Sign in with
Your question

What is AMD doing? R600 is a flop... Shutup already!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs

Have you had enough of AMD/ATI bashing?

Total: 31 votes (1 blank vote)

• Yes, everyone get over it.
  • 47 %
  • It doesnt bother me.
  • 47 %
  • No, I''m an Intel/Nvidia fanboy and I cant get enough of it.
  • 7 %
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2007 8:06:56 AM

How many more people are going to post the same "What will AMD do now?" or "R600 is a flop" or "Is AMD going bankrupt?" or "Look at AMDs share prices, they have no hope now"?????

Its ridiculous! WE KNOW ALREADY!!! GET OVER IT!

Edit: Added a poll.

More about : amd r600 flop shutup

May 16, 2007 8:56:19 AM

lol, people like this don't deserve the right to post on this forum (ones that say that kinda stuff) because it is one sided, short sighted, FUD, and they generally try to beat it down peoples throats, people can see this, and they can make up their own mind, people aren't stupid. :D  thank-you for listening to my rant, i hope that helps... i feel much better now.
May 16, 2007 8:58:03 AM

Quote:
How many more people are going to post the same "What will AMD do now?" or "R600 is a flop" or "Is AMD going bankrupt?" or "Look at AMDs share prices, they have no hope now"?????

Truth is scary and painful sometimes, huh?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2007 9:05:42 AM

Sometimes yes, but seriously, do we need to be told over and over and over? (Ok, some people never get it, but thats their problem. Thats why they are given a special title: Fanboy)
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2007 9:10:13 AM

Quote:
lol, people like this don't deserve the right to post on this forum (ones that say that kinda stuff) because it is one sided, short sighted, FUD, and they generally try to beat it down peoples throats, people can see this, and they can make up their own mind, people aren't stupid. :D  thank-you for listening to my rant, i hope that helps... i feel much better now.

Yes it is one sided, my opinion is that there are too many of the same threads. If you dont agree with me, what do I care?

My opinion has to be short sighted, tell me how I could possibly expand on "there are too many of the same threads"

How is this FUD?

Yes I am trying to beat it down peoples throats, stop posting the same stuff over and over.
May 16, 2007 9:18:32 AM

Quote:
Sometimes yes, but seriously, do we need to be told over and over and over? (Ok, some people never get it, but thats their problem. Thats why they are given a special title: Fanboy)
It is getting monotonous, but that can be said for most thread subjects. Either look in this(CPU) section, or the overclocking(CPU) section, and on any given page...you can see 3 posts all interrelated. ie. Someone will ask...how high can the E4300 O/C to? or which is better...E6400 or x2 5600+? Two threads down, the same damn question. :x :x If we stopped all the repetitive posts though, there won't be many to read/reply too. :wink:
May 16, 2007 9:48:45 AM

Calm down, Kitty..... The AMD fanbois will eventually quit circling the house, take their useless tools with them and go home....
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2007 9:52:20 AM

You're right, I'm letting my frustration with a biology assignment get to me...

*regains composure*
May 16, 2007 10:01:58 AM

Priorities... There will be new GPU's forever, but only one (or two) chances to make Uni. Spend your time wisely....
May 16, 2007 10:23:16 AM

Quote:

Whatever you or I or anyone else is saying, they will never stop doing what they do … so I think that you're wasting your time trying to convince them otherwise.

Once a fanboy ... always a fanboy :( 
May 16, 2007 10:25:21 AM

AMD still sux...

Sorry, couldn't resist :twisted:
May 16, 2007 10:30:31 AM

Not totally.... Had they better utilised the hardware, dropped the die size and improved their overall throughput, this might have been a gtx killer. It will one day be just that, but the problem is where will NV be then? Day late and dollar short comes to mind...
May 16, 2007 10:33:13 AM

Quote:

My kitty agrees with your kitty.
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2007 10:39:32 AM

Thanks, I have a fan(boy) :p 

EDIT: When are they going to fix this stupid forum layout, all my reply/edit/delete/quote buttons are bunch up on top of each other.
May 16, 2007 10:41:59 AM

Its kind of like the fascination people have with poking dead animals with a stick. Its pointless but gives them something to do.
Personally I think both Nvidia and AMD are off their proverbial rocker when it comes to power consumption. We may get ultra low power CPUs in the future, but unless we see some kind of switch in design mentality we will need 2 killowat PSU to run our GPUs
May 16, 2007 10:44:31 AM

When hell freezes over and Jesus joins the Forumz.

