How to share files over a wireless network?

jda70

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
HI.

I just built a new computer and I got a wireless network
up and running at home and would like to share files
between 2 computers.

The first computer is a new desktop computer I built
and the other is a laptop. The D-Link DI-624 wireless
router I got is hooked up to the new desktop computer.

I need to be able to access files on the laptop.
We made a folder on the laptop named storage
and set it up to sharefiles over the network.

The storage folder is not showing up in the new
computers My Network Places
so I can't access any of the files in that folder.
How do you get that storage folder to show up
on the new computers My Network Places?

Thanks for any help!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
When you go into My Network and Click on View Workgroup Computers do you see the laptop? If so, when you click on it do you see the shared files?

jda70

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Nope!

A window pops up saying...

Storage is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator for this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
My parents have the same router as you. They have a DI-624 Rev C. It's a pretty solid router for internet but file sharing is a little corky. I find it usually takes 15-20 minutes before it will recognize computers on the network if at all. A cool trick to figure out when it is ready is to log in and open up the command line and ping the IP of the computer you want to share with. Once it finally responds it ready for file sharing just select start run and enter the IP allways works. It will usually show up in my network places. Another way is to enter in //ipaddress or //computer name when your in my network palces. Hopefully they will fix that bug with a firmware update. I just recently moved back in and now use my DI-634M and this issue is no longer present with the same computers. I would also occasionally get your computer does not have permission to access this resource errors with the router.

On a side note never use the router with wpa encryption and an airport express it will always drop and yet maintain a blue light.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you haven't done so, go into My Network and run Set Up a Wireless Network for Home and Office and make sure you allow unlimited sharing