Sign in with
Your question
Closed

service pack 3 for winXP

Last response: in Windows XP
April 29, 2008 11:01:10 AM

Hi there!

I saw that XP SP 3 is now available and i was wondering if it's worth installing performance-wise.

Has anyone seen any improvements over SP2?

thank you

More about : service pack winxp

April 29, 2008 11:24:31 AM

it brings some performance and less blue screens.....but my 3870 gpu's seem to reset from time to time when i start windows =))
April 29, 2008 11:37:04 AM

do you have the link for sp3? i tried to find it on microsoft.com this morning but i can't find it.
Related resources
April 29, 2008 12:44:49 PM

I would wait a few weeks and see reactions. You know MS wants to kill XP so I don't know if they might want to mess up XP with this SP3 and try to force the Vista down your throat and up your butt. MS might be a little biased in tring to 'upgrade" xp.
April 29, 2008 1:34:36 PM

maximiza said:
I would wait a few weeks and see reactions. You know MS wants to kill XP so I don't know if they might want to mess up XP with this SP3 and try to force the Vista down your throat and up your butt. MS might be a little biased in tring to 'upgrade" xp.

/tinfoilhat
April 29, 2008 1:43:46 PM

Scotteq said:
/tinfoilhat

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

If you want to loosely think of Microsoft as authority (maybe the authority of operating systems), it never hurts to have questions and to question the unknown.
April 29, 2008 2:11:32 PM

AdamB5000 said:
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

If you want to loosely think of Microsoft as authority (maybe the authority of operating systems), it never hurts to have questions and to question the unknown.

"People who see grand conspiracies everywhere they look have watched too many Oliver Stone movies" - Me

Fact: XP SP2 *AND* SP3 both work fine. The odd device driver may puke. But guys - This is *Windows* we're talking about. It's a law of nature: Rocks are hard. Water is Wet. And Drivers Puke Sometimes.

Fact: XP is, and will remain, perfectly viable until after Win 7 is released. There is absolutely nothing preventing you from reinstalling from your OEM/Retail discs when you change/update your computer. Of course, this does make the presumption that people are smart enough to buy their own discs. Advice: Buy one with SP3. Put it in a drawer and keep it in case you need it. Cheap insurance.

Fact: Bug Fixes and Security updates from Microsoft are NOT ENDING. Only that the OS won't be sold in retail stores after June/July, and there will be no more service packs.

Fact: Service contracts are handled by outside companies. MSFT themselves are not in the business of tending their user's systems.

Fact: If you are a Business customer/user of XP, you have a service contract anyhow. Irregardless of the actual status of a given operating system, the vendor(s) you have your service contract with and your own IT staff are the one's performing the actual support function. Witness Win2K installations which are still active.

Fact: Most of the people b*tching on the boards here about XP's "support" ending are end user consumers who don't get any support anyhow. Quite simply: The whining and crying and carrying on is about something these people NEVER HAD in the first place.

So where's the conspiracy?? :lol: 

Therefore: /tinfoilhat
April 29, 2008 3:04:10 PM

My tin foil hat is made of crushed beer cans thank you for asking
anyhow

Waiting a few weeks to see what it does or does not do is not actually making a conspiricy charge. MS is being forced, grasping and clawing, to keep XP going a little bit, you deny this? Wouldn't it be great to make XP work like ME from MS point of view?

April 29, 2008 3:12:25 PM

maximiza said:
My tin foil hat is made of crushed beer cans thank you for asking
anyhow

Waiting a few weeks to see what it does or does not do is not actually making a conspiricy charge. MS is being forced, grasping and clawing, to keep XP going a little bit, you deny this? Wouldn't it be great to make XP work like ME from MS point of view?

<<Spoken kindly, and with the best possible intent>>

The Answer??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor
April 29, 2008 3:20:27 PM

Scotteq said:
...IrRegardless of the actual status...

meow!
April 29, 2008 3:31:43 PM

oye vay!!
April 29, 2008 8:56:14 PM

Obviously Microsoft needed more time to fckuk up XP and make it ME~like enough that people would actually *want* to install Vista...

Guess the Tin Foil Hat crowd carries teh day after all... :lol: 
April 29, 2008 9:15:27 PM

maximiza said:
O WOW look at this Scotteq and you other Bill Gate head Zombies,

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-xp-sp3,news-1190.ht...

Get a quote to say how I was right now.. how pathetic!!!!!!

Here's one: "Microsoft warned those running Microsoft Dynamics RMS to not install Windows XP SP3 or Vista SP1."

Yeah that makes sense Microsoft is going to screw up XP and Vista so people will buy Vista? :pt1cable: 
April 29, 2008 9:51:08 PM

Has any one tried SP3 with XP x64?
April 29, 2008 10:12:59 PM

SP3 isnt officially available yet is it?
April 29, 2008 10:39:32 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Has any one tried SP3 with XP x64?

So far, I haven't seen any SP3 for XP64. Supposedly it happened through a previous update covered by a Windows server update, but I can't confirm that. In any case, since I had kept up on previous updates, I don't know if anything really new will be contained.
April 29, 2008 10:41:20 PM

yeah microsoft website said 29th april but i don't see it anywhere. never on time. maybe they will put it up there at 29th april 11.59 PM...lol
April 29, 2008 11:57:36 PM

I will install SP3, but not right away.
April 30, 2008 12:17:52 AM

sailer said:
So far, I haven't seen any SP3 for XP64. Supposedly it happened through a previous update covered by a Windows server update, but I can't confirm that. In any case, since I had kept up on previous updates, I don't know if anything really new will be contained.

