Sign in with
Your question

Brand new built comp, XPx64 = massive problems

Last response: in Windows XP
April 29, 2008 5:28:08 PM

For better or worse, Google gave me this forum as being relevant to my question. I went back about 8 pages in this subforum and didn't find any answer that helped with my problem.

Hubby and I incentivized the economy by purchasing the following parts -- and at the time, it seemed like it was going to be a pretty sweet build:
-- AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Dual Core
-- GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
-- ECS N9600GT-512MX-P GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit vid card
-- 2x1g Corsair DDR2 ram
-- 500g Western Digital HD
-- Windows XPx64 -- this actually came with 2 disks, a 32 bit version that repeatedly crashed on install and made me think my HD was DOA for 3 days until a friend ran a diagnostic that said the HD was fine, then he looked at the disks and said "duh, install the x64 disk" and the install went fine.

the install the only thing that's really gone fine.

I installed the mobo-drivers that came with the Gigabyte board. there was a VGA driver for mobo-video, an ethernet port driver, a southbridge driver, and one other little thing i can't recall atm. these installed fine. (there's also a basic sound driver but i can't install that until i "patch the Microsoft", which I can't do until I get the internet connection working.)

the ethernet port now recognizes when there's no rj45 cable in it, but when i put the cable in, it refuses to get an ip address from the modem. this is the same cable and same modem that i'm using on my current computer, the one I'm posting this from right now. (I "have" a router but it may or may not actually work, and besides, this is the only rj45 cable i have that i know is not damaged. so i keep having to disconnect this comp from the internet and put the cord over there, only to have it not work... it's very frustrating.) The Repair function, when I click it, freezes for a moment before telling me it cannot renew the IP. : [

I DLed a Sygate install exe, and the drivers for the GeForce 9600GT from the Nvidia website (making sure to get the XP-64-bit one), and put those 2 on a usb thumb drive and attempted to install them. The Sygate install will 'unzip' to a folder on my C drive, but clicking the exe in that folder... does nothing. Nothing starts, no error message is given, nothing. The Nvidia drivers begin to install, and then tells me, "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit." um... what?

This is the sum total of actions that have taken place on this computer. I can't connect to the internet because I can't get an IP. I almost don't want to connect to the internet because Sygate won't run; should I trust the Windows firewall to not be stupid? And why on earth are the drivers specifically made for the vid card I have thinking that the vid card doesn't exist? I'm so confused. I'm not an uber-geek, but I do understand more than a few things... but this is beyond what I know how to do.

It's like getting a new car, turning the key, and the car thinks there's no Drive gear. "I'm sorry, your car is not equipped with the capability to drive fowards." : [
If anyone knows anything that could possibly help, please, please help me. I'm at my knowledge's end.
April 29, 2008 5:42:22 PM

Download Gigabyte's drivers for the card and try those.

It also sounds like you have a bad .exe file for Sygate, try downloading it again or even a different version.
April 29, 2008 5:54:54 PM

Check the firewall. Check that the router is setup for DHCP.
Check that the driver is installed in device manager.
Related resources
April 29, 2008 5:56:17 PM

Are you using DSL for internet or Cable
April 29, 2008 6:21:14 PM

--> "Download Gigabyte's drivers for the card and try those."

Gigabyte makes drivers for my nvidia card (not the onboard video)?
I found this page -- http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/VGA/Driver_List.aspx... -- but there's 4 listed, how do i know which one i need?

--> "sounds like you have a bad .exe file for Sygate"
reDLed sygate from http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160 , uninstalled old version (which it make me do) before installing new version... which still refuses to run. will try to hunt down an older version of the install....

--> "Check the firewall."
there /is/ no firewall right now. I've disabled the windows firewall and the Sygate one refuses to run.

--> "Check that the router is setup for DHCP."
I'm not using a /router/ per se. I'm going straight from the comp to the modem. and the modem works fine, which i stated in the original post: "this is the same [rj45] cable and same modem that i'm using on my current computer." I take the cable out of my current comp and put it straight into the new comp... and i get nothing. it works on one comp, it doesn't work on the other. I don't know what to do.

