Intel FUD versus AMD fact

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Intel FUD versus AMD fact

Some quotes from the article:

In assessing these facts, three ancient axioms come to mind: Nice guys finish last, slow and steady wins the race, and haste makes waste. I'll let you plug these in as the story unfolds.
:lol:

ok, leaving that aside

Fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) marketing hits harder now than ever, when investors and analysts fancy themselves armchair experts in semiconductor process technology, and it's not in AMD's character to fight Intel's FUD with fire. It’s trying to fight it with facts instead, hoping -- perhaps unrealistically -- that someone will listen. Intel claims that AMD is ill-equipped to upsize from 200mm silicon wafers to the 300mm wafer diameter that's standard at Intel. Wider wafers equates to more chips per wafer and, therefore, to potentially higher manufacturing output. However, Intel leaves some elements out of this plot. AMD claims that its yields lead the industry, meaning that it consistently pulls more perfect chips from each manufacturing run than the average, so it hadn't the need to kick up to larger wafers to offset the number of bum chips per run

FUD Marketing is the keyword here and that describes perfectly what Intel was doing lately. (You wouldn't know what i'm talking about would you jj?)

Regardless of size and position in the market, there is usually a gap between what a company says and what it does. These are hard to find at AMD. At the CTO Summit, AMD laid out a fully finished 300mm wafer to touch and photograph, and we were shown specifics on the fab rollout schedule for AMD’s 45nm process. We got an advance look at new AMD/ATI chip set technology as well, along with a completely new and radical AMD CPU, the nondisclosures on which lift this month. AMD is not running behind Intel. It is simply not practicing reactive engineering, and if you pay attention, you’ll see that AMD’s take on 45nm process, 300mm wafers, desktop chip sets, and dual-core mobile architecture are more than mere snapshots of the marketed leading edge, which is a coat of gloss on the present. AMD, through its partnership with IBM, defines the leading edge. Watch.

Well I definitely expect to find myself in an open flamewar after posting this kind of stuff for the Intel zombies to see. But the thing is that the general view on forumz is more Intel biased than everywhere and the fact is the truth is out there and is somewhat different that what Intel wants it's fans to believe.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I creased my brow in skepticism at this article. I havent seen anything yet from AMD ; just a cool new card thats a bit on the spendy side.

Like the article says AMD doesn't do reactive marketing. What do you want to see from AMD ahead of their schedule ?
If the fact that Intel leapfrogged AMD after 4 years in the PC area (and not really on servers like many would think around here) spells doom for AMD from your perspective then you're an Intel fanboy taking this opportunity to bash AMD in every possible way.

It AMD regains the gap after 1 year or possibly exceeds Intel (which few here believe possible) does that make AMD 4x better than Intel?

Let's just say that the ball is on AMD's side of field know but that doesn't mean AMD will lose the game just for the fact that it can't keep the ball all the time in Intell side of the field. The better team overall will win and not the team that had the ball for the last 5 min.

AMD is still competitive on many fronts and delivers better value on some ends from entry level to mainstream, even if it lost the high end battle in PC's for the moment and even if it had some rough quarters.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I think this year is just a washout for the most part,and AMD has since explained why and it was for good reasons. It takes time to bounce back from a scrapped project and then an aquisition.

I am really excited by the new gfx design, a few fixes and it will be a great card. But they are really dragging on procs , i mean really bad. This is just not a great year for them,and now they have pushed 45nm and ddr3 to late 08.

To me it seems like they are stumped. They need a 200th degree blackbelt engineer with connections to the ultraconciousness and stream of conciousness channelling.
LMFAO!! :p :p Dewd...put the hash-pipe down! :p :p :p Sometimes, Vern...i think you're gonna keel over dead from a heart attack(you do get engrossed in your conversations) from the stress. :wink:

When the 64s took off whered that leave Intel? Second place. Now Conroe is king, wheres AMD? naturally second. Whats important here is that AMD has the ability to send the ball in Intels court, not alot of words. Just facts. If it happens, and when it happens, we know that not only is AMD alive but indeed, a player

annihilatorpro

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Want to talk about FEAR UNCERTAINTY and DOUBT? Let's talk about how AMD has been hyping their projects and telling everyone they have a kickass product (R600 and Barcelona) when they have nothing to show for yet. I don't see how Intel is instilling FUD when they have showcased their products to the public. Both companies have also more recently laid out their future plans and products.

It is simply not practicing reactive engineering
Um, so scrapping an entire project due to the lack of multithreaded software is not reactive engineering? Intel has done this multiple times (Tejas, the 5Ghz+ project that got scrapped due to power consumption issues comes to mind). Reactive engineering is natural in the computer world.

