Need Too Many Soft Reset Ipaq 4700

August 13, 2005 7:18:31 PM

I recently purchased an Ipaq 4700. I really like it. The only problem
is that more than 1/2 the time when I try to power it on I have to do
a soft reset. Do I have a defective unit or is there some software
giving me prolbems? I am running the following software:
IpaqFoldable Keyboard V4.03
Windows Media Control for Pocket IE
WESTTEK ClearVue Worksheet Viewer
WESTTECK ClearVue
Resco Stickies
Resco Registry Add-in
Resco Picture Viewer Sync Module
Resco Picture Viewer
Resco RTP Add-in
Resco Explorer
Omega One Battery Pack Pro
Omega One 1-Calc
Microsoft Reader
Kasuei WiFi Graph
Kasuei Hitchhiker
Ilium Software eWallet
Ilium Software ListPro
Conduits Pocker Watch
ClearVue Viewer Required Components
Burr Oalk Software pTravelAlarm
BetaPlayer BetaPlayer
Astraware Bookworm

Most of this software was installed after I noticed the problem. I
suspected Battery Pack Pro, but there didn't seem to be any difference
after I de-installed it. Unless specified by the vendor all of the
software is installed in the Ipaq filestore on on the compact flash.

I also suspected my third party oversized battery. But again there was
no difference when I installed the standard battery that came with the
unit.

Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks,

Mike T.

More about : soft reset ipaq 4700

August 13, 2005 10:21:06 PM

The 4700 is the most stable iPAQ I've ever owned. I virtually never
have to soft reset it.

To determine what's causing the problem, I'd hard reset the unit and
see if it exhibits this problem with no 3rd party software installed.

If it doesn't, then you can be reasonably assured that it one of the
many programs you listed that's causing the problem. (Maybe assess
whether you really need all that stuff also)

Install them back ONE BY ONE until you find the culprit.

Good luck,

A_C

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:18:31 -0500, Mike Tipton
<mike_tipton@comcast.net> wrote:

>I recently purchased an Ipaq 4700. I really like it. The only problem
>is that more than 1/2 the time when I try to power it on I have to do
>a soft reset. Do I have a defective unit or is there some software
>giving me prolbems? I am running the following software:
>IpaqFoldable Keyboard V4.03
>Windows Media Control for Pocket IE
>WESTTEK ClearVue Worksheet Viewer
>WESTTECK ClearVue
>Resco Stickies
>Resco Registry Add-in
>Resco Picture Viewer Sync Module
>Resco Picture Viewer
>Resco RTP Add-in
>Resco Explorer
>Omega One Battery Pack Pro
>Omega One 1-Calc
>Microsoft Reader
>Kasuei WiFi Graph
>Kasuei Hitchhiker
>Ilium Software eWallet
>Ilium Software ListPro
>Conduits Pocker Watch
>ClearVue Viewer Required Components
>Burr Oalk Software pTravelAlarm
>BetaPlayer BetaPlayer
>Astraware Bookworm
>
>Most of this software was installed after I noticed the problem. I
>suspected Battery Pack Pro, but there didn't seem to be any difference
>after I de-installed it. Unless specified by the vendor all of the
>software is installed in the Ipaq filestore on on the compact flash.
>
>I also suspected my third party oversized battery. But again there was
>no difference when I installed the standard battery that came with the
>unit.
>
>Any ideas would be helpful
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike T.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:26:12 PM

My first guess would be the Kasuei software, then the BurrOak and then the
Astraware.

All the rest is pretty standard and work at many devices I know, including
4700s.

--
Helio Diamant
MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> The 4700 is the most stable iPAQ I've ever owned. I virtually never
> have to soft reset it.
>
> To determine what's causing the problem, I'd hard reset the unit and
> see if it exhibits this problem with no 3rd party software installed.
>
> If it doesn't, then you can be reasonably assured that it one of the
> many programs you listed that's causing the problem. (Maybe assess
> whether you really need all that stuff also)
>
> Install them back ONE BY ONE until you find the culprit.
>
> Good luck,
>
> A_C
>

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:18:31 -0500, Mike Tipton
> <mike_tipton@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I recently purchased an Ipaq 4700. I really like it. The only problem
>>is that more than 1/2 the time when I try to power it on I have to do
>>a soft reset. Do I have a defective unit or is there some software
>>giving me prolbems? I am running the following software:
>>IpaqFoldable Keyboard V4.03
>>Windows Media Control for Pocket IE
>>WESTTEK ClearVue Worksheet Viewer
>>WESTTECK ClearVue
>>Resco Stickies
>>Resco Registry Add-in
>>Resco Picture Viewer Sync Module
>>Resco Picture Viewer
>>Resco RTP Add-in
>>Resco Explorer
>>Omega One Battery Pack Pro
>>Omega One 1-Calc
>>Microsoft Reader
>>Kasuei WiFi Graph
>>Kasuei Hitchhiker
>>Ilium Software eWallet
>>Ilium Software ListPro
>>Conduits Pocker Watch
>>ClearVue Viewer Required Components
>>Burr Oalk Software pTravelAlarm
>>BetaPlayer BetaPlayer
>>Astraware Bookworm
>>
>>Most of this software was installed after I noticed the problem. I
>>suspected Battery Pack Pro, but there didn't seem to be any difference
>>after I de-installed it. Unless specified by the vendor all of the
>>software is installed in the Ipaq filestore on on the compact flash.
>>
>>I also suspected my third party oversized battery. But again there was
>>no difference when I installed the standard battery that came with the
>>unit.
>>
>>Any ideas would be helpful
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mike T.
Related resources
August 14, 2005 2:26:13 PM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:26:12 +0300, "Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile
Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com> wrote:

>My first guess would be the Kasuei software, then the BurrOak and then the
>Astraware.
>
>All the rest is pretty standard and work at many devices I know, including
>4700s.

Another possibility is the 1.1 firmware. I actually had to back-out to
1.0 because of instability on mine.

A_C
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 8:45:23 PM

Today I loaded the most recent version of the firmware (at HP's
behest). An update to 1.10 released on 8/3/05. The update did not fix
the problem. The HP tech will be calling me tomorrow for an update.

Mike T.

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:46:38 -0400, Agent_C

!