Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

AMD ruin ati? HD 2900xt flop? Can AMD be saved from itself!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
  • World Of Warcraft
  • AMD
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
May 16, 2007 5:49:44 AM

Wow the x2900xt is far poorer then i expected - i am so disappointed after waiting so long. The r600 cards should ship with water cooling nozzles built into the existing air cooling systems seeing as you can cook eggs plus bacon on this "not so bad boy"! AMD might copy the ocz flex ram for their gpu coolers.

As a true ATI fan, I have finally given up. Why should anyone buy a x2900xt when you can get a much cooler GTS? Maybe I just got a bad card?

Will amd's x4 be just as poor - with all the hype that amd boosts of their "true quad core" is worth the wait and how "amd did it right"?

Google amd's prediction in June of 2006 of 30%+ market share next month?

I got ask can amd save itself? This R600 is a prelude or a predictor of amd's all talk and no show technology.

Well the stock is at $15.5 or so i would expected it will tank when the gpu sales tank. It might be a great shorting opportunity next revenue release.
:twisted: :evil: 

More about : amd ruin ati 2900xt flop amd saved

May 16, 2007 6:06:24 AM

Yeah, ATM the 8800gts is a better deal, but as the prices stabilize and the drivers mature, the 2900xt will start looking ALOT better.
May 16, 2007 6:40:28 AM

card is a flop
1) it does not perform as expected -
2) after a 6 month delay its still way too hot, performance should be better
3) the really cool audio features are really limited and will not help sales much.

ok - its not a flop sts more like a dud?

plus amd claimed they delayed for a total product line launch - what to they do? launch one card and the rest next month - if u believe amd. at this point if might 2-3 months

stock should hist its 50% retracement price of $20 - Fidelity is not dumb
maybe they (Fidelity read your thread a month or 2 ago when i told you the stocked had bottomed) - just a lucky guess on my part not doubt.
expect the stock to peak in the mid low to mid 20"s on exceptional news.
Related resources
May 16, 2007 6:44:05 AM

Are you saying that you have a 2900?
Quote:
As a true ATI fan, I have finally given up. Why should anyone buy a x2600xt when you can get a much cooler GTS? Maybe I just got a bad card?
Or is this a typo? or pure speculation about the wrong card to begin with?
May 16, 2007 7:01:56 AM

A question of semantics, I guess... But what do you call a card that is released almost a whole generation late, has piss-poor drivers, and is not even competitive with Nvidia's lower range cards let alone the higher range? In most of the benches that I have looked at it barely beats out the 320 gts most of the time, squeaks past the 640 gts some of the time and never pips the gtx. Then there's the gtx ultra's, and various overclocked versions of both the gts and gtx flavours... It comes out priced almost twice the 320 gts... Not to mention the power requirements!

I have to call that a flop, and AMD's vaunted delay so that they could launch a full range of product is now a paper launch.

AMD has really disappointed me, at least. Now my bx2 will have to settle for one evga ko card.
May 16, 2007 7:03:34 AM

I agree with the original poster, the card is a flop.

As a customer I expect each generation of card to perform significantly better than the last and that includes the competitiors cards.

With ATI's latest card we have a card that can only compete with the middle range 8800. WTH would anyone want to buy that over Nvidia's choice?

@Verndewd, who cares about the trick architecture, thats like saying my cars got a better ecu than yours. It counts for squat if my car performs 100mph faster than yours.

Fact is ATI have produced a card that doesn't compete with Nvidia's 8800 GTX and doesn't take graphics performance (in fps) any further forwards than it is now. Its also far more complex, has allegedly had problems, has allegedly been pushed to extremes and allegedly heats like a bunsen burner and so with all of this is an unknown quantity as for reliability as well.

Add in the fact that even when the XTX version comes out which should hopefully for ATI beat the GTX and Ultra, Nvidia allegedly still have the next generation ready, the 8900's on a new smaller fab process.
May 16, 2007 7:27:58 AM

Quote:
I am going on a gut hunch, I think the past speaks through people more than the present. Too mant people think of how many delays it took to get here.

There's a famous saying, your only as good your last performance and its very true.

We've already seen that with CPU's. AMD couldn't surpass Intel for a long time and lost a lot of business as a result. No reason to suppose GPU's are any different. The majority of buyers are fickle and will go with whats best, especially when those who are loyal have had their loyalty dragged out and tested for so long with delayed releases only to get a product that doesn't beat the competitors product.