Your article feels more pro-AMD than anything else.
As a result, AMD carried its present process, 65nm (which is Intel’s standard as well), into production only when its benefits exceeded those delivered by transistor evolution and not as a reaction to Intel or any other competitor. Each generation of AMD64 has increased clock and bus speed, and carried CPUs from single to dual-core, and yet AMD has managed to keep power consumption and heat absolutely flat. As a result, Opteron and Athlon FX, AMD’s two leading chip lines, have years-long stability in power, cooling, and socket specifications, enabling competition among third-party chip-set and motherboard makers.
I feel like he ripped this straight from a Hector Ruiz or Henri Richard transcript!

samael

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
I believe that we have to give credit to AMD for all their good things in the past years…
And also criticize them for their flops.

I believe in constructive criticism … there is no point in bashing again and again a company for the same mistake … ok you’ve said it once … it’s enough … a lot of people who are posting here are posting again and again the same old boring things(the ,What is AMD doing? R600 is a flop … Is AMD going bankrupt?, kind of threads) … that a little pathetic, if you have nothing else to say better to shut up.

It’s normal for a company to have its ups and downs (after all the mistakes we make help us improve… it’s the same with a company … it must have its downs to be able to progress even furthered and improve).
Even if in the near past there have been a lot of downs I keep my faith in AMD … I think they will deliver with Barcelona and I think we will not be disappointed.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I believe that we have to give credit to AMD for all their good things in the past years…
And also criticize them for their flops.

I believe in constructive criticism … there is no point in bashing again and again a company for the same mistake … ok you’ve said it once … it’s enough … a lot of people who are posting here are posting again and again the same old boring things(the ,What is AMD doing? R600 is a flop … Is AMD going bankrupt?, kind of threads) … that a little pathetic, if you have nothing else to say better to shut up.

It’s normal for a company to have its ups and downs (after all the mistakes we make help us improve… it’s the same with a company … it must have its downs to be able to progress even furthered and improve).
Even if in the near past there have been a lot of downs I keep my faith in AMD … I think they will deliver with Barcelona and I think we will not be disappointed.
Good in theory, but no matter how good Intel does in the future, people will never let them live-down Netburst. :oops:

samael

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Want to talk about FEAR UNCERTAINTY and DOUBT? Let's talk about how AMD has been hyping their projects and telling everyone they have a kickass product (R600 and Barcelona) when they have nothing to show for yet. I don't see how Intel is instilling FUD when they have showcased their products to the public. Both companies have also more recently laid out their future plans and products.

It is simply not practicing reactive engineering
Um, so scrapping an entire project due to the lack of multithreaded software is not reactive engineering? Intel has done this multiple times (Tejas, the 5Ghz+ project that got scrapped due to power consumption issues comes to mind). Reactive engineering is natural in the computer world.

Your article feels more pro-AMD than anything else.
As a result, AMD carried its present process, 65nm (which is Intel’s standard as well), into production only when its benefits exceeded those delivered by transistor evolution and not as a reaction to Intel or any other competitor. Each generation of AMD64 has increased clock and bus speed, and carried CPUs from single to dual-core, and yet AMD has managed to keep power consumption and heat absolutely flat. As a result, Opteron and Athlon FX, AMD’s two leading chip lines, have years-long stability in power, cooling, and socket specifications, enabling competition among third-party chip-set and motherboard makers.
I feel like he ripped this straight from a Hector Ruiz or Henri Richard transcript!

I agree that the article is a little biased because some points are valid and others are not ... but anyway I think that this is a time when AMD needs a little confidence ... at least until proven otherwise.

And please don’t bring the R600 was over hyped argument again … its lame dude :D

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Regardless of size and position in the market, there is usually a gap between what a company says and what it does. These are hard to find at AMD.

That's my favorite part.

Don't you know that AMD's favorite material is "paper"? :D

You should also ask Hector how's that 30% MSS goal going.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I creased my brow in skepticism at this article. I havent seen anything yet from AMD ; just a cool new card thats a bit on the spendy side.

The point was that he did see things. AMD showed a 300mm 45nm wafer and the complaint was that it wasn't actual chips. The XT is the same price and perf basically as 8800GTS. They used their new HT3 chipset for the demos. they showed face recognition. Showed that FASN8 will be over 1TFLOP.

Computex has been noted as the place for all things K10. Patience is a virtue. Ending up with your foot in your mouth isn't.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006

Wow, there was more FUD in that article then I've seen since the low power quad-core Xeon against 4x4 test.

AMD has it in the highest level server, meaning with Cray and IBM supercomputers, but from high-end to mid-range, Intel is firmly holding their own. The low end and some of the mid-range, AMD has things going well for them, but even there Intel has a good thing going with a lot of budget computers using their chips.

AMD isn't screwed, but they've lost a lot of ground due to wishful thinking.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

The point was that he did see things. AMD showed a 300mm 45nm wafer and the complaint was that it wasn't actual chips. The XT is the same price and perf basically as 8800GTS. They used their new HT3 chipset for the demos. they showed face recognition. Showed that FASN8 will be over 1TFLOP.

