graphical glitches, crashes. etc....

This is making me think of the Intel vs. AMD argument...Intel going for the fastest, making it harder for the consumer to get high end performance...while AMD was playing the control card, taking Intel's inattention and gaining market-share with excellent performance for the average consumer.

Quote:
So go ahead, have me banned you Canadian piece of fuking sh1t ATI fanboy.

How does Canada deserve this? 8O We have never done anything wrong to the states, despite the way they treat us. As a whole, they act like a parasite thats outgrown it's host...demanding our lumber, fresh water, oil...but of course most Americans know nothing of this, not caring about us...You have no idea how many I've met visiting up here who were surprised to not find igloos and polar bears... :lol: 

Canada was rated as the best place to live in out of the entire world by a UN survey...and need I mention the American ambassadors in other countries who fly Canadian flags on their limo's so that they don't get shot to hell? :?

This is the second...and last...post I'll be directing at you, Rob. Immature, opinionated, and from the Canadian comment, ill-educated (and jealous). :wink:
May 16, 2007 11:14:40 AM

Quote:
Damn!

well now you know :lol:  :p 

@ the new and still not improved Rob:

The fact that 8800GTX beats the HD2900XT is perfectly right.....it was supposed to beat it. The 2900XT was meant to compete with the 8800 GTS not the GTX, so i dont see why your so suprised and yelling at the top of your voice saying "2900xt got spanked by 8800GTX"

well......no sh*t sherlock :roll:

Seems to me a little bit funny, hmm, wasn't R600 supposed to beat the G80? I think it was, all the time, until one month ago or so when ATi announced that R600 won't make it. So, R600 WAS meant to compete with the best from nvidia, and only a fanboy could deny this, as well as no one cares about some XTX cause there aren't any.
May 16, 2007 11:18:22 AM

LOL so im an ATI fanboy even though the majority of my cards have been nvidia :lol:  :lol:  good one :wink:

Im just stating the facts...even if it just a month old news.

personally i never claimed either card would be better off. a month or so ago, they said the xt wouldnt cut it with the GTX, so whats the point comparing the two now and rejoicing??

soo the GTX beats the XT........and??? did someone die? commit suicide?

Its like 5 year olds arguing over who has the best action figure :roll:

So the GTX wins in all games.....great, go ahead and get one....who is stopping you?
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 11:21:33 AM

Easy bout the they thing. I live in the states, and have lived in OH Canada too. I understand it was uncalled for, and for him I apologise. I loved living in Canada, one great country
May 16, 2007 11:24:36 AM

Quote:
LOL so im an ATI fanboy even though the majority of my cards have been nvidia :lol:  :lol:  good one :wink:

Im just stating the facts...even if it just a month old news.

personally i never claimed either card would be better off. a month or so ago, they said the xt wouldnt cut it with the GTX, so whats the point comparing the two now and rejoicing??

sry I didn't speak about you but about guys claiming that R600 was supposed to beat nvidia's mainstream 8800GTS which is not correct : )

edit: Since the R600 was announced, it's been awaited as a GPU which will re-take the performance crown, wasn't it?
May 16, 2007 11:26:38 AM

Quote:

sry I didn't speak about you but about guys claiming that R600 was supposed to beat nvidia's mainstream 8800GTS which is not correct : )

no worries :wink: , iv edited the post a bit, but its not aimed at you...well not the second half any way :p  :lol: 
May 16, 2007 11:30:47 AM

Yes ATI has msrp'd the 2900xt in direct competition with the 8800gts640. In the market place it is actually occupying it's own niche above the gts but definitely still below the gtx. So then the question becomes does it offer competitive price/performance? In some benches yes in some no.
DX10 is still a question mark? We need full dx10 releases not demos before drawing any conclusions.
The 2900xt is starting to remind me of the ps3, potential that will only be realized if developers specifically go after it. Long term performance between both cards may depend on which company has worked harder on working with and helping developers move to dx10.