Quote:

My gut says the card is cool

Unfortunately reviews says its hot and noisy http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/431/13/ and therein lies another problem. You talk about crossfire, well be my guest. Unfortunately two flame throwers in your case running at 90C are definately not better than one, (from a heating point of view), unless of course you live in the arctic. But even then the global warming effect could be a problem with that extra wattage. :) 
May 16, 2007 7:49:57 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately reviews says its hot and noisy http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/431/13/ and therein lies another problem. You talk about crossfire, well be my guest. Unfortunately two flame throwers in your case running at 90C are definately not better than one, (from a heating point of view), unless of course you live in the arctic. But even then the global warming effect could be a problem with that extra wattage.
First of all TSMC did the chips. At 80nm they suck...alot of juice and output alot of heat. Secondly, other than when it was launched AMD had little to do with this card, and the 2900 series, thats ATI. I go with Vern, despite its obviuos heat/power concerns its good tech
May 16, 2007 8:00:12 AM

Quote:
according to these benches i expect to see price cuts on ati cards soon

I think prices have dropped substantially already . They have a 400 dollar card now so the old stuff will drop. The 1950 has gone down in price recently.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

169 with MIR for an xt :wink:Can't wait till the price drops hits us this side as well. I'll grab me an X1950 pro/xt depending on how far the prices drop...
May 16, 2007 8:03:18 AM

Maybe I had false expectations but I was expecting this job to be the 8800GTX killer.

I do not see how releasing a card that is already beaten by previous technology a worth while card. I have to define it as a flop because its competitor who has had a their cards in release for a few months already now, still beat the competition.

If thats a narrow view then so be it, but I do not see how this card could be viewed as successful other than ego-defense crazy Fanboys.

I am open to other opinions though, please convince me why this is not a bust.
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2007 8:15:51 AM

Trust me, he deserved it.
May 16, 2007 8:26:45 AM

It is known that ATI's best card goes XTX. Currentkly there isnt one. The XT however is the second, thus it goes against gts. There are a few technologies in this card that simply doesnt exist on the 88s. If it makes a difference, we will see. The sound chip, full HD conversion done on the card, not going to the cpu. These are improvements in the right direction. It does compete well with the gts, so we only know after the people have (with their wallets) spoken. Its not top tier tech, a XTX would be. I dont see one out. And there may never be one. Tho there is the 2950, which will be done on 65nm, and more than likely use GDDR4, if they can get some good ram this time thatll oc.
May 16, 2007 8:40:05 AM

Verns makin money just sittin there :D  :D 
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2007 8:47:56 AM

educated consumers like your and me may not look twice at it, but Dell and HP etc will buy em up and they will sell millions ;) 
May 16, 2007 9:14:46 AM

Silly me, I waited for the R600 too... (and waited... and waited...)

Am I dissappointed? Yes, I am.

Is the GTX faster than the XT? Yes, it is. (although I do find that comparison a bit strange and skewed... it IS a GTS competitor)

Is the XT a shit card? No.

I think nVidia has truely won this round at this point. Well done to them. They have done a good job, and I wish I had bought a GTS 320 six months ago.
But that doesn't make the XT a dud and obsolete.

If car A tops 250km/h, and car B tops 180km/h, does that make car B a useless peice of crap? What if car A is a just a simple 2 door chasis with a simple, albiet powerful, engine in it, while car B has loads of storage space, sun roof, big sound system, mags, power steering, etc etc.
Still shit? What's your comparison?
If you want to go fast, car A kicks ass. But if you like features, it's the crap one.

What do YOU want it for? How are you going to USE it? No point buying a Ferrari if you're a fridge delivery man.

I want a good framerate at high res. Therefore I want nVidia - it's got what I want.
I also want full HDMI capability, and some futureproofing. So now I want ATI.

What's your perspective? Just because something doesn't have what you want, it doesn't mean it's worthless. I don't want to drive at 200km/h. So is the Ferrari dud, obsolete, and should be taken away in shame?

[/i]

(Me personally, I don't like the GTX's lack of features, esp. HDMI, and high power consumption. I don't like the XT's slower fps, and [/i]incredibly high power consumption. I like the GTX's speed. I like the XT's innovation. Above all, and at least I think most of you agree, I LIKE THE COMPETITION SO WE CAN KEEP MOVING FORWARD!!)
May 16, 2007 10:26:33 AM

Quote:
Trust me, he deserved it.