--> I'm using cable internet.
April 29, 2008 6:52:18 PM

Try a PCI ehternet card. It is possible that the onboard ethernet is bad.
April 29, 2008 7:21:52 PM

How many yellow exclaimation marks ( ! ) do you have in device manager and for what device'(s) are they for?
April 29, 2008 7:35:33 PM

You should install XP32 with 2G RAM. It should have less hardware issues. What exactly did you buy (retail/OEM/Upgrade, SP2)?
April 29, 2008 7:49:15 PM

Did you up the DDR2 Voltage?

Also download SeaTools DOS and scan for HDD errors.
April 29, 2008 7:56:42 PM

-- > evongugg
I installed that driver, no change in occurrences. the port still will not connect. oddly enough, it says it /has/ an ip address (169.something, the numbers are gone now that i put the internet back into this comp), but it still refuses to connect to the internet-as-a-whole.

i suppose i could go get another ethernet card : x. am i silly to hope that my brand new motherboard actually works?

--> "How many yellow exclamation marks..."
In all the things in my device manager (in which the Geforce card is not listed, is that normal?), the only two yellow ! i have are for two copies of "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio".

--> DXRick
please see the part of the story that goes, "the 32 bit version [of the install CD] repeatedly crashed on install and made me think my HD was DOA for 3 days." I /can't/ install the 32-bit version. I don't know why. if we got more ram, would that make the x64 version suddenly work? 2gb ram sounds like a lot to me, considering my current comp has like 1 and a quarter.

"What exactly did you buy"
my husband, being a phd student, went to the computer store on campus and got Microsoft Windows XP Professional, 2 CDs, one says "with Service Pack 2" and the other says "x64 Edition". The 'sp2' disk refused to install and gave me this error message: "Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged." however, using the x64 disk, Windows installed just fine. the sp2 disk does not have any visible scratches on it at all.

--> Shadow703793 "Did you up the DDR2 Voltage? "
did i do what? o_0. i don't know how to do that.

"scan for HDD errors"
my friend who has a Geek Squad diagnostic tool ran a two hour full scan on the HD and it said it was perfectly fine. this was right before we tried installing the x64 windows.
April 29, 2008 8:01:14 PM

the 32bit version SHOULD have installed smoothly, there is absolutely no reason that it should crash.

Likewise, XP64 can run with any ammount of ram you throw at it. 1gb-the very large number maxmimum (i forget!)

At what point during the install did it crash?
(ps I think your making this out to be much more complicated than it actually is)
April 29, 2008 8:06:36 PM

"At what point during the install did it crash?"

while it was formatting the harddrive, before windows even really got started installing. it got to 70% formatting and would say "Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged."

and not to be contrary, but if the situation weren't really this complicated, what's the problem and how do i fix it? if the solution is simple, then please tell me what it is. i'm trying my best to clearly outline every step i'm doing so that people who know more than i do can see what i'm doing and either find that i'm doing something wrong, that i'm not doing something i should be, or that there is a problem beyond something i am/should be doing. too much information is better than too little, yes?
April 29, 2008 8:17:23 PM

sannask said:

--> Shadow703793 "Did you up the DDR2 Voltage? "
did i do what? o_0. i don't know how to do that.

"scan for HDD errors"
my friend who has a Geek Squad diagnostic tool ran a two hour full scan on the HD and it said it was perfectly fine. this was right before we tried installing the x64 windows.

Go to the BIOS ->M.I.T ->System Voltage Control -> Set to Manual
Then go to ->DDR2 Over Voltage -> +.1
Save and Exit. If you give me a link to the motherboard manual I could provide more exact information. The setting names that I used are just general settings for most/all Gigabyte motherboards.