Computex has been noted as the place for all things K10. Patience is a virtue. Ending up with your foot in your mouth isn't.Well that would make you far from virtuous. :tongue:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The XT is the same price and perf basically as 8800GTS.

2900XT 512MB $429
8800GTS 640MB $339

Hardly the same price and barely the same performance.This is Baron Matrix that you're talking to Bo. Don't you realize, that if it's from AMD/ATI...it's "fast enough"?? :wink: :roll:

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
The XT is the same price and perf basically as 8800GTS.

2900XT 512MB $429
8800GTS 640MB $339

Hardly the same price and barely the same performance.This is Baron Matrix that you're talking to Bo. Don't you realize, that if it's from AMD/ATI...it's "fast enough"?? :wink: :roll:

Well - I have to point out dumb statements somewhere, since I stopped harassing the morons at Sharidouche's blog due to that freaks allowing of anti-semetic statements, I'll take 'em where I can get 'em...

tdank

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Fanboyism(Be for Intel or be it for AMD) is so overdone now days. I printed a copy of the OP and wiped with it. Yes, it chafed. But I'm commited to my anti-fanboy cause.

What would you call the debut of the AMD 4x4, if not reactive engineering?

AMD is slow and steady, they would never release a peice of poop just for the sake of having four cores... oh wait... they did!

Intel is hot and AMD is cold right now, no other way of looking at it. If you want to talk about processor temperatures and wattage requirements I guess you could say AMD is hot and Intel is warm...

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
AMD claims that its yields lead the industry, meaning that it consistently pulls more perfect chips from each manufacturing run than the average, so it hadn’t the need to kick up to larger wafers to offset the number of bum chips per run
Regardless of size and position in the market, there is usually a gap between what a company says and what it does. These are hard to find at AMD.
O Rly? Release of K 10? R600? Benchmarks? Perfromance? He said the gaps were hard to find, but I think he must have meant the results.
Each generation of AMD64 has increased clock and bus speed, and carried CPUs from single to dual core, and yet AMD has managed to keep power consumption and heat absolutely flat. As a result, Opteron and Athlon FX, AMD’s two leading chip lines, have years-long stability in power, cooling, and socket specifications, enabling competition among third-party chip-set and motherboard makers
O Rly? He must never have heard of socket 939, or it just didnt exist in his world. I can see where its true that 65nm could not be considered a 'generation' of processor as its only a node shrink of K8, but it did turn out slower didnt it, and what about those FX 70/72/74s? Using less power and needing less cooling....I think not.

I believe that the 939-pin package has a lot of life in it and we’ll make sure that that package is stable and that we’ll make it last as long as the technology allows us too.
So much for that comment.

Non reactionary? Google "Henri Richard says Intel" and see how non reactionary the results are.
At Advanced Micro Devices, talking trash about Intel is always a significant part of someone's job. For decades, it fell to founder Jerry Sanders.

The baton has since passed to Henri Richard, executive vice president of worldwide sales and marketing. Last year, Richard asserted that Intel had fallen behind in terms of performance, because it had become complacent. CEO Hector Ruiz sometimes complains about Intel, but lately it's usually been Richard.

At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Richard, at a breakfast meeting, did his duty again. He said the Intel Inside program and other marketing promotions Intel has used over the years have killed profitability for PC makers.

"The industry was saddled with a very successful marketing program that sucked all of the profit out of the industry," he said. In China, PC makers can avoid these programs and "not become a hostage."

PC makers I've talked to have actually not been critical of Intel Inside. Without it, most say, they wouldn't be able to advertise. But Richard does make snappy quotes, and AMD has said in its lawsuit that the program has hurt competition, so a judge will ultimately get to review the debate. Intel vigorously denies all of AMD's claims and says it will prove it wrong in court.

Richard also said that some notebook designs based around Intel chips and ATI graphics chips have been "shot" because AMD bought ATI. He wasn't specific on which notebooks. Sources say this will be part of its antitrust case.

And in the meantime, it makes good copy.
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-6148717-7.html

AMD is just now moving to its 65-nanometer process, and its first product using it will be Barcelona. With it, the company hopes to reclaim some of the momentum it built with Opteron. Much like Intel did a year ago, AMD is training the eyes of customers, analysts and press on a product that has yet to ship, in hopes they don't notice the current product.
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/2100-10879_11-6163315.html

"There is a side to this story that no one has written yet," he says. "There is a belief that history will repeat itself, that Intel will recover its markets, and things will go back to being the way they were. But that is not true."
RightyO :roll: Intel cant reclaim market, Intel cant reclaim market, Intel cant reclaim market.. maybe if Henri keeps chanting that to himself, time will go backwards. http://www.siliconvalleywatcher.com/mt/archives/2006/09/svw_top_chat_he.php

I'm going to be straight. I think that we've been too quiet and I think that part of that is that we're trained to be very honest, grounded in reality, [and] truthful with our benchmarks. I'm sick and tired of being pushed around by a competitor that doesn't respect the rules of fair and open competition.

