XP Pro losing EXE files

SanDiegoPaul

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
This machine is 90 days old and has learned a new trick: Executables come up missing in folders. I'll click on an icon only to have Windows XP tell me that the program is not there adn gives me the option to search for it.

When I look in the folder, all the programs' DLL files and associated things are there. ON a couple of them I have just copied the EXE from the install disk, into the folder and the programs ran with no loss of my settings or anything.

Virus scanners find nothing, and Lavasoft Adaware finds no critical issues either. HELP! Two more programs have been disabled tonight :fou: and though I'm sure I can get them running again by copying their EXE's from their disks, I still need to find the problem.

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
1- DR WEB CURE IT
http://freedrweb.com/cureit/

(as good as kaspersky and nod and avg, quick run scan nothign to install)

2-Spyware Doctor - has far detected all the spyware and rootkits and trojans that even these antivirues fail to catch, free version avaliable, it wont cure your infections but you will know if somethings wrong
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/
has detected things not caught by spybot S&D! or hijackthis!

3-probably you have a low profile local virus made in your city, so basic yet enough diferent for usual av to detect, probably from usb key, if you need further assistance i could help you trough a logmeinRescue session, drop me a line and we can set up remote counceling

(i take care of a lan center with 100 pcs, everyday virus and psyware free Oo)

3-

SanDiegoPaul

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Thanks. I will do that and report back. I maybe could have elaborated on myself; I'm not a newbie- I have been fixing machines since the dark days of Windows 3.x and work full time in the field too.

This particular virus has not attacked any Windows components (yet?) but rather, my hobby. I am an astronomer by night and a computer repair person by day. And so far all of my astro programs, one by one, have had be reinstalled or are dead links on my desktop right now.

Thanks for your help although I question Spyware Doc. I actually UNINSTALL it on all the computers I see it on, in favor of Lavasoft Adaware.

Adaware seems to be one of the worst, in my opinion... it misses a LOT. I like AVG's new antivirus with spyware... you can download the trial and it seems to pick up a lot of things the others miss.