That's how I feel; these sensationalist "AMD is t3h DOOMED!" threads are getting really old and tiring.

I would've thought RobSLI or whatever he's called himself in his 500th reincarnation would've created this "anti ATi" thread :wink:

P.S. Yes, I do know about the thread he created recently...and the fun that him and Ape are having :lol: 
May 16, 2007 1:20:41 PM

Quote:
HD 2900xt.

Also, more disturbing is Henri Richard's insistence at the Q1 quarterly conference call that they do not do soft launches, yet all the mid-range/lower end (cheaper) cards have been pushed to late June..... we were told by AMD, specifically, that they pushed out the launch from Feb to April to May because they wanted to hard launch a lineup of cards from top to bottom, yet no 2400 no 2600 to be found.

It is getting a bit old to consistently be getting the run around.

Luckily you didn't post this in the GPU forum... I posted that with article quotes and links... yet the "veteran" posters flamed me bad. Luckily folks over here in the CPU thread seem to be a little more civil. I've learned a ton from reading your threads Jack... thanks!

Yeah, it's clear that the delays were not some brillant marketing plan to have a full family launch of products with solid drivers (as was claimed by Henri).

Seems like the R600 may be competitive cards, but I doubt they'll win over any existing Nvidia customers. The only way they get back market share is via Dell/OEMs @ drastically reduced margins.

Does anybody remember the Inq article stating that Dell was going to buy up every single r600 card "they could get their hands on" and the one about r600 selling 100,000,000 cards by the end of 2007.... 8O
May 16, 2007 1:28:50 PM

Quote:
This card would be a good deal at the 320 gts price. :wink:

Now I wonder where I heard that before??
May 16, 2007 1:53:52 PM

The problem with the 2600xt is not that it's a terrible card, it's that it's AMD's typical business plan - mid range or low end (P4 days were a sharp contrast to AMD's typical business). This thing is not competing with the 8800 GTX (obviously), but it's not priced that way anyway. For the cost, it's a reasonable purchase.

I don't know what impact not having the performance lead will have. Most people buying discrete cards probably aren't buying the absolute upper end, but there is some emotional response to buying the "best card" from one manufacturer vs the "second best card" from the other (a position of strength vs struggling to survive).

What AMD gains from this is that they have a product now. During the 8800 only days, there's no choice - you buy Nvidia (it's a no brainer...you want to game? C2D with 8800...done). At this point, you might take a peek at AMD. You may still choose Nvidia (I probably would), but now it's choice rather than requirement.
May 16, 2007 2:07:46 PM

Quote:
(Me personally, I don't like the GTX's lack of features, esp. HDMI, and high power consumption. I don't like the XT's slower fps, and incredibly high power consumption. I like the GTX's speed. I like the XT's innovation. Above all, and at least I think most of you agree, I LIKE THE COMPETITION SO WE CAN KEEP MOVING FORWARD!!)
[/i]What features is it lacking? None of the current HD 2900XTs have integrated HDMI. While I agree that it'll be nice once ATI's board partners start offering HDMI on the cards, at the moment not a single one does.
May 16, 2007 2:11:59 PM

Quote:
poor kid
that wasnt cool

I agree there, I wonder why kids "feel cool" by laughing at someone getting hurt?
I remember that video that appeared in CNN of a blackman kicking and punching the hell of an elderyman
and people said "its fun!"...
yeah....very.... now imagine that old man was your grandfather... now think again?

Quote:
(Me personally, I don't like the GTX's lack of features, esp. HDMI, and high power consumption. I don't like the XT's slower fps, and incredibly high power consumption. I like the GTX's speed. I like the XT's innovation. Above all, and at least I think most of you agree, I LIKE THE COMPETITION SO WE CAN KEEP MOVING FORWARD!!)
[/i]What features is it lacking? None of the current HD 2900XTs have integrated HDMI. While I agree that it'll be nice once ATI's board partners start offering HDMI on the cards, at the moment not a single one does.

wait a minute, how do you know they dont have HDMI?
or you're confusing it?

all 2900XT descriptions says the connectors are hdmi calpable
and includes the adapter for in-HDMI for the sound one ( the lower one is calpable of sound if I remember the reference page of sapphire correctly..)
May 16, 2007 2:14:11 PM

Although r600 might not be the fastest, it still boasts some really good features exclusive to it. When choosing between a G80 or r600, be sure what you want, performance or functionality?
May 16, 2007 2:20:49 PM

Quote:
Wow the x2600xt is far poorer then i expected - i am so disappointed after waiting so long. The r600 cards should ship with water cooling nozzles built into the existing air cooling systems seeing as you can cook eggs plus bacon on this "not so bad boy"! AMD might copy the ocz flex ram for their gpu coolers.

