Vista 64 or 32 bit for new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

modode

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I apologize in advance as I'm sure this must get asked 10 times per week, though a quick search didn't turn up anything recent or directly on point. I currently run a machine I built with a partitioned HD dual booting to XP or Vista 32.

I'm doing a new mid-to-high end build and I'm considering Vista 64, but I really know zilch about it other than it's previous reputation as nothing but trouble compared to XP or Vista 32. My impression on these forums is the bugs are getting ironed out with the release of more and more drivers/SP1.

The new build will be Gigabyte GA ep35 ds3L/C2D E8500/8800GTX/4 gigs DDR2 800 RAM with intention to aggressively overclock. Use will be 1. Games 2.Video/photo editing 3.web/office productivity.

Can anyone briefly break down the advantages and disadvantages of Vista 64 vs. 32 at this point in time?

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Do not believe anything about vista 64 being unreliable it's utter rubbish! I had my setup installed in 2 hour's with absolutly zero problem's!

It's been running perfect ever since i can not believe it went so easy thats how much it impressed me! I was like you clinging to XP because i thought vista 64 would give me problem's...lol

One thing i love about the 64 bit version is you can go effortless seemingless between games to surfing the web! I mean i can be playing CRYSIS maxed out directX-10 then load a web page while explosion's are going off with no hiccup's or jerk's in gameplay!

Just do it get the SP1 disk like i did and see the light..I garuantee you will never look back!

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
If you're gonna have 3GB RAM or more get x64 because depending on your hardware configuration you could get cut off to 2.5GB in the worst case scenario.

I was able to completely configure my 64-bit installation exactly the same as my 32-bit installation without experiencing any programming errors.

Where did you hear Vista 64 was nothing but trouble? This is simply not true. Vista 64 is very stable and very popular with enthusiasts - much more popular than 32.

The main advantage to 64 is being able to use all 4 gigs of RAM (if you install 4) or more than 4. A lot of us just go ahead and install 8 gig since RAM is so cheap. There are other differences but at this point they are marginal. That may change over time as more programmers start writing for 64 bit.

For the most part drivers are easily available, certainly for newer components, and on a 64 bit system 32 bit software simply runs in 32 bit mode so there are only a very few programs that won't run. Some anti-virus programs and cd emulation (deamontools for example) require special 64 bit versions but these are few and far between and are usually readily available anyway.

In My Humble Opinion - The cries about Vista 64 (Vista in general, really) are based mostly on misunderstanding, disinformation and the ever present "Little Chicken Syndrome". Yes, it had some teething problems - (nothing compared to XP at release, but that's a longer span of time than the Internet's collective memory, apparently) - and at release there were some key vendors who didn't step up with reliable/working drivers. Creative didn't release any that worked for a year, nVidia's drivers could cause problems, and many were just plain inefficient to begin with - causing performance loss. But a year and a half and a service pack later, these have been ironed out.

A little reality:

If you have very old programs and/or accessories around, you may have problems getting them to work with Vista. Whether 32 or 64 is irrelevant. For new programs/peripherals, to get the Microsoft label, they *must* run on both V32 and V64.

16 bit programs and programs with a 16 bit installer will not run on Vista. Support for 16 bit programming has been removed from the OS.

32 bit programs with 32 bit installers WILL run. Occasionally, you may need to specify a compatibility mode (right click, Properties...).

User Access control is annoying, but can be shut off.

There is still no 64 bit version of Flash Player, but you can run the 32 bit version perfectly well in a 32 bit browser (I use Firefox)

There aren't a lot of native 64 bit applications around. But Vista 64 runs 32 bit apps perfectly well. I have yet to install one that *didn't* work.

I've been running Vista 64 for close to a year now, and ran Vista 32 before that for a few months - In my experience, 64 is the more robust operating system. No application failure has ever taken 64 bit Vista down since I made the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.