As for the GeekSquad, their Diagnostic tool is very bad. Trust me. One of my friends had the some HDD problems after his PSU died and corrupted the drive (Windows installations failed, 2k, Xp, Vista). And he took it to GeekSquad and they did a "diagnostic" and it said the HDD was bad and they offered to sell him a new drive. He came back to me and I ran the SeaTools DOS via UBCD and voila! Found 3 or so corrupted sectors and the tool was also able to repair it (after Nuking the drive 1st). Its always worth it to run SeaTools DOS and see. I'm not trying to criticize your friend but I personally wouldn't recommend any one use GeekSquad 1) they over charge, 2) they don;'t know WTF they are talking about 60% of the time.

You could also try Microcenter if possible. Microcenter ppl. actually DO know WTF they are talking about. I once asked them for a PSU recommendation for a 8800GTX build (as a test), and they said that I should go with a Corsair 520HX. Then I said that I didn't like Corsair (not true btw) and wanted to go with something else like some random PSU they had on sale (think it was a CoolerMaster 600W) and they said that I should probably checkout the reviews online (specifically the XS PSU tire listing) for those two PSUs and also explained the +12amps and etc. I ended up buying the Corsair520 anyways,I wanted to get the 620HX but that would have been an overkill. Now that is what I call knowing WTF they are talking about.
April 29, 2008 8:18:20 PM

skittle said:
the 32bit version SHOULD have installed smoothly, there is absolutely no reason that it should crash.

Likewise, XP64 can run with any ammount of ram you throw at it. 1gb-the very large number maxmimum (i forget!)

At what point during the install did it crash?
(ps I think your making this out to be much more complicated than it actually is)

Agreed.
April 29, 2008 8:19:42 PM

On the running PC run the command "ipconfig /release" without the quotes and then disconnect it and connect the XP 64 PC and turn it on. The modem may only allow one machine to have an IP at a time. That is what a router and NAT allows you to do.
April 29, 2008 8:30:01 PM

Jim_L9 is right. The problem is actually with the modem. You could also reset the modem (should be a "little" button on the back). Contact your ISP Help-Desk to walk you throug it.
April 29, 2008 8:32:40 PM

^or unplugg power to modem for ~2-3minutes.
April 29, 2008 8:33:20 PM

sannask said:
while it was formatting the harddrive, before windows even really got started installing. it got to 70% formatting and would say "Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged."

Thats a nice big clue. Did you do a quick format or full format?

ANYWAY, here is what I do:
*Format drive using manufacturer supplied utility
*Boot from XP disk
*Install XP (on your machine it should NOT matter if its x64 or 32bit)
*install ethernet driver
*install firefox (or whatever your flavor is)
*download drivers from nvidia, intel, amd, realtek..etc never from the mainboard OEMs website.

Thats essentially all you need to do. Shouldnt take more than a few hours (most of which is spent waiting for xp to install).
April 29, 2008 8:34:10 PM

Unplug your modem from its electrical source.
Unplug the RJ45 from your PC.
Wait a few minutes then power up your modem then plug RJ45 modem to PC.
Go to Start, select Run, type in "cmd" select "OK"
A DOS window will open called C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe.
At the flashing DOS prompt type "ipconfig" but not the exclaimation marks,
likewise for the above commands also.
Press ENTER on your keyboard. Your ip address etc. should display and
you will have another DOS prompt below it. Press the up arrow on the keyboard.
This adds the last DOS command which was ipconfig
Press the space bar one time and type /release
It should look like this ipconfig /release . There is a space before the /
Press enter. Everything should read all 0's
Press up arrow again ipconfig /release will return.
backspace enough to be able to change the word release to "renew"
Press ENTER and your IP Address should renew.
Can connect to the Net?
April 29, 2008 8:36:20 PM

sannask said:
--> "Check the firewall."
there /is/ no firewall right now. I've disabled the windows firewall and the Sygate one refuses to run.

Try running the software in compatibility mode for XP/2000.
April 29, 2008 8:45:34 PM

Are we sure that the second disk marked service pack 2 wasent just that,
Service Pack 2?
April 29, 2008 8:46:26 PM

edit:

^Agreed. lol I was typing up the same thing when you posted.

sannask said:

"What exactly did you buy"
my husband, being a phd student, went to the computer store on campus and got Microsoft Windows XP Professional, 2 CDs, one says "with Service Pack 2" and the other says "x64 Edition". The 'sp2' disk refused to install and gave me this error message: "Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged." however, using the x64 disk, Windows installed just fine. the sp2 disk does not have any visible scratches on it at all.

