Vista dual boot reinstall.

winrot

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Hello, I have gotten myself into a jam and I could really use some smart person help.

I recently installed vista in a dual boot configuration. I already had xp installed and just dropped in the vista DVD and installed it onto an old HDD that I had. So, XP is on a SATA HDD and vista is on an IDE HDD. After some consideration, I am wishing I put Vista on a SATA HDD as well (runs quieter / faster). So my problem now is, how do i reinstall vista onto a new Hard drive (i already have a SATA drive ready) with out messing up the setup? Is it as simple as unplugging the current vista HDD, booting up in windows XP and reinstalling vista as I did before? (and this time picking my sata drive?) . I guess my main questions are as follows:

1. Will the Boot process be ruined by just reinstalling vista to a new HDD? (will vista think there are now three OSs on the computer?

2. I have no clue on if Vista has already sent my HDD info to msft by now and if I will run into problems with trying to install the software on a new HDD. Will the new HDD trigger some type of authentication problem where msft doesn't let me install on a new HDD? (I have had some nasty experiences with WGA before and it fills me with so much rage . . .)

3. How should I partition the new vista HDD (250 gigs)?
- 60 Gigs OS
- 20 Gigs for a backup section --> I dont know what this is or how it works but i have seen something about it in the forums. Does vista back up the OS to a second partion or is that 3rd prty software? Whats the best way to go at the backup / restore of vista (Sorry, vista noobie)
- 170 Gigs for Games and Apps? -- if I install the games into this folder, will they still work if I do a restore of vista at some point? (as in from the 20 gig ghost image space)

Thanks folks. all your help is greatly appreciated. Seriously, Greatly greatly appreciated.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I think microsoft only looks at the mobo and socket. I think you can have 2 or 3 installs of the same OS on the same MOBO socket. But I don't really understand the reason for such a set up. For back up files and appliacations why would you need differnt partitions on the same hard drive? My dual boot I have an MBR set up independitly of each other incase one goes bad I can still boot into the other one.

winrot

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I am not sure on the setup either. So looking for good opinions.

So if I understand right. I should unplug both the xp and the vista bootup, reinstall new on the new HD and then manage the boot up via the bios? sounds like a good idea.

I'll give it a try but will continue to check this for a few days to see if there are other opinions. Thank you.