Server os

subpk10

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
i was thinking of getting a new PC for a small server, i wasnt sure what OS would be the best to use on it, i was heading towards ubuntu server edition, but any suggestions and maybe a reason why a different one would be better would be greatly appreciated. also are linux servers just better than windows server or is windows server hard to use or something.

P.S. at first a am mainly just going to be using it for a minecraft server and maybe mumble along with it, the minecraft server would only have about 5 people at first and maybe more as time goes along. also this is what i was thinking of using http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?sort=2a&products_id=49548 but i can get it for $299

Solution
Well the obvious advantages of using a *nix based distro over Windows for a server are A) They're (generally) free, B) They're generally faster/more efficient, and C) They're generally more secure.

Linux will most likely be a tad more difficult to use if you have no prior experience, but the extra work pays off, imo. When you factor in the cost of the Windows counterpart, I'd say it's more than worth it.

I'm running Ubuntu Server on my home server with absolutely no complaints. You can really run any distribution you want though. Be aware that the Ubuntu Server version has no desktop environment installed by default, so if you're not comfortable with the command line, this may not be the best option.

You also need to ensure that...

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Well the obvious advantages of using a *nix based distro over Windows for a server are A) They're (generally) free, B) They're generally faster/more efficient, and C) They're generally more secure.

Linux will most likely be a tad more difficult to use if you have no prior experience, but the extra work pays off, imo. When you factor in the cost of the Windows counterpart, I'd say it's more than worth it.

I'm running Ubuntu Server on my home server with absolutely no complaints. You can really run any distribution you want though. Be aware that the Ubuntu Server version has no desktop environment installed by default, so if you're not comfortable with the command line, this may not be the best option.

You also need to ensure that the server client for Minecraft has a Linux version available (which I don't see any reason why it wouldn't).

Solution

randomizer

Champion
You can use the desktop edition of Ubuntu. The only difference between the Desktop and Server editions is the pre-installed packages. One can become the other without much trouble. If you go for the Desktop edition you will start out with a desktop environment at least. You can then proceed to install whatever packages you need for your server afterwards.

TRENDING THREADS