Desktop icons config issue

snnr1984

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Hi all,

Wonder if you can help. I have a work notebook (D610) which is configured for dual screen at work. I placed items on the extended area (screen 2) and when I fire up the machine @ home using just the notebook on its own all the items I have placed on the secondary monitor are gone.

The only way I seem to be able to recorver the items is to plug in my monitor at home and drag the items back to the primary display which is an annoyance!

I wonder if there is a registry entry I can edit or something which will bring everything back to the primary adapter when no second VDU is connected.

kryzzay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
That really shouldn't happen. Windows should automatically detect the second monitor isn't there and default your laptop as the primary display hence all your icons should be on it. Have you tried checking/unchecking the "This is my main monitor" & "Extend the desktop onto this monitor" ???

I run a dual monitor setup and flick between primary & secondary all the time due to DVT compatibility issues with moving the picture from one screen to the other. Everytime I do the icons all switch across and mix themselves up (very annoying)

snnr1984

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Initially I tried checking/unchecking the this is my main monitor box but it makes no difference. It seems that I must plug in a second monitor in order for the icons i have placed on the second adapter to be recovered.

Its really bugging me and I dont want to have to drag everything back to my primary screen before leaving the office so that I can have a trouble free computing session at home!!

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
on mine I can right click the icon in the task bar and it says move. Click that and your mouse goes directly to the title bar of that window. Left click(hold) and pull the window back to the main screen.