As a true ATI fan, I have finally given up. Why should anyone buy a x2600xt when you can get a much cooler GTS? Maybe I just got a bad card?

Will amd's x4 be just as poor - with all the hype that amd boosts of their "true quad core" is worth the wait and how "amd did it right"?

Google amd's prediction in June of 2006 of 30%+ market share next month?

I got ask can amd save itself? This R600 is a prelude or a predictor of amd's all talk and no show technology.

Well the stock is at $15.5 or so i would expected it will tank when the gpu sales tank. It might be a great shorting opportunity next revenue release.
:twisted: :evil: 

and that's all I have to say to you, we already know, whining about it isn't going to help
May 16, 2007 2:42:28 PM

No, but maybe Chuck Norris can do something about it?
May 16, 2007 5:27:19 PM

Quote:

As a customer I expect each generation of card to perform significantly better than the last and that includes the competitiors cards.

With ATI's latest card we have a card that can only compete with the middle range 8800. WTH would anyone want to buy that over Nvidia's choice?

@Verndewd, who cares about the trick architecture, that's like saying my cars got a better ecu than yours. It counts for squat if my car performs 100mph faster than yours.

Fact is ATI have produced a card that doesn't compete with Nvidia's 8800 GTX and doesn't take graphics performance (in fps) any further forwards than it is now. Its also far more complex, has allegedly had problems, has allegedly been pushed to extremes and allegedly heats like a bunsen burner and so with all of this is an unknown quantity as for reliability as well.

Add in the fact that even when the XTX version comes out which should hopefully for ATI beat the GTX and Ultra, Nvidia allegedly still have the next generation ready, the 8900's on a new smaller fab process.

It is well known that people in general support the underdog - even if the underdog is not quite as good.

as far as drivers go - ati then amd had the same amount of time as nvidia to prep drivers for vista or xp - with a 6 months delay the driver issue is not a valid excuse for the poor performance of a "me too" product.

i was a hard core ati user, building crossfire systems with x1800xt then the x1900xt then the 1950xtx - the last system i owned was x1950xtx crossfire i sold those cards 2 months ago to buy my amd x2600 cards due in earlier April.

then amd claimed they again delayed the lunch so they could realise all products as a family -LIARS!

BOTTOM LINE: As a tiny build i shipped 3 systems last week all with nvidia gts cards. I have become so use to using nvidia, it would have taken aleast an equal product to switch me back to ati.

AMD failed! the card is a flop! ITS TOO HOT (hear me amti!) ITS TOO LOUD (sounds like the 4x4 cooling) - ok its a dud!

I am sure someone will want these cards - i think long term there is a major issue with cooling not just the card but the entire systems.
May 16, 2007 5:27:39 PM

Quote:

As a customer I expect each generation of card to perform significantly better than the last and that includes the competitors cards.

@Verndewd, who cares about the trick architecture, that's like saying my cars got a better ecu than yours. It counts for squat if my car performs 100mph faster than yours.

It is well known that people in general support the underdog - even if the underdog is not quite as good.

as far as drivers go - ati then amd had the same amount of time as nvidia to prep drivers for vista or xp - with a 6 months delay the driver issue is not a valid excuse for the poor performance of a "me too" product.

i was a hard core ati user, building crossfire systems with x1800xt then the x1900xt then the 1950xtx - the last system gaming system i owned was x1950xtx crossfire system. I sold those cards 2 months ago to buy my amd x2900 cards due in earlier April.

Once again I could not even buy an x2900. Once again amd delayed it - amd claimed: they delayed the lunch so they could release all products as a family -LIARS!

BOTTOM LINE: As a tiny build i shipped 3 systems last week all with nvidia gts cards. I have become so used to using nvidia, it would have to take aleast an equal product to switch me back to ati.

