Dnt know how to install ubuntu 10.10 on 64 bits os

sameya_ahmad

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
unable to install ubuntu on my system ...i have windows 7 fr 64 bits as os on the system. it isnt booting from the cd to install.

I'd agree with Pyroflea on this. From what i'd observed when i used wubi, It installs within windows. Making it more like a program running though windows than being it's own os. Also you dont have the option to partition stuff (like needing swap space.) So your just have just only your ram and thats it. :??:

@sameya_ahmad. As other people have said, You'll need to select your CD rom drive in the bios as the first device to look (or if you have a temporary boot option, you can select your CD rom drive there) . If your still having trouble, there is another option (which is what i did to install ubuntu 10.10).

You can put the CD installer on a flash drive (needs to be 1GB or larger) and you'll need a program that can put the installer on the flash drive and make it bootable. (my favorite http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/)

Although you'll still need to select it in bios to boot up. hope these helped.

bugmenot1983

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I've heard way too many horror stories about wubi, but not as many from Unetbootin. Also for booting to the CD, make sure it's in the cd drive and when the system boots up hit escape (or whatever key is listed on the boot splash) for the boot menu and select it from there. That's how I load from a usb since it's not inside the bios to select from.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

That's strange; do you have an older PC?

In my personal experience (with a 3+ year old rig), bootable USB's show up in BIOS consistently. Just curious as to why yours isn't :)

+1

Excellent question. I've seen this same issue with older computers that were made around in 2005 (got 2 laptops and 1 dead desktop that cant boot off a flash drive). Anything newer than that (2006 to now) most of the time computers can run off a flash drive.

Just what i've seen. [:huntluck]