Sign in with
Your question

screen frozen on windows xp pro log on

Last response: in Windows XP
May 3, 2008 6:35:15 PM

I have a hp pavillion dv4000 i bought 2 1/2 years ago and I ran a program the other day called window washer by webroot (spysweeper program) I checked boxes to clean everything and checked a box saying i wanted it cleaned i think 24 times which is what they claim the fbi uses a Guttman style cleaner. I let it run over night and the next day I got an error message

System could not log you on. Make sure your Username and Domain are correct then type password again.

I tried everything including putting the recovery cd in the hp and then i put the xp disk and it went through a period where it looked like it was reinstalling and repairing it then it got all the way to the end

and the screen popped up again. The mouse in frozen in the middle of the screen (the arrow)and the blinky straight line where you would type isn't moving even if i had a username and password to type :cry:  I obviously don't normally handle these things but I am forced to this minute and i could REALLY use some help. Thanks in advance--Amber
May 3, 2008 6:45:43 PM

Can you get into safe mode?

Hold F8 when the windows loading screen pops up.

You have either corrupted your registry or still have a virus. If you can get into safe mode, you can fix either. Have you heard of hijack this for registry fixes?
May 3, 2008 7:14:29 PM

ubcd4win will get you in, and then you'll have to figure out whats wrong, I had a similar problem, and replacing the registry files with a previous version got me back in again. There was no 'cause' for mine though so it could be a completely different fault for you.
Related resources
May 3, 2008 7:44:45 PM

reinstall
May 3, 2008 10:51:15 PM

Thanks everyone. I was just able to put it in safe mode but then the same problem happened in safe mode . I still have the log on screen that I cannot type anything in if i wanted to. I am new to these forums so forgive me if I am a little slow. I am on my computer all the time though to read the answers, I am on another computer i have. Thanks again. I also appreciated the answer with the ubcd4win however i do not know anything about repairing these things and could use some help knowing what that means i should do. I also tried to reinstall again with the same result.

Thanks again and I will await any other ideas. --amber
May 3, 2008 11:41:13 PM

Amber1008 said:
Thanks everyone. I was just able to put it in safe mode but then the same problem happened in safe mode . I still have the log on screen that I cannot type anything in if i wanted to. I am new to these forums so forgive me if I am a little slow. I am on my computer all the time though to read the answers, I am on another computer i have. Thanks again. I also appreciated the answer with the ubcd4win however i do not know anything about repairing these things and could use some help knowing what that means i should do. I also tried to reinstall again with the same result.

Thanks again and I will await any other ideas. --amber

backup your data and do a recover (check hp's website for details)
May 4, 2008 5:45:21 PM

k thanks im going to try that right now. I will see how i back up my data and recover from website.
May 4, 2008 6:20:08 PM

It's not looking too good. So far I have tried almost all the options it gives you to try in safe mode and still after i push enter the windows xp log on screen comes up frozen with the blinking line to write in the username and password but the keyboard dosn't let me type it in. The arrow cursor also freezes and this is as far as im getting. It is not letting me get past my problem of when it gets to log on window it freezes and i can't get past it. I think I might have to phone a collegue? I really need to learn as much as I can of trying to fix what i can on my own. I would appreciate any more suggestions even if it's that i have to have my collegue fix it. thanks again--amber
May 5, 2008 12:26:33 AM

Amber1008 said:
It's not looking too good. So far I have tried almost all the options it gives you to try in safe mode and still after i push enter the windows xp log on screen comes up frozen with the blinking line to write in the username and password but the keyboard dosn't let me type it in. The arrow cursor also freezes and this is as far as im getting. It is not letting me get past my problem of when it gets to log on window it freezes and i can't get past it. I think I might have to phone a collegue? I really need to learn as much as I can of trying to fix what i can on my own. I would appreciate any more suggestions even if it's that i have to have my collegue fix it. thanks again--amber

ok repeat after me "I WILL GO TO THE WEBSITE AND LOOK FOR HOW TO RECOVER THE SYSTEM"

you need a tech to find and fix the faults for you, not spend 3 months scratching your head wondering - this is the way you loose data and up time trying to avoid the repair cost - works out more in the end for most people.
!