Q2 Benchmarking

For quite some time, I've been puzzling over why Q2 consistently gets a
lower FPS than Q3 on my system.

Then tonight it hit me: cl_maxfps was left at the default value!
So I boosted it up to a more appropriate value of 200 and benchmarked.
197.7 FPS on demo2.dm2.

So I thought, let's see if it'll go higher. Boosted it to 300. Ran the
demo again.
210.3 FPS! w00t w00t!

Then I ran Crusher.dm2.
119.9 FPS! Another w00t! :D

"I see what the nhh-stars do, because so fair is their shape; it is
well for me with them and it is well for them. I am a nhh-star, the
companion of a nhh-star, I become a nhh-star, and I will not suffer for
ever."
EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
4 answers Last reply
More about benchmarking

    well enjoy it q2 evolved will fix that ;).i know in unreal i have to turn
    v-synch on because it runs tooo fast[300+fps].

    "EvilBill" <devlin@SPAM-ME-NOT-o-JERK-weset.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:ca8eva$rao$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > For quite some time, I've been puzzling over why Q2 consistently gets a
    > lower FPS than Q3 on my system.
    >
    > Then tonight it hit me: cl_maxfps was left at the default value!
    > So I boosted it up to a more appropriate value of 200 and benchmarked.
    > 197.7 FPS on demo2.dm2.
    >
    > So I thought, let's see if it'll go higher. Boosted it to 300. Ran the
    > demo again.
    > 210.3 FPS! w00t w00t!
    >
    > Then I ran Crusher.dm2.
    > 119.9 FPS! Another w00t! :D
    >
    > --

    thats strange. My cl_maxfps is still at whatever the default is, and I just
    tried crusher at 1024x768 with 4xaa and 8x af and scored 286.2 fps ;op

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    Tremble ye! for upon this sandbank of Apophis hund_
    <hund_schraube@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > well enjoy it q2 evolved will fix that ;).i know in unreal i have to
    > turn v-synch on because it runs tooo fast[300+fps].

    LOL, yeah, I haven't tried benchamarking Q2 Evolved yet. <g>

    "I see what the nhh-stars do, because so fair is their shape; it is
    well for me with them and it is well for them. I am a nhh-star, the
    companion of a nhh-star, I become a nhh-star, and I will not suffer for
    ever."
    EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
    My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/

    Tremble ye! for upon this sandbank of Apophis Margolis
    <someone@somewhere.org> wrote:
    > "EvilBill" <devlin@SPAM-ME-NOT-o-JERK-weset.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:ca8eva$rao$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
    >> For quite some time, I've been puzzling over why Q2 consistently
    >> gets a lower FPS than Q3 on my system.
    >>
    >> Then tonight it hit me: cl_maxfps was left at the default value!
    >> So I boosted it up to a more appropriate value of 200 and
    >> benchmarked. 197.7 FPS on demo2.dm2.
    >>
    >> So I thought, let's see if it'll go higher. Boosted it to 300. Ran
    >> the demo again.
    >> 210.3 FPS! w00t w00t!
    >>
    >> Then I ran Crusher.dm2.
    >> 119.9 FPS! Another w00t! :D
    >

    > thats strange. My cl_maxfps is still at whatever the default is, and
    > I just tried crusher at 1024x768 with 4xaa and 8x af and scored 286.2
    > fps ;op

    Bastage ;)
    All of you! Yer bastages! LOL ;)

    "I see what the nhh-stars do, because so fair is their shape; it is
    well for me with them and it is well for them. I am a nhh-star, the
    companion of a nhh-star, I become a nhh-star, and I will not suffer for
    ever."
    EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk
    My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/

FPS Video Games