One final note, these threads get unnecessarily long with 50% content re. Rob's forum etiquette. My recommendation if you have a post only to talk about Rob don't bother.
May 16, 2007 11:44:16 AM

Quote:
The 2900xt is starting to remind me of the ps3, potential that will only be realized if developers specifically go after it. Long term performance between both cards may depend on which company has worked harder on working with and helping developers move to dx10.

The PS3 is designed to last 5+ years though; you'll be lucky to get half of that out of your PC graphics card.

The problem is that by the time the X2900's full potential is realised it'll probably be superseded.
May 16, 2007 3:52:24 PM

Quote:
Damn!

That's odd...So by your logic, it's only ok to be an Nvidia fanboy??? Instead of labeling yourself proudly as an Nvidiot, and slamming others as being ATI fanboys, why not try to actually provide something worhtwhile to the discussion for a change.
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2007 3:57:40 PM

Quote:

The R600 was targeted at the G80, which includes the GTS.
What appears to have happened is that the R600 was targeted with the always top of the line XTX meant to challenge the GTX, as initial tesing started it appears that with a few bugs they weren't going to get the XTX where they wanted it but they could get the XT, so they did what they did last 2 launches and released the just under the top card first (the X1800XL didn't target the GF7900GTX, that was for the later XT). This time around the names are (and have been for a long time) the XT and XTX. The XT has the cheaper smaller & slower memory and the lower clocks. Now whatever the problems of the XTX it's not like they don't exist, they just haven't made it to market, and likely never will in 80nm garb, but may still surprise, no one knows other than those at AMD.

To think that the XT was ever targeted as anything more than ATi's second in line is ridiculous, that their first in line chip may not do it's task of competing with the GTX is separate to the XT. And that the XT is stuggling to accomplish it's task is also another issue. The chip itself may never compete with the GTX due to the leakage problems, but the XT board (which has lower specs) was always intended to compete with the GTS, however I'm sure ATi hoped more on raw performance and features alone rather than on price.

Quote:
edit: Since the R600 was announced, it's been awaited as a GPU which will re-take the performance crown, wasn't it?

Yes, but that doesn't mean that the XT is the card that ATi/AMD had hoped to do that with. At this point it obvious that the XT version of the card is built for price, not just speed.

So while the R600 was of course meant to dethrone the G80, that doesn't mean that the XT was meant to be the card to do it.
May 16, 2007 4:00:49 PM

Ahh, it's the rob we've all come to know, and ban... frequently.
May 16, 2007 4:07:57 PM

Indeed, I'm suprised he hasn't pulled out the gay Sandals vaction pictures already in this thread.
May 16, 2007 4:56:31 PM

Quote:
How does Canada deserve this? 8O We have never done anything wrong to the states, despite the way they treat us. As a whole, they act like a parasite thats outgrown it's host...demanding our lumber, fresh water, oil...but of course most Americans know nothing of this, not caring about us...You have no idea how many I've met visiting up here who were surprised to not find igloos and polar bears... :lol: 

Easy there my friend... kinda broad in your lumping us all together as "they". Isn't that kind of the same thing that you are saying "they" do to canadians? If "they" all think that you are still living in igloos isn't that the same as thinking that all of "them" think that? ;) 

just messing with ya man... lol

Honestly, I have nothing agains you cannucks. Always been good neighbors. Everyone here in the states that I have ever known thinks the same and I have vacationed up there many times.

Now if you want to get into the "demand" for lumber etc... we can get into NAFTA (that we all signed) and look at the crappy things from both sides of that deal. I actually lost my job many years ago directly because of the fallout from NAFTA and I have intimate knowledge of how the lumber market works... "demand" is not the operative word there. Lets just say that it is not the best agreement North America has ever seen and leave it there. ;) 

I am not complaining mind you, it forced me back to school and now I am doing much better b/c of it... just bringing it all up to counter your generalized statements. Still think you guys up north do alright by us, and we do alright by you overall.

Naturally all pleasantries disappear once we get into a hockey match... but that is another story. ;) 
!