Performance issue with Vista on a fast computer

shingor6

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
I'm new to vista, I installed vista with SP1 on my new computer :

Q6600 with 4 gig ram DDR2
Gforce 7800GT

I run a battery of test and benchmark on vista and my system is performing as it should.

my cpu usage is around 5-10% most of the time

There's just a problem with the mouse and keyboard, when I move my cursor it seem to freeze for a few ms frequently, same thing when I move a window. Sometime when I type the key appear a bit after I typed them.

But everything else work fine. Any idea what could be the problem?

This is kind of a general symptom with many possible causes I think. I would start with either task manager or it's big brother, process explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx and try to determine if any background process is spiking ram or processor usage at those times when the system hangs.

You might want to look over everything you have installed since the time when the system was running without this problem.

I'd also scan for malware and update all my drivers, particularly sound and video. And if all fails try rolling system back with system restore.

You might also try running the system in safe mode to see if same thing happens there.

Has this same configuration ever run properly or did it hang like this from the start?

shingor6

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
The install is fresh and the problem seem to be there from the start, but I think the problem might be kaspersky 7. Since I closed it everything has been running smoothly, further investigation is required.

Also the Q6600 is one hell of an overclocking monster.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Quick questions.

Does your sound also stutter or jitter when you play music?

Are you using a dedicated DVI cable/ports?