MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I need to build a PC for work-but ~$130 is too much for Windows XP! I'm looking at the OEM for $80 and it's really tempting-but what does OEM entail? Is there anything wrong with buying it for the computer?

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
With OEM you don't get tech support from MS. Also you cannot transfer an OEM license to another computer. It's commited to the box you first load it on. You don't get the fancy packaging, that's about it.

Out of curiousity how important is windows? You can get ubuntu or kubuntu for free. It runs flawlessly if your hardware is a couple years old or older.

memoryguy

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I think the OEM XP just targets your motherboard. By the definition of non-transferable, you cannot install the same copy of the OEM XP from one mobo to another.

G

Unless the original motherboard dies (wink, wink) and then you can replace it.

Grumpy

Yes, wink... as in you lie your ass off to MS. Should the new stuff result in Windows not activating, you simply tell MS (if they ask) that your motherboard died and you had to replace it. If it's a different board and for some reason they interrogate you further (likely they won't) then you tell them the other board wasn't available and you had no other choices.

I changed every single bit of hardware in my comp and had no problem activating. Of course, this was a fresh install of Windows, not an attempt to keep the same copy running.

memoryguy

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I thought Microsoft had established a policy where if your motherboard had died, your OEM XP goes along with it and you had to buy another copy.

I thought that was the gamble of buying OEM and the copy was strictly tied to the mobo? Sure, you can change everything else (hardrive, graphics card, cpu, etc.), but not the mobo.

And there was talk of what if the mobo fails and people were left high and dry, and there was the mention of buying the replacement of the same exact motherboard as the solution.

That's the official MS line... but trust me, I have done it before. I replaced every single piece of hardware (well, I built a new PC to be exact) and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro using the OEM product key I used with my old computer. The installation and activation went flawlessly.

Of course, I since have purchased the Vista Ultimate retail upgrade... so I no longer use XP.

G

No, the MS EULA states that if the motherboard dies, it can be replaced.

Grumpy

knudsen

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
If the MoBo is replaced, you might just have to call MS and tell them to get a new key. Some folks, usually those that wink a lot (evil grin) would replace the MoBo and a whole lot more, but not disclose what else they have replaced. Lies? Not technically. Honest? Hell no! LOL

Linux is easy to install. Before xp, it was easier than windows. Sure, there is learning curve, but it comes with 1000's of apps pre-installed, including The GIMP, a Photoshop clone. Everything is different in Linux, so it is for the open minded. If you are a heard follower, forget it; if you have fun learning, you have nothing to loose but a blank DVD (assuming you can download an iso image). Also note, there are not many "gamer" type games. There are some simple amusements like xp comes with called games, but is not really a gaming OS.

Also;
If you buy a computer from Dell - they are the OEM and you get XP support from them.
If you build a computer yourself - you are the OEM and you provide your own XP support.

You loose the Retail version's ability to get free tech support by E-mail, Chat or Phone for XP (for a limited period and a limited amount of times)
MS WinXP support options by email, chat or phone

With OEM you can still use the free support resources on the MS website MS XP Help and Support
or you can use the pay for support services (email, chat or phone also @ $59 per incident)

As far as I know the only time MS has enforced the OEM license for MB failures was when the license key for the copy of XP was known to be a counterfeit or pirated license key.
And I've also heard that if you bought the computer from a retailer MS will work with you to get a good license in return for the information you can provide MS on the retailer using bogus copies of MS software.

knudsen

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Oh, ya, I work under the "no tech support" agreement, although not under OEM law, and we and anyone do get free tech support for some things like updates not working. I'm not sure what else, because I've never tried for or desired any other support directly from Mr. Gates.

Linux is easy to install... that was never an issue. However, doing something that should be simple (like installing a vid card driver) can be quite an ordeal. Trying to emulate Windows software on Linux through Wine or Cedega could also potentially be a huge pain in the a55.

I have tried Linux on more than one occasion... so you're not preaching to one of the "heard" (actually it's herd, but I digress) here. It doesn't require more "open-mindedness" it requires more technical knowledge. I'd love to take the time to learn how to use it thoroughly, but it's time I simply don't have. Windows does what I want when I want and I don't need an online guide to step me through installing the latest video driver. Linux is great for those that know it or have time to learn.