AMD failed! the card is a flop! ITS TOO HOT (hear me amti!) ITS TOO LOUD (sounds like the 4x4 cooling) - ok its a dud!

I am sure someone will want these cards - i think long term there is a major issue with cooling not just the card but the entire systems.
May 16, 2007 6:09:12 PM

You know I might just buy and OC the FX-74s with 2 OCed 2900 XTs and see how long the system will last with their default HSFs.
May 16, 2007 6:56:54 PM

did you look over all the THG benches on the 2900xt carefully? After looking them over my impression of the 2900 went up. I no longer would say it looks a "little better" than a 8800gts. I'll wait to see more, but it looks better than that first impression now.
May 16, 2007 7:18:14 PM

Quote:
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,6331.html heres the 2900 overclocked to 1211 on the core. with nitrogen.

This article seem to tell that the r600 architecture is not so bad, but that the 80 nm production is guite bad...
So NV did much better when chosing old 90 nm process...

Well we will see this guite soon, when both companies brings out their 65 nm upgrades.

Does anyone know if next NV is only shrink or is it allso architecture update?
May 16, 2007 8:05:33 PM

Not that it will do any good, but I'll repeat what I have said in other threads. The 2900XT is a pretty good release for ATI. Mostly because it shows us that ATI still has it. And that it shows us the monster potential they have. I have to agree with Vern and Jack on this one.....it's not a flop. It is just not the monster release that the 8800 was. But come on....did you really expect it to be like that?

To all these naysayers on this thread. I have been amused reading these nuggets of wisdom. As if they are supposed to make Jack, Vern and myself feel like idiots and retract our statements regarding the 2900XT:

Quote:

Who ever said ATI was an underdog?

Quote:
There's a famous saying, your only as good your last performance and its very true.

I disagree. Greatness, or the lack thereof, is usually earned over time. ATI has historically proven they can compete in the graphics market. One card that does not turn out as great as wished does not mean that ATI stinks.

Quote:
NVIDIA has a 6+ month head start on you ati guys. it will be tough for you since you dont have anyother cards to release this year.

Can this be proven? Does NVIDIA really have a 6 month lead? And do you really know that ATI is not going to release another card this year?? Do you have links or inside info the rest of the world doesn't have?

Point being there are good points for both sides. But please don't talk out of your sphynxter. I am getting very tired of all these posts bashing AMD/ATI with no base of real logical facts behind them. All these posts seem to stem from juvenile kiddies that don't have real perspective on the world.
May 16, 2007 8:42:24 PM

cons

It was delayed several times and launched 6 months after its competitor

It is even with a gts In performance

It costs more than a gts

It uses more power than a gts & nvidia’s top of the line gtx (have to laugh at you people that mocked Prescott’s yet think it is ok for amd to suck up the power)

Amds top of the line card is slower than nvidia’s

Because it was late amd has lost lots of customers & sales to nvidia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros

:oops: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is a failure
May 16, 2007 8:45:28 PM

Lets hope the Phenom won't be the Phenomenal crap too.
May 16, 2007 8:49:54 PM

Seriously dude, youve been on a two day non-stop fanatical rant against the 2900. Do you have a real life in there somewhere?

I mean common you are still using Intel Discrete graphics on your gaming rig. Pfff fff fff fff :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Intel Discrete. :roll: :lol:  :lol: 

I laugh so hard at your posts. You've gone to such lengths to discredit something and you have possibly the biggest piece of sh@t graphics system on the face of the planet.

Do yourself a favor, go get you some beer and candy and calm your spastic arse down. :arrow:
May 16, 2007 9:25:00 PM

Man I was hoping that the R600 would drop the price of the 8800GTX but apparently they do not need to drop their prices because of the sub-par performance on the R600.

I wish it would perform better that way the card I want would go down in price :( 
May 16, 2007 9:43:10 PM

I hate when people on tech forums make analogies involving car speeds, its just stupid. Computers don't have nearly the same limits that cars do.

Besides, everyone should know acceleration is better than top speed.
May 16, 2007 9:58:56 PM

Vern,

One of the things to note is that the typical semiconductor junction will have lower forward voltage drop at liquid nitrogen temperatures. Some are better than others my experience with discrete power rectifiers for superconductor quench protection showed differences of 20% between manufacturers at 77K for parts that had less than .5% difference at room temp.

