7600GT...problems?

blazing247

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
So in a few weeks I'll be building myself a new rig, and bought Oblivion so that I can put it to the test once it's done. However, I'm trying to run Oblivion in my current computer with no such luck.

P4 2.8, ASUS P4C800Edeluxe, 1gb RAM, and Leadtek 7600GT AGP 256 card. I can run BF2, WoW, Doom3, and several other games nearly maxed out with little to no problems. However, Oblivion...good old Oblivion...will not run at more than 2-3 FPS (slideshow) even with settings on ultra low (640x480, all settings to low). I have the most current drivers, and I even tried downloading some modded drivers to no avail. I made sure it wasn't a sound card acceleration problem, and it's def. not an overheating issue (fan doesn't even spin most of the time due to good case and zalman).

Any ideas? I'm stuck with this ancient beast for another 2-3 weeks, I need to make this game run. Thanks ahead of time.

blazing247

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
Like I said, I'm upgrading in a few weeks (e6600 w/8800GTS), but this game SHOULD be playable on my system spec's. I know people who have similar systems that get much better framerate. And the fact that I get sub-5 framerate at 640x480 leads me to believe something is off.

Actually before you start selling stuff and replacing before it's time or dumping the game, check out the Elder Scrolls forums for similar initial issues.

I can run it on my Pentium M 1.73ghz with a mobility X700 at medium quality with some of the sliders at about 25% and feature like view distance up at 800x600 noAA and 4xAFHQ with good solid 20-30fps most of the time (I usually increas the res and OC my VPU/VRAM a bit when actually playing though so I get a little better results).

You should not be having that level of problem you're experiencing with the gear you have.

I agree a better card is the answer eventually, but you should be able to play at even medium settings at above 640x480 with playable framrates.

It sounds like a bug somewhere, but for this I recommend going to the elderscrolls forums' hardware section, and describe the issue, likely someone has had a similar issue, and the people who are there often (like Nottheking) may be able to help. I haven't been ther ein a while so not current on the current batch of bugs/issues with which setups.