Who has had problems with xp sp3

fleakiller

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
I installed sp3 last night every thing went fine after rebooting my system is slow,half my icons are messed up,when i go to my computer it takes aprox two min two find my drives, Thanks

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I have tried 3 times now. First time was by going to the Windows Update site and the other two through auto-update. Each time it gets near the end and then a message box pops up saying "Access Denied". It then uninstalls itself, says my computer may be unusable now, but works fine after I reboot.

I have run all the system utilities I can think of to clean up, throughly test, and defrag the HD. I ran RegSupreme Pro to clean up the registry. I will try again and then just turn off auto-updates if it fails again.

fleakiller

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Also in device manager i have no icons! I went back two sp2 with no change, tried to restore system but system restore cant restore to any date, I dont know what to do next but to reinstall xp anyone have any idea's

knudsen

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Do xp repair, you get to keep your data and programs. Boot off xp disk, do not take the first offer to go to a repair console. Do setup xp. then do what it says like accept the license etc., soon you get a screen showing where your installation currently resides (presumably c:\windows). At that time press the key that the screen says for a repair (r maybe???). From there it looks like you are doing a fresh install, except you don't format or anything like that.

I'm going by memory, so if this does not make sense, reply and I'll do it tonight and clear things up, or perhaps someone can fill in what I missed.

I have a 100% success rate of preserving data doing this, and a 75% rate of solving xp problems.

Much simpler, but less effective is to open a cmd window and type "sfc /scannow"

Here's some good bedtime reading and you might even get luck (keep this clean guys) and find an sp3 version if you search MS site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875355&Product=windowsxpsp2

Edit: you might end up doing a reinstall, but the repair only takes an hour, mostly unattended. So it's worth a try. Also, you keep drivers, net setup, accounts and all the little things that make reinstall a nightmare for many.

Edit2: On behalf of Tater Salad, my avitar and best friend, DIE FLEAS DIE!!!

Cherio

exfileme

Splendid

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I am going to hold off on installing it. SP2 works just fine for me. If no performance improvements are involved then it isn't worth installing on my home computer.

michaelst

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I've installed SP3 three times, on thrre differnt PC's (All intel, P4 3.2ghz Prescott, E6600 and E6550) in the last 3 days. No problems whatsoever, in fact, all three are running better and faster.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid

See this M$ KB article: Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is denied" or “Service Pack installation did not complete”

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
What's wrong with SP3? I just recently had to reinstall windows xp (since the partition had spyware) and I updated all the way to sp3. My computing experience has never been better.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

Could someone please explain to me why SP3 is so bad? I installed it on my pc and everything is running perfectly.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
same at work we have 4 laptops with SP3 working perfectly and my desktop at home works perfectly...

but the experience was bound to be bumpy for some people, things like this are to be expected.

More than likely SP3 problems are hardware related to specific hardware combinations that fell outside of the original testing lines, you guys that have installed it and are experiencing no problems are probably running machines that the hardware inside was previously tested.

Normally MSFT addresses these issues and releases numerous Hotfixes and if its bad enough it may lead to another SP, if you're not experiencing any problems you are one of the lucky ones, but just because you're not experiencing problems doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone since we all have different machines.

Brand name PCs like Gateway, HP, Dell, Emachines, Etc., should not experience any problems what so ever unless they upgraded their machines to hardware outside the test parameters, otherwise those machines were definitely in the test group lineup from the beginning.