File or Directory is Corrupted and unreadable?!?

ha_jai

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Greetings and salutations,

I hope someone can shed some light on this issue for me. I recently reinstalled Windows XP Home w/SP2 on a system and everything worked well. I also installed a Seagate 500 GB HDD as a slave drive. I had no problems assigning a drive letter (D:\) and mapping it as a network drive. Then yesterday, a Windows error message popped up saying there was "Delayed Write Failure" or something similar. It was at that point the the slave drive became inaccessible. I can still see the drive in My Computer but that is all. I went into disk management and click on properties, it says the file system is "RAW". I have no idea what that means. The drive is still assigning a drive letter (d:\) and it says is it is healthy (active). However, when I try exploring the drive it says "D:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"." I then tried using CHKDSK to check the drive for errors in the DOS prompt. But again, nothing happened. I used Seagate Diagnostic tools to scan the drive for errors. There is nothing physically wrong with the drive as it passed all the tests except for the file structure test. It failed that test. My friend mentioned it might be due to cross linked files or a file system error. But aside from CHKDSK, he doesn't know how to fix it.

The slave drive is a Seagate ST3500630A ATA drive (used as slave drive exclusively for storing files for over 1 year now with no problems).
Windows XP Home with SP2.

I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on what I should do next? I am at the end of my rope, and tried everything I know of. Is my data gone for good? I have some files backed up but not everything. Without being able to access the drive, I can't remember the contents.

I sincerely thank you in advance for reading my post and any suggestions you may have.

ha_jai

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
I could always format it, but wouldn't I lose the existing data? I have data on that drive that I still want to keep. Does a slave drive have MBR? If it does, can I fix the MBR without losing the existing data? Would Windows still have access to that data?