Cool.Thanks.
April 30, 2008 2:49:18 AM

I've installed SP3 on both of my machines - so far, no issues or problems at all (disable all AV, firewalls, other security apps).
April 30, 2008 1:31:38 PM

Quote:

I'm positive there were only 7 people in the entire world who thougth ME was a great idea and end-product. I, was not one of those people.
April 30, 2008 1:42:05 PM

That is NOT the final release, it is still a release candidate. Read the release notes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

This line pretty much says it all:
Support
Assisted support (telephone, e-mail, and online chat) is not available from Microsoft Support for this release of Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).
April 30, 2008 1:46:59 PM

True, only today they stated that they are going to delay it even longer, so in reality i would call sp3, sp3.1 cause they forgot to include a couple of things in the release to technet subscribers. Although the one released to technet subscribers was in fact the one they were going to release to the public. I have installed RC1, RC2, and this one and i really havnt noticed a difference in them vs sp2. Thats just my opinion though. :) 
April 30, 2008 1:52:22 PM

Actually that build has been available since april 19th, so no it is NOT in any way, shape or form SP3 RTM. SP3 was supposed to be RTM and release to windows update yesterday but alas... delays.

SP3 is mostly just a cumulative package for all of the updates from SP2 (which was released way back in 2004)... so I wouldnt expect to see much of a change.
April 30, 2008 3:41:03 PM

Quote:

SP3 is mostly just a cumulative package for all of the updates from SP2 (which was released way back in 2004)... so I wouldnt expect to see much of a change.

That would be nice, in and of itself, as 100 critical updates to a fresh SP2 install is a bit much... :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
April 30, 2008 4:42:51 PM

This is the XP Service Pack 3 File I downloaded yesterday and installed on 2 machines. Notice that the file name is much different than the RC's. My machines now show:

April 30, 2008 5:49:21 PM

I'm sticking wiff 3311 seems to be working good, I like the security features of packet loading/sending. Also I noticed sp2 with a floppy drive, I could use format/copysystem files. Xpsp3c2 that had change to make boot disk. the problem now is it creates a xp boot disk and when I tried a bios flash I had a promp saying cannot flash in windows. Before I did not get this. I was able to use windows flash, but not dos flash created by xpsp3 c2 and before I was able too flash with a dos flash program from xpsp2 format copysystem files.
April 30, 2008 6:01:58 PM

Not sure if I understand what you're saying, but I just inserted a blank floppy, copied a jpeg and a txt file and pasted them on floppy with no problems. I haven't formatted a floppy yet, but I'll reformat this one and see if there are problems.

Edit: I just reformatted that floppy (FAT32), copied another png and txt file and pasted fine - no problems here.
April 30, 2008 7:31:16 PM

Scotteq said:
"People who see grand conspiracies everywhere they look have watched too many Oliver Stone movies" - Me

Fact: XP SP2 *AND* SP3 both work fine. The odd device driver may puke. But guys - This is *Windows* we're talking about. It's a law of nature: Rocks are hard. Water is Wet. And Drivers Puke Sometimes.

Fact: XP is, and will remain, perfectly viable until after Win 7 is released. There is absolutely nothing preventing you from reinstalling from your OEM/Retail discs when you change/update your computer. Of course, this does make the presumption that people are smart enough to buy their own discs. Advice: Buy one with SP3. Put it in a drawer and keep it in case you need it. Cheap insurance.

Fact: Bug Fixes and Security updates from Microsoft are NOT ENDING. Only that the OS won't be sold in retail stores after June/July, and there will be no more service packs.

Fact: Service contracts are handled by outside companies. MSFT themselves are not in the business of tending their user's systems.

Fact: If you are a Business customer/user of XP, you have a service contract anyhow. Irregardless of the actual status of a given operating system, the vendor(s) you have your service contract with and your own IT staff are the one's performing the actual support function. Witness Win2K installations which are still active.

Fact: Most of the people b*tching on the boards here about XP's "support" ending are end user consumers who don't get any support anyhow. Quite simply: The whining and crying and carrying on is about something these people NEVER HAD in the first place.

So where's the conspiracy?? :lol: 

Therefore: /tinfoilhat

Wow. Thank you for proving just how small my penis is. I'm not sure I've ever been served on a message forum by a person who prefaces his arguments with "FACT."

Dwight Schrute?

You don't have to be the mecca of defense for XP. So people have questions and concerns. Big deal.
April 30, 2008 7:45:25 PM

sry here is the difference. Ok with xpsp2 in the format options at the bottom it use to say copy systems files. now it says create boot disk with xpsp3.
The problem when I make a boot disk using the xpsp3 and use a dos flash utility from that boot disk I get a promp saying cannot flash in windows, before with xpsp2 the format options said copy system files and I was able to use a dos flash program using a boot floppy made with xpsp2. I've had no problem formating a floppy or copying a file to the new floppy format. The only thing is the change of options in the format, and now I am unable to do a dos flash but am able to use a windows flash from that boot floppy.
May 1, 2008 12:21:31 PM

You can download SP3 from Microsoft's download site or wait until June 10 when it will be pushed out via automatic update. SP3 for XP-64 will not be released until later as it's not finished yet and and it's code base is based on Windows server 2003, not XP.
!