Would be interesting to note the performance for an Nvida card at 77K for a true comparison.
May 16, 2007 10:01:54 PM

my kid is playing guild wars on 9600xt - the x1950 pro next him has instant chat - so ati makes good stuff. try guild wars on 4400 or 5200 -lol

---------------- wow some peeps are really getting high scores with these cards - well if gpu temp is a score - some new egg feedback:

Tech Level: high
Ownership: 1 week to 1 month 5/16/2007 8:20:31 AM WARNING: DO NOT BUY

Pros: The graphics are just ok compared to one 8800 eVga gts. The 8800 wins

Cons: Super hot. this thing ran at 94 c with 8 fans and water cooling. It ran slow and the drivers for it are very disappointing. I would not advise buying this. In fact i think they should take it off the market because it is so bad. 8800s for the win

Other Thoughts: DO NOT BUY THIS CARD UNLESS YOU HAVE LIQUID NITROGEN COOLING!!!

-----------------------------

A Sad Day When I Have To Talk Bad About ATI

Pros: Low price, very good DX9 performance.

Cons: Extremely loud fan, even set at 100% if you can deal with the noise, this card gets extremely hot. The two currently DX10 games Lost Planet and Call of Juarez, the HD 2900 has serious image quality issues. Lost Planet was optimized for the 8800 so take this with a grain of salt, but CoJ was not and problems still exist.

Other Thoughts: This product cannot compete with the 8800GTX, and still falls short against the 8800GTS which is similarly priced. To overclock this card is a hassle, you need a special 8-pin plug. DO NOT USE THE 8-PIN CPU PLUG, these are not the same and can seriously damage your card. The 2900 is a decent card at best, but for the amount of time we waited it really is a big disappointment. Hopefully ATI will get their act together and fix some of these problems with improved drivers.
--------------------

Beatiful graphics.

Cons: Wooooow talking about heat , this things its hotter than a stove oven :(  Over 92C. not good, it makes my system crash due to heat , I canot overclock my Core2Duo due to heat , heat its going to kill my whole rig , this thing raise my temperature inside my case by 20C. on a lian li case with many 120 MM fans , I had to run my pc with my case sides open just to run this card :(  and thats not a good thing eventhought I have great air flow in my case , way hotter than a 8800GTS , monster power hungry card , im talking lots of power , high voltage and high Amperage needed to run this thing , I have to upgrade to a 1000V Power supply Unit to be able to overclock a little this card , not good overclocker , it needs a 8 pin PCI Xpress conector and not many PSU comes with one :(  . The performance its about equal or less than a 8800GTS 320MB as my brother has one and we benchmarked to see the difference and he always wins with a very similar set up. It is not worth it.

Other Thoughts: I feel that the wait for a looooooong time for this card it was not worth it , Ati/Amd let us all down with this card. It is not worth it , get the 8800GTS 320MB instead , please listen to my experience and opinions. Asus P5B-Premium , Core2duo e6700 with Tuniq tower,2 WD 150GB raptors in raid 0 , Crucial ballistic pc-8000 , This space heater card :( ,Silverstone ST1000V PSU , Lian li PC -V1200Aplus 2 silver aluminum ( with 3 120MM fans for 1 front , 1 for rear and 1 side ). I was an ATI fan until now , I am selling this card asap and will get a 8800GTX instead because it is way faster than this card. ATI/AMD are going downhill from here on , they will loose a lot of ATIfans like me after this major dissapointment. Shame on you ATI/AMD. DO NOT BUY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--------------------------------

Pros: Great performance for the price. Crossfire ready, Supports DX10.

Cons: Power Consumption!! (100Watt more than nVidia 8800 GTS), Heat and Noise.

Other Thoughts: I'm a hardcore ATI fan, I've had the card for 2 days now and I already notice the heat difference from my wife 8800 box. This card performance is amazing! but not that much difference from the 8800 GTS in my other machine, and it consumes 100 more watts of power. It's also alot louder than my 8800. Would've been a 5 if wasnt for these minor flaws.
---------------------

i guesss i am not the only one - anyone now if the old x1950 water cooler will fit this monster - before i tear off the heat sink i wonnder if i can adapt it???? koolance model
May 16, 2007 10:06:25 PM

Quote:
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,6331.html heres the 2900 overclocked to 1211 on the core. with nitrogen.

