DDR2/800: dual channel / latency

ss_blake

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Couple questions

1. Is there much performance difference between DDR2/800 chips running at 4 x 1GB (dual channel mode) versus 2 x 2GB (dual channel)? Can you run 4 x1GB in dual channel with Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo?

2. How about DDR2/800 2x2GB dual channel low latency (4-4-4-12) versus standard latency (5-5-5-15)?

My CPU is Intel Core2Duo E6600

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I seem to recall having read somewhere that the larger the memory module, the less it performs - i.e. your example 4x1GB vs. 2x2GB the 4x1GB should perform a little better. But I am not sure, just ringing a bell.
Perhaps it could be due to the slower timings on the larger modules....

I think you should answer the question yourself:
Will you, within the lifespan on your current/new system, get the need for more than 4 GB total?
If NO, go with the 4x1GB (usually cheaper anyway, and faster timings).
If YES DEFINATELY, no question about it go with the 2x2GB.

Remember, in 2 years you may be getting new system anyway with DDR3 1366MHz or whatever is in at that time, so don't think too far ahead in time...

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
And to answer specifically on the timings:
Yes, timings DOES matter. The lower the better. The most important number is the first digit as it is the CAS Latency (also refered to as CL) - i.e. 4-4-4-12. This is the number of clock cycles it takes from when the shipset is asking to access a memory circuit until it actually does access it. And since this is done all the time (read/write in RAM operations), the CAS Latency is important. The other numbers are other latencies but less critical than the CL.