*Looks at the Other section*

Okay, we have one out of two.
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2007 10:46:23 AM

Quote:
When hell freezes over and Jesus joins the Forumz.

*Looks at the Other section*

Okay, we have one out of two.

A sign of things to come? Um, did Jesus join?
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2007 10:55:59 AM

Wait a minute.... Jesus was a Jew! That guy does not look Jewish to me. Cheap imitations :lol: 
May 16, 2007 11:00:36 AM

Ya Shua, that may look like Him, for shua
May 16, 2007 11:50:13 AM

Quote:
It still amazes me how they were able to bring Intel to their knees throughout 2003-2006.

They did what? Have you been reading from the good book of Shakirou?
May 16, 2007 12:07:54 PM

I like AMD...BUT the 64 didnt dominate like the C2D has. Maybe for a longer period so far, but not by as much
May 16, 2007 12:16:01 PM

It's not over yet. It'll be if AMD miss it's mark with Barcelona! If they do, game over for them. Until then, all they're doing is taking the Intel of 2 years ago as an exemple without having the financial means to sustain it for as long as Intel did :lol:  .

Will they get back on top following Barcelona? That's the real question.
May 16, 2007 12:20:51 PM

Quote:
It still amazes me how they were able to bring Intel to their knees throughout 2003-2006.

They did what? Have you been reading from the good book of Shakirou?

Well IPC and power consumption they won. Power consumption for me, is only something that has been cropping up regularly in marketing the past 18 months or so and luckily for Intel they have had a lower power performer for most of it.

IPC is kinda irrelevant, Intel achieved clocks AMD could only dream of.
May 16, 2007 12:25:07 PM

Like I told Tacos before, a performance and technological lead is basically useless if you competitor can outsell you while not even trying. Intel did and continues to do that to AMD in just about every sector.
May 16, 2007 1:00:38 PM

Yes. Intel has the name. Hence why if Intel is the same performance as AMD then Intel are winning but for AMD to win they need to be at least 20% better than Intel and plan on totally destroying them.
May 16, 2007 1:01:13 PM

Quote:
Like I told Tacos before, a performance and technological lead is basically useless if you competitor can outsell you while not even trying. Intel did and continues to do that to AMD in just about every sector.

Except for the fact that AMD did gain some market share. Therefore they are a lot bigger now than they were 10 years ago. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Quote:
Yeah well most of the kiddies in this forum arent old enough to know AMD has gone through this many times before.

Pacman?? What the heck is PacMan? Never heard of that.
May 16, 2007 1:14:35 PM

Quote:

Except for the fact that AMD did gain some market share. Therefore they are a lot bigger now than they were 10 years ago. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Excellent point.
May 16, 2007 1:30:58 PM

Agree to MB's point here. I still remember K6-2 & K6-III...plus el cheapo we were all using (SiS and VIA chipsets, anybody?). But still, they rebounded with Athlon, AthlonXP and Athlon64 (S-754 & S-939)
May 16, 2007 1:31:58 PM

Agree to MB's point here. I still remember K6-2 & K6-III...plus el cheapo motherboards we were all using (SiS and VIA chipsets, anybody?). But still, they rebounded (or is it rebind :?: ) with Athlon, AthlonXP and Athlon64 (S-754 & S-939)...

Just my experience and opinion. Fell free to correct me/ make amendment(s)
May 16, 2007 1:38:30 PM

Doesn't news on AMD's CPUs, GPUs, and future viability warrant threads?

Just because much of the CURRENT news is neutral to negative, don't blame the posts. Head in the sand is no place to be. :wink:

Many of the posts are in response to specific benchmarks and/or AMD events... there are also plenty of threads on Intel happenings.