This article seem to tell that the r600 architecture is not so bad, but that the 80 nm production is guite bad...

Well we will see this guite soon, when both companies brings out their 65 nm upgrades.

its possible ati is just getting rid of these until the 65nm comes out its supposed to be alot better.

by the way: silverstone olympus 1000w psu ships with 2x 8 pin and 4x 6 pin pci-e connectors for crossfire and overclocking - this is made for water.

vern n2 is not a viable consumer product - dude!
May 16, 2007 10:24:25 PM

Quote:

its possible ati is just getting rid of these until the 65nm comes out its supposed to be alot better.

by the way: silverstone olympus 1000w psu ships with 2x 8 pin and 4x 6 pin pci-e connectors for crossfire and overclocking - this is made for water.

vern n2 is not a viable consumer product - dude!

BTW - thanks for the recommendation on the Silverstone 750 PSU for my build... when I unpacked the PSU and saw all the cables, my jaw dropped to the floor. What have I gotten into!!!

But the juice is good man, darn good :lol: 
May 16, 2007 11:51:55 PM

Your welcome -- i do a - PSU update:

the new silverstone decathlon 850 is 70 amps on a single rail! with cords out the waz zoo. quieter and beefer then pc power and coolings new and nice 750w units. The D750 is my new standard for 3ghz q6600 quadcore gtx systems with the D850 the upgrade

silverstone strider 750 @ eastluna is $137 the decathlon 850 is $219 that's a big jump. if you want to split the difference try the decathlon 750 - its sweet at $169. strider 600 ($109) is my standard unit on e6600 3.37ghz GTS systems - 750 is the upgrade - my el cheapo $1800 starter system!

for your ati crossfire junkies with dual crossfire cookers and 10 hdd - try the olympus 1000w single rail but its not module. it has the dual 8 pin plugs - 80 amps on single rail. what a beast its big - fills the entire bay of a large lian li 2000 series case. I only use this on koolance 3.6ghz qx6700 quad core gtx 10 drive systems - 4tb raid

there is the psu update
May 17, 2007 1:28:38 AM

I guess I'm really slow, I (confusingly) read half the posts on the page before figuring out you were talking about the HD 2900XT, NOT the 2600XT.
May 17, 2007 2:33:56 AM

thank you! I changed it!
yes its x2900xt - sorry!

i only really get on here when i am slow - i am overly over loaded now with work - so i post either late at night or in the morning with no sleep.
May 17, 2007 3:43:03 AM

I think more than anything the 80nm process is really holding this card back. I think AMD should have officially stated they are skipping the first go around and waiting for 65nm and pegged that release, it would have saved alot of face and alot of PR. We can see how well this card performs at high clocks, but the heat output is holding it back (duh). Simply put... the 80nm choice blows, it really isn't worth it at all. I am more interested in the X2950XTX on 65nm.

Is this card a flop? No, is it a success? No. Is it possibly just for generating cash flow and clearing out some inventory? most likely.

I wish people would stop comparing it to a GTX.... its $400, not $550.
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2007 3:46:38 AM

If the 2900XT runs hot then how hot is the 2900XTX going to be?

Maybe those flames that painted on top of the 2900XT's heat sink are actually a precautionary statement rather than an art design.
May 17, 2007 3:50:11 AM

The X2900XTX has been scrapped as far as I know and the replacement is the X2950XTX @ 65nm.
May 17, 2007 3:53:50 AM

Agreed.

I wonder what the actual heat output is...7800GTX OC'd was about 60w , because a TEC might take care of this problem... lol.
May 17, 2007 4:12:07 AM

Wow seriously, what a lame ass post. You suck, your post sucks, and most of your previous posts suck. You are a sheep, one who dwells with thier dominant master.
May 17, 2007 4:24:16 AM

Quote:
Wow seriously, what a lame ass post. You suck, your post sucks, and most of your previous posts suck. You are a sheep, one who dwells with thier dominant master.

some people - god said in the bible "vengeance is mine"

vern if you are a sheep i must be a goat?

-----------------
ok back to post -- ya i think the shrink will help ati - maybe the delay is due to the die shrink? since they could not get it done in time they decided to make the super cookers before they completely loose all loyal ati fans?

i think the xtx is oem only?

Quote:
The X2900XTX has been scrapped as far as I know and the replacement is the X2950XTX @ 65nm.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest