Is it possible to have "various" wireless connections?

Santz24

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Hello.

I was wondering if it would be possible, through windows or some third party app, to have set up two different wireless connections on one same computer.

The reason for this is that on my laptop, at home i have to manually adjust the TCP/IP settings in order to acess the internet, while in my office the TCP/IP settings are given automatically.

Im sick and tired of having to go to connections/wireless/properties/TCP-IP settings and change everything everytime I get home or go to work.

Wouldn't it be nice if i could have two connections, one for office and one for work, and enable/disable them depending on where i am?
Or if not, maybe an application that at the click of a button changes my TCP-IP settings to one configuration or another.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time :) :)

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Well for starters you shouldn't have to do this. At home you should have a dhcp server either on your router or another computer assigning your computer an ip.

If you decide to ignore that and continue on with this insanity I would suggest you buy a usb wireless card and configure that for your home network. Then leave the other one set up for work. If you have an older notebook you could use a PCMIA card since they're phasing them out they'll be dirt cheap.

Santz24

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Well, yes, i guess that would be an option but i dont have that much money to spend right now. I was looking for a software-based solution that simply changed the settings for me from a list of presets i had already entered. Isn't there maybe a simple .bat file i could write myself or something?

I cant exactly explain why i need to configure my home settings manually. Something about me having three different routers (two of them acting as access points) and therefore when i connect to a Wi-Fi access point (that's actually a router) the dhcp server assigns me the incorrect default getaway to access the internet (it assigns me the getaway for that router, not the one that's actually connected to the internet) and i can connect to the wi-fi but not browse the web.

At work, the explanation is more simple, i need to enter a manual configuration to skip the servers, the proxies and hence the web-filter.

Ancalagon_uk

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
thats probably the only reasonable scenario I can think of for manually setting tcp/ip settings!

lots of people who play lan games seem to think that you need to specify addresses in the 10.10 range for it to work, which simply isnt true at all.

anyway, back on topic, I dont know of any such utility, but maybe brw02005's suggestion is the best: use 2 separate physical devices.

I havent heard of a utility that allows you to store profiles, but I should think its possible.

I dont think you could set up 2 connections with the same adapter, and then enable one and disable the other, because the adapter needs things like its own ip address - this info is stored on a device by device basis, and not on a connection by connection basis. Granted when you use wireless zero conf or a dhcp server, your ip address is set for you, but it is really the address of the physical device as mapped to the network.

Santz24

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Hmmm looking for that avanquest app i found another one, for free, called BVRP Connection Manager Lite...apparently does the job too, has some customizable profiles i can set TCP/IP settings in. Im on holiday now but ill get back to you when i go to work and try it out! Thanks to everyone for your help