And I don't see too many - "AMD is screwed, no link" posts.
May 16, 2007 1:55:47 PM

Quote:
Agree to MB's point here. I still remember K6-2 & K6-III...plus el cheapo motherboards we were all using (SiS and VIA chipsets, anybody?). But still, they rebounded (or is it rebind :?: ) with Athlon, AthlonXP and Athlon64 (S-754 & S-939)...

Just my experience and opinion. Fell free to correct me/ make amendment(s)

AMD have grown, they have more responsibilities to the market/industry now. K6 days AMD were the cheaper alternative to Intel I wouldn't really say they had anything to rebound from. Athlon put them more so on the map then 64 was a hit.
They had the lead and lost it. They then put themselves in huge debt and consistantly lie about their products.
The higher you get the harder you fall
May 17, 2007 8:59:36 AM

*calls down a plague of auditors on randomizer* [/How dare you call me cheap!]

@everyone else
You guys can beat the whole AMD vs Intel subject until it's completely hollow, and I think it passed the hollowness stage back in the 90s, when AMD started taking an architecture further. I note that the K6-2/3 was raised in this thread... anyone remember the 133MHz X5 on the 486? Quite.

If you go back in history, to the days of the i80286 (and even before) Intel did the R&D, and licensed the technology to various other manufacturers, like Texas Instruments, Cyrix, and AMD. Until the 80586, a.k.a. the Pentium. This was when the 'Intel Inside' logo actually indicated a different processor to everybody else. This is when life got interesting, and other companies did their own R&D.

Intel abandoned the socket 7 architecture (the Pentium/Pentium MMX) when they got to 233MHz. AMD continued with the socket 7 architecture (the K6-2 and K6-III) to give the Pentium 2 and early Pentium 3 competition. When it became obvious that the socket 7 architecture was no longer capable of competing, AMD brought out the socket A (462) architecture - the Athlons.

In essense, Intel is on top for a while, then AMD takes the crown, then Intel takes it back... and both companies are quite capable of using whatever tactics they see fit to sell their products - even if it means bashing the opposition. This is competition.

Discuss.
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2007 9:09:41 AM

(To the auditors which appeared out of nowhere)

Ive got nothing to hide. My biology assignment is on time, my bank details are in order and that hydroponic greenhouse in my backyard is growing tomatoes!
May 17, 2007 10:51:36 AM

*auditors leave, muttering amongst themselves*
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2007 11:08:34 AM

Phew, now to call my contacts in Bali about our next shipment of.... tomates.
May 17, 2007 12:15:16 PM

At the risk of being called a "fanboy" (although I have owned both ATI and NVIDIA graphic cards), AMD/ATI needed to take their time. Even within the Toms Hardware forums I have read about a multitude of driver problems with the new NVIDIA direct X 10 graphic cards.

I believe this article that you will find on the Toms Hardware site is well written, balanced and informative, and I agree with every word.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/14/r600_finally_dx1...

AMD/ATI as a business is financially struggling, that being said they cannot afford any glaring mistakes especially with new products. Nevertheless I think we would all be naive to think that even with the introduction of the R600 from ATI that there won't be problems, but I believe AMD is doing there best to minimize this.

I will buy this card, and I have no doubt that I will be very pleased. I am not an avid gamer but I do play some pc games, and like most I want the best visual and engaging experience I can get. In comparing the ATI R600 to the NVIDIA, and after reading the article on Toms Hardware I am now more confident with my decision to buy ATI.
May 17, 2007 12:21:19 PM

The card isn't out, the people complain, the card comes out, they still complain. Nothing we can do about it so I just try and ignore it. That's why I've been on some other forumz for a while, to get away from all the whiners...
May 17, 2007 1:00:14 PM

Quote:

Yes it is one sided, my opinion is that there are too many of the same threads. If you dont agree with me, what do I care?

My opinion has to be short sighted, tell me how I could possibly expand on "there are too many of the same threads"

How is this FUD?

Yes I am trying to beat it down peoples throats, stop posting the same stuff over and over.

extremely sorry... i don't think you interpreted what i said right... i was agreeing with you whole heartedly and saying that people who spam that crap (the examples that you gave) don't deserve to post here.
May 17, 2007 1:08:02 PM

Quote:

hypocrite at all
May 17, 2007 4:28:37 PM

Quote:
The card isn't out, the people complain, the card comes out, they still complain. Nothing we can do about it so I just try and ignore it. That's why I've been on some other forumz for a while, to get away from all the whiners...

