GA-965P-DS3 won't post, acts weird.

dermotti

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
So im replacing a biostar board that is acting flakey. Problem is it randomly wont post. Once its up, its solid as hell, i can run 3dmark, orthos for 48 hours and no problems.

So trouble shooting the issue, Ive replaced the vidcard, motherboard, and PSU. The only things left that i havnt replaced is the CPU and ram.

Ok on to the gigabyte.

I bought this because i thought it would resolve my issue. So i put the cpu in, ram, vidcard and plug the PSU up outsode the case.

I hit the powerswitch, and the cpu fan flutters a little, vidcard turns on and fan is running. My powersupply keeps clicking on and off. So i plug a second PSU in, the same thing.

So i put all the stuff back in my old biostar, and the system comes up fine.

So maybe i got a DOA mainboard...i exchange is for a brand new one. Same exact results.

Is there something im missing on these mainboard to make them go? The only otherthig that could be wrong is my CPU. It works in one mainboard, but not a gigabyte? I can;t belive i got 2 new gigabytes with the same exact symtoms.

Using a enermax liberty 500w pSU, and a BFG 800watt psu, buffalo firestix ram, e6300 cpu.

help!

dermotti

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Ram and cpu are the only things i havnt replaced. Ive been doing some googling, and looks like the gigabyte board has some compatibility issues with certain ram....

Gahh....im not gonna replace $250 worth of good ram for a $130 mobo...Maybe i can exchange it for a diff mobo...

dermotti

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Yea i hear what your saying on the voltage. Thats what i found alot of people having issue with on this board.

That being said, im pretty sure my ram is good. It works fine in my old board and memtest without issue.

But the problem looks like i cant get into the bios to set the voltage because its not providing enough for my ram int eh first place.

Only options i see are

1. Get a different brand mobo
2. get different ram (no.)
3. Try to borrow some ram to get into the bios and set the voltage.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
The DS3 sets the ram voltage to 1.8, manually change it to 1.9~2.1 .1v at a time in bios. Try one stick of ram if you can't get into bios with 2. Do not forget to save your settings.
That Mobo is one of the best overclockers, v3.3 also supports 1333fsb via bios update.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I wouldn't call that "good" ram, JEDEC spec DDR2 ram should boot with a min of 1.8v. That's why there is a standard.
BTW you paid way too much for your memory.

dermotti

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
This was back in december. Actually i paid 229 or so. I was just making a rough guess.

This is the second GB motherboard i have tried, i exchanged the first one.

TRENDING THREADS