The SP2 disk I believe contains only the service pack.
April 29, 2008 8:48:34 PM

Maybe there was a little confusion and the service pack was trying to be installed first.
April 29, 2008 8:49:32 PM

"The modem may only allow one machine to have an IP at a time."

: oooo OH. see, i've learned something now today X D. ok, afk while i either try to resuscitate my router or else give up on that and just try the power-cycle-modem+new-comp thing. brb.
April 29, 2008 8:49:39 PM

I thought the SP2 install disk was only available to OEMs...?

In anycase, it would be painfully obvious if it was just service pack 2.
April 29, 2008 8:55:27 PM

OUCH! Was that SP2
April 29, 2008 9:04:49 PM

well... for one, they look totally different:

2) you wouldnt be able to boot from, have anything remotely like a XP install gui... and it most certainly would not offer to format your drive!

Im rather curious as to why they recieved both a 32bit and 64bit version...
April 29, 2008 9:29:38 PM

You can slipstream SP2 and 3 with any version of windows xp. although using nlite is kind of a "dirty" method of doing so
April 29, 2008 9:32:04 PM

oh boy, lots to reply to.

one! this post is from the new comp! the power-cycle-modem thing worked. my router... must be dead. the lights work, but no information gets through, i can't even get to 192.168.0.0 (1.1? i can never remember, but neither work). sooo i guess this is an excuse to buy a wireless router (like i really want to open that can of worms right now, but i figure i can shut the wireless part off until i want it, right? i wouldn't use wireless for my main form of internet connection, it's just for convenience, if a friend brings a laptop over or something.)

Shadow7037 93 : /Normally/ i wouldn't trust a best buy person as far as i could throw them (which isn't far, i'm a girl). but this guy has been a friend of ours for years, he was a comp sci major and has built many machines. i'll run that seatools thing anyway, at this stage it, too, with either say nothing's wrong, or else that the apocalypse is coming : x.

"Try running the software in compatibility mode for XP/2000."
>_> how do i do that?
and oh, speaking of, i found a CD that came with the video card. put it in the drive. it tried to install something... and goes, "i'm sorry, this is designed only to run with 2k/xp, and you're not running 2k or xp." *chokes a beeyotch* yes i am, you booger.

"Are we sure that the second disk marked service pack 2 wasent just that,
Service Pack 2? "
: ooooo technically, no, we're not. how odd, tho, that an sp2-only disk would /start/ formatting the hd and then throw up. or maybe that's normal, heck if i know : x. when i finish this post i'm going to put it in the drive and *gulp* see what it does. (i'm sort of expecting this box to burst into flames at any moment, at this rate : x. or phase out of reality.)

my disks don't look like the ones in the picture. i have a digital camera, i can take a picture, but i'll have to hook the net back to the other comp (or go get a new router first, but still). mine are kind of a... dusty rose / soft coppery color, says "Microsoft Licensing," and "Not for OEM or Retail Distribution."

"and it most certainly would not offer to format your drive!"
then i really have no idea what's on this second disk. gonna try it now. wish me luck? >_>
April 29, 2008 9:35:49 PM

sannask said:

Shadow7037 93 : /Normally/ i wouldn't trust a best buy person as far as i could throw them (which isn't far, i'm a girl). but this guy has been a friend of ours for years, he was a comp sci major and has built many machines. i'll run that seatools thing anyway, at this stage it, too, with either say nothing's wrong, or else that the apocalypse is coming : x.

Agreed. The thing is that the software that GeekSquad use is cr@p. Im sure your friend knows what he's doing. But, the fact still stands that GeekSquad's testing software is still cr@p.
April 29, 2008 9:37:47 PM

sannask said:

"Try running the software in compatibility mode for XP/2000."
>_> how do i do that?
and oh, speaking of, i found a CD that came with the video card. put it in the drive. it tried to install something... and goes, "i'm sorry, this is designed only to run with 2k/xp, and you're not running 2k or xp." *chokes a beeyotch* yes i am, you booger.