Remember when card releases were fast and furious? Then AMD\ATI takes a LONG vacation and when they finally release something it's not even close to what the competition has had out for months? I'd call that some HUGE issues.
May 17, 2007 5:46:40 PM

A simple advertisment for the Search button would have sufficed. But yes the doom'n'gloom threads are a bit tiresome now.
May 17, 2007 6:59:21 PM

Quote:
(To the auditors which appeared out of nowhere)

Ive got nothing to hide. My biology assignment is on time, my bank details are in order and that hydroponic greenhouse in my backyard is growing tomatoes!

Yeah, tomatoes! I'm sure. Nvidia sheep.
May 17, 2007 7:31:37 PM

relatively speaking ATI HD2900 Is not a flop....its not an enthusiast part..its made to go against the GTS and it does...in some games the GTS wins..in some the HD 2900 Wins... (It was fanboy hype that it would beat the GTX)

seesh, plus the drivers are immature, i mean look at the G80, since it came out the drivers have given it a 20% increase from original release performance...
May 17, 2007 8:18:01 PM

whered that cool ninja avatar go???
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2007 8:25:54 PM

Yeah , you heard. OK so this new card is too expensive to compete. That will change.

It does suck also that you have to buy a more expensive m/b for a Xfire as opposed to sli esp. seein that AMD should really be targeting lower end

I have enjoyed my AMD experiences since the K6 233 that rocked out Mechwarrior2.

AMD has only ever very briefly held the title of king. Intel have just too much crazy capacity. However I think they are often misguided.

AMD however are rock and roll. They need to slash prices further to the point where their top end chips cost half of intels. that would stem the flow a bit.

Keep in mind that the chips cost nearly nothing. Its all in the design and tooling up for runs.

ATI have also been rocking since the advent of the Radeon 8500 costing nothing against the Nvidia Ti 4***'s huge prices. Their merging into a single entity will give advantages to both the GPU and CPU design teams. Imagine a dual core GPU in crossfire at 2GHz+ per core. IT WILL HAPPEN.
May 17, 2007 9:55:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah , you heard. OK so this new card is too expensive to compete. That will change.

It sucks up watts like crazy which price isn't going to fix.

Quote:

AMD has only ever very briefly held the title of king. Intel have just too much crazy capacity. However I think they are often misguided.

AMD Athlon started the AMD reign and Core2 ended it. Intel played catch up and sometimes briefly passed AMD during that period but face the music Heatburst just plain sucked. If Intel hadn't been fixated on Moore's Law and processor speed they could have set AMD on their ear a long tima ago.

Quote:

ATI have also been rocking since the advent of the Radeon 8500 costing nothing against the Nvidia Ti 4***'s huge prices. Their merging into a single entity will give advantages to both the GPU and CPU design teams. Imagine a dual core GPU in crossfire at 2GHz+ per core. IT WILL HAPPEN.

ATI could certainly use some help. Their cards have always required more power than Nvidia but the power and heat issue is totally out of hand maybe AMD can cool their jets so to speak.
May 18, 2007 1:29:28 AM

the official term will be "PhanBoi" I DECREE!!

all who wanna bitch about amd and their "mistakes" can go start their own cpu company or SHADDUP!
May 18, 2007 2:19:35 AM

Quote:
the official term will be "PhanBoi" I DECREE!!

all who wanna bitch about amd and their "mistakes" can go start their own cpu company or SHADDUP!

I second that motion.... :wink:
May 18, 2007 2:37:57 AM

http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=645

The R600 spanked the G80 for being "naughty" in most benchmarks, the R600 isn't a flop, it's just an early production release, the 65nm shrink and driver polishing would help it's performance out significantly, and maybe help them figure out how to re-engineer the 2900XTX or re-engineer it to 2950XTX and 2900XTX2/ 2950XTX2, come on ATI you come into the game almost a year late and you are only managing to catch up to the Higher Mainstream.

I WANT 2950XTX2!!! Quad-Fire ME!!
!