I think its very important for us to make sure that information that's diseminated in the marketplace is fair and honest and I think that people should be able to win on the merit of their products without trying to make reality into fiction. Our industry is lacking standard metrics like miles per gallon

David Berlind asked Richard how AMD intends to play this game and Richard responded that

"Two wrongs don't make a right and you can expect us to continue to stay true".

Later on in the interview Berlind highlighted one of the benchmarks that AMD was showing at the conference showing how AMD's best dual core Opteron was actually faster than Intel's best dual core Xeon 5160....
So here we have AMD’s Richard screaming about Intel’s use of older stats from the previous SPECint standard which shows Intel killing AMD by a large margin, then promises not to do the same thing, then goes right on ahead and offers one month old stats showing AMD’s 3% lead on SPECint_2006.

"It's driven by the fact that they can't talk about their current products, because everybody knows their current products aren't very good," said Henri Richard, AMD's chief sales and marketing officer, in an interview with CNET News.com late Friday.

Richard was responding to a prediction from an Intel executive that the company's chips scheduled for the second half of the year will deliver a 20 percent improvement in performance over comparable AMD products scheduled for release in the same time frame.
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/2100-10878_11-6043587.html

Meyer added that a price war started by Intel in the second quarter of 2006 caused many difficulties. "They did everything in their power to protect their monopoly," he said.

Dirk Meyer, AMD president and chief operating officer, told reporters recently that Intel used heavy discounts and predatory pricing to keep AMD out of its markets and accused it of "knee-capping" tactics, including fear and intimidation, to persuade manufacturers and retailers to opt for Intel-only microprocessors.
"Knee capping" tactics? :roll: Jeezus, grow up Dirk.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worldbiz/archives/2006/09/13/2003327463

No one gets to pick and choose which actions they wish to show as representative of themselves. You cant say, "look where we invited everyone to a rollout party and gave them free food and drinks, but dont look at the web interview where our VP of marketing was jumping up and down like a rabid chimanzee". You are the sum of all your parts regardless of whether you like the light they cast you in or not. In the case of advertising, or a business, you are the sum of all your deals, transactions, advertisments, slogans and quotes. When you look at AMDs total hstory, not just the history they or the fanbois want to see, they are no differtent than Intel...meaning they are just as dirty and untruthfull. The proof is in the mouths of Dirk Meyer, Hector Ruiz and Henri Richard.
The person who wrote the artical you linked to, Tom Yager, appears to have a borescope view, seeing only what he wants, how he wants.

Oh, so long as we're qouting, heres a good one

AMD has already seen some pricing activity on Intel's part at the low end of the market, Richard said. "I'm seeing drastic price cuts on products people don't want to buy," he said. But the company declined to talk about whether it believes Intel will make wider cuts during the quarter. Intel, citing the quiet period in place up until next week's earnings call, declined to comment on its pricing strategy.
Hmmm, Henri said this in april of last year. Portents of things to come?http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/2100-10878_11-6060597.html

Oh, and I finally found where Baron gets his "good enough" mentality from....guess where...go ahead.................Its Henri! Of course :roll:
“Yes, we may hit the 'good enough' phenomenon where the race is going to change,”

That quote can be found here
http://thinkexist.com/quotes/henri_richard/
Along with a shitload of other Henri quotes which should raise question to the 'non-reactionary' assesment

Off to another note: in all fairness to everyone involved, Henri, Hector, Dirk and even Paul.. the amount of partial quotes, and out of context quotes is suprising. To see the number of quotes from Henri around the web, you would think this guy is in front of a camera 24/7/52. Its amazing how his words have been chopped to fit articles. The guy gives one interview, and his words show up in 50 places.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I would say AMD does a lot more FUD than Intel does.
115685.jpg

Intel doesn't compare its processor with its competitor's on their website, but only to themselves.

P.S. AMD fact? you might want to take a look at
this
its 2007, and AMD's still comparing X2 with P-D?

EDIT:
more on AMD's FUD.
Link
This page shows that AMD's systems are able to outrun Intel's system in most of the benchmarks. Scroll down to the bottom, to the system configuration...

AMD uses Nvidia 6150 on board graphic and ATi Xpress 3200, compares to Intel's... G945? P965?

The funny part is that they're trying to compare processor...with intergrated graphic chipset benchmarks?

actually, the funnier part is, they provided a link to TheInq, stating that G965 sucks.
...so where is my processor benchmark?