May 24, 2008
BSOD when trying to re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit

Hardware Configuration

Motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM
Motherboard ID: 09/20/2007-C51PV-MCP51-M2NPV-VM-00
(no added PCI cards)
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, 2605 MHz
4GB Kingston 5400 Memory

2 - Seagate 320GB Sata2 Drives (Raid 1 Mirrored)
2 - Asus 1814BL Lightscribe Sata DVDRW Drives

2- Maxtor 40GB IDE Drives (Disconnected during re-install process)

Windows Ultimate 64bit was previously installed and running. A few days after installing
Service Pack 1, I noticed that the 2 Seagate Sata drives were no longer mirrored. While attempting to re-establish the Raid 1 Mirrored setup I messed up and decided the best approach was to just wipe the 2 drives and re-install Windows Ultimate 64bit.

The install process goes OK until the first re-boot attempt which ends in the BSOD
0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff98000e0eb98, 0xfffff98000e0e570)

I have re-connected my Windows XP Pro Maxtor 40GB IDE Drive in order to type this. I have also ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (No Issues Noted) and the memory test (2Passes) twice with no issues showing up.

All suggestions welcome

John

Solution
Look over the info below. That MIGHT be your problem. Though your error message is a bit different and it looks like you didn't have this problem before. If you had less than 4 gig of ram during your first install that could explain why it's occurring now.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

If not that then probably a driver issue. Since it's occurring at the same point and at a time when drivers are being loaded. Maybe try to install with nothing but bare essential installed. No USB devices in particular.
Look over the info below. That MIGHT be your problem. Though your error message is a bit different and it looks like you didn't have this problem before. If you had less than 4 gig of ram during your first install that could explain why it's occurring now.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

If not that then probably a driver issue. Since it's occurring at the same point and at a time when drivers are being loaded. Maybe try to install with nothing but bare essential installed. No USB devices in particular.

Solution

jwhdata

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
BINGO - Once I removed 2GB the installation succeeded. However once I downloaded and installed the first 56 Vista Updates I once again ran into the BSOD. Although I havenèt confirmed it yet I suspect the problem to be due to 2 Nvidia driver updates

Status
Not open for further replies.