To set the compatibility properties for a program manually:

1.Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for your program to XP or 2000.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport...
April 29, 2008 9:43:37 PM

For your Video Card I'm thinking that you have to go in to BIOS and enable crossfire to recgonize the 9600GT.
Could this be the issue?
Read that section in your Manual. I remember something like that with the 780G board. There I go again...trying to use my memory.
Sorry if I am wrong.
Nope, scratch that. AMD and Nvidia. no crossfire there.
April 29, 2008 9:44:13 PM

Oh...one more thing that you can try and see is to run Linux (Ubantu, Suse, Fedora,etc). If Linux is able to run via Live CD properly it is most likely a software driver issue (bad HDD still possible).
April 29, 2008 9:50:05 PM

the other cd brought up a window about installing additional 'stuff' on my machine (like remote desktop). i went to the MS website and now it is... in theory... patching in SP2. i say in theory because the download bar hasn't moved even a pixel in the last five minutes. : o.

and to answer a question from a while back, i think i was doing a full format and not a quick one, when i was first trying to install and it was giving me the corrupted-harddrive message. i figured a full install would be better? guess not? : x

changed the compatability for the Sygate firewall, still doesn't open. after (or if) sp2 installs, i'll restart the machine and see if that helps anything.

i really appreciate everyone's help. i've learned quite a bit so far (esp the modem-router thing, i wonder why sitting in a box in a closet for two years kills a router : x), and i'm glad at least /one/ things working on this crazy beast.

... *pokes the sp2 install* : o, : x.
*pokes the video card* and what's wrong with you, buttmunch?
do i need any of these drivers from the gigabyte website? why am i getting video card drivers from a motherboard website? i'm confused about that. not like i'm any less confused about the rest of the vid card problems.

oh! well /now/ the sp2 wants to dl/install. ok then. afk while it does its thing.
April 29, 2008 9:53:11 PM

I recommend you wait until SP2 is installed before doing any thing else at this point. This is starting to look more like a software issue.
April 29, 2008 9:54:00 PM

You have ATI/AMD drivers installed for your onboard graphics and Nvidia drivers installed for add on 9600GT.
Can the onboard graphics be disabled?
If you had purchaced an ATI card you could have crossfired.
April 29, 2008 9:59:08 PM

^Agreed. Try uninstalling ATI graphic drivers for the onboard graphics.
April 29, 2008 10:44:58 PM

sp2 and all other critical updates installed. was quicker than i expected.

yes, i have the basic video drivers installed for what i assume is the mobo's video (which is what i'm using right now). i tried once again to install the nvidia driver and it still tells me "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit." i'm like wait a minute, this is like me telling my hubby "yeah i'm not in the room right now."

"If you had purchaced an ATI card you could have crossfired."
i... don't think the mobo lets me crossfire? i thought that was when i had 2 addon vid cards and they worked together like one super-vid-card. but this mobo only has the one pcie2.0 16x slot... don't think i could have crossfired even if i'd gotten an ati card? : x.

so... i uninstall current graphics drivers for mobo video and /hope/ that the same nvidia driver i've been trying to use this whole time suddenly realizes that IT IS the driver for the installed hardware? or do i just disable it somehow? or do i just put the monitor on that graphics card and see what happens. i mean, i wouldn't expect any video to come out of the card, if the drivers aren't there.... y/n? (but as we've seen, just because i would expect something to happen in no way means that it will : o.)

where even do i look to disable mobo video? and if i do, what will i do for video if the card doesn't work? i mean, i suddenly won't be getting video from the mobo, and then the card doesn't work either... what then? : xxxxx
April 29, 2008 10:52:00 PM

You can disable the onboard video in the BIOS
April 29, 2008 11:12:58 PM

There is a write up on your Motherboard here at Tom's Hardware.
Go to the main page an do a search.
Yes, you are able to crossfire your board with another ATI card.
Use the on-board video paired with an add-on video card.
Also I was told that up to 1GB of memory can be allocated to video. (on board only)
More memory is in your future.
Your video card will basicly work with windows and no driver but only good enough
for you to get the right driver installed.
After you get the Onboard disabled, uninstall all the video drivers that you have
installed. Reboot
Go to Nvidia and download the proper driver for your card. Reboot

April 29, 2008 11:30:31 PM

ooh i see. wow, much more to this site than just the forums.
my initial search was met with fail, but hubby's home and we need to get a router now and do other stuff, so i'll poke the search again when i get back, make it give me results this time. thanks tons!

wow... i would never have gotten this far by myself. wow. thanks so much. bbiab ^_^
April 30, 2008 4:26:34 AM

OH. >_> i was trying to search for "GIGABYTE GA MA78GM S2H 780G". wow, looks like i managed to get a really good motherboard. i kind of wish i hadn't let my friend talk me into an nvidia card. i wonder if it's too late to rma it back to newegg......

because the more i think about this, the more i'm beginning to suspect that something is faulty in the video card. i mean, shouldn't i see it's mere presence in the device manager? when i try to install the driver, why am i getting the message, "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware." shouldn't it be seeing the existence of the other card?

ok... i'll try to uninstall the mobo-video driver, and go into bios and see if /anything/ useful can be found there... but i'm really beginning to think maybe the card itself is at fault. alternately, could the slot in the mobo be bad?

two weeks ago, i thought i knew enough to do this myself. the only reason i'm not wishing i'd just gone and bought a pre-built machine is because i know they're /worse/. but either i really really suck at this, or else some piece of hardware here is bad. maybe both. >_> but unless the vid card just miraculously decides to work... i shall sleep and tackle this again tomorrow.

(but: new router! both comps now perfectly on the internet. whew. one massive insane hurdle that shouldn't have been that difficult, down. also, more than one lesson learned in the process.)
April 30, 2008 11:03:07 AM

^You are trying to install the wrong drivers. I will give yo the version that I run on my XP x64 when I get home.
April 30, 2008 7:45:47 PM

I have 162.18 on my XP x64 builds.
April 30, 2008 7:48:48 PM

Also, make sure you are downloading 64-bit drivers when you are downloading. You didn't mention either way which ones you were downloading, though I assumed x64.

As for Sygate, you might have to find a version that is 64-bit compatible. When a program spits out an error like "You must be running 2K or XP", it means that program's installer doesn't recognize your XP-64 as Windows XP. Running in compatibility mode as mentioned earlier should work.
May 1, 2008 3:39:02 PM

I apologize for my silence on wednesday. since tuesday was a day full of "dear God what's wrong with this computer, " wed was the day where i did everything I didn't do tues.

Without... excessively pointing fingers, I /will/ say that, in my defense, I /did/ ask my friend who assembled the computer if the video card needed to be powered from the psu or if it picked up power from the slot it was in. So this morning I took the card out and noticed there was no power. To sum, the drivers that were previously not detecting any hardware installed just perfectly.

*makes a face remarkably close to this: > : E !! frowny fangs!)

now i need to figure out how to uninstall my current mobo-video drivers. add/remove programs? the program itself is being marvelously unhelpful.

then, all i need is /any/ sufficient firewall program, doesn't have to be sygate (that still won't work no matter what i do to compatibility, the bugger), and.... i think i'm actually ... good to go. *gasp* for reals? i really hope that not every computer is as insanely frustrating as this one has been to assemble and get running.

I'll start googling for firewall progs...

Thank you all so /very/ much for all your help. I know I must have driven a few of you crazy with my insanely noobish mistakes, and I'm really sorry. But getting this computer running really would not have happened without you guys (or if it had, it would have taken many more days of hair-ripping frustration). I wish there were something more I could do other than say "thank you" a million times and disappear into the internet : x. but thank you, thank you, thank you all so much. I hope everyone has a really wonderful day ^_______^

-- Sanna
+100 Computer Exp

(Sanna's friend: -50 Sanna Reputation : [[[ )

(and run the seatools dos harddrive scanner thing. i will do that. i just haven't yet.)
!