2 Questions about fonts on PPC

August 14, 2005 5:20:57 AM

1: Can I set up an alternate font path so I can store fonts on e.g. a memory
card?
2: How can I DELETE .ttf fonts from \windows\fonts? I moved them all in, but
now I can't delete any, although they're not read-only

Dave Patterson
iPAQ rz1710, WM2003SE

More about : questions fonts ppc

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:20:58 AM

"David Patterson" <djpatto@lizzy.com.au> wrote:

>1: Can I set up an alternate font path so I can store fonts on e.g. a memory
>card?

I don't think you can, but maybe someone has done this successfully.

>2: How can I DELETE .ttf fonts from \windows\fonts? I moved them all in, but
>now I can't delete any, although they're not read-only

Rename the font getting rid of the TTF extension then soft reset.
Delete the newly renamed files. .TTF files are always "in use" on the
PPC so you can't delete them normally.
August 14, 2005 5:20:59 AM

Hello happy customers, on Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:55:56 -0500, "Ed
Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote:

>>1: Can I set up an alternate font path so I can store fonts on e.g. a memory
>>card?
>
>I don't think you can, but maybe someone has done this successfully.

I reviewed Fonts On Storage some time ago :
http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=726
Works fine.
--
Didier B. / torgamm
http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com

torgamm <reply.in.your.newsreader@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello happy customers, on Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:55:56 -0500, "Ed
>Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
><spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote:
>
>>>1: Can I set up an alternate font path so I can store fonts on e.g. a memory
>>>card?
>>
>>I don't think you can, but maybe someone has done this successfully.
>
>I reviewed Fonts On Storage some time ago :
>http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=726
>Works fine.

Cool. Thanks. I guess with an app just about anything is possible. :-)
Too bad it takes this much effort and can't be a simple reg hack. It
won't be an issue on WM5 though as fonts will just go in storage ROM
like everything else.
August 15, 2005 11:03:18 AM

Thanks Tor. Works great. I put a link in \windows\startup so it loads
automatically

David Patterson

"torgamm" <reply.in.your.newsreader@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:o odsf1l6rimn75sh6a4dejbt71supgugcb@4ax.com...
> Hello happy customers, on Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:55:56 -0500, "Ed
> Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
> <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote:
>
> >>1: Can I set up an alternate font path so I can store fonts on e.g. a
memory
> >>card?
> >
> >I don't think you can, but maybe someone has done this successfully.
>
> I reviewed Fonts On Storage some time ago :
> http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=726
> Works fine.
> --
> Didier B. / torgamm
> http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 3:21:33 PM

Do you mean ROM or non-volatile RAM? Because the problem here is not with
the built-in fonts, but ones added by apps or by the user

David Patterson

______
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:51:44 PM

"David Patterson" <djpatto@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Do you mean ROM or non-volatile RAM? Because the problem here is not with
>the built-in fonts, but ones added by apps or by the user

Well, same thing for our purposes. It is really flash-ROM, the
